January 2016 Moms

Sleep pattern changes

My LO is almost 7 weeks. At night he had been consistently sleeping 3-hour stretches, jumped to 5 for a week or so, then down to 4 for another week. Then all of a sudden he slept almost 7 hours the night before last. Of course I assumed it was a miraculous anomaly, but then he did it again last night!

I don't want to get my hopes up that he'll make a habit of it because it seems like too dramatic of a change to happen from one day to the next. Or does it work like that? Maybe it has to do with a growth spurt? For those of you whose LO's sleep long stretches, was it a gradual or sudden increase in hours?

Re: Sleep pattern changes

• My baby has done this too. She's slept 6 hours, then go back to waking up every two hours, then up to 4, seemingly without rhyme or reason. If you LO is gaining weight and has enough wet diapers, don't worry too much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • My LO had been sleeping, at longest, a 5 hour stretch and then up every 1.5 to 2 hours after that. Around 7 weeks, one night she randomly slept 9 hours! I was totally freaked out and up all night checking on her at all her normal waking times. I thought it was a fluke, but has pretty much stayed that way since. So, for us, it was a very sudden change and not gradual at all.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sooner than later your LO will start sleeping 7 hours straight. When my LO starts sleeping 7 hours for like 5 days straight I think I can safely say that she is sleeping through the night, but she is not at 10 weeks. She wakes up on average every 4-5 hours to feed and get a diaper change. Only once has she slept for 7 hours. Otherwise for me it seems like a sudden thing. My LO has just started sleeping a little longer than usual.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Could be growth- babies will eat a lot for a few days and they sleep a lot for a few days. I've also known people who had fantastic sleepers for a long time and then all of a sudden one night it's gone so you just never know. For the first 2 years I feel like as soon as you think you've figured it out it changes. Between sleep regressions/ learning leaps/ growth spurts/ teething/ illnesses (hopefully not) on top of the regular shifts in sleep needs expect a lot of changes and just enjoy the nice long sleeps when you have them :smile: 
  • My LO is 2 months today and she's been doing 6 hours, bottle, then another 2 hours consistently for probably 2 weeks. Occasionally, that long stretch is only 4 hours, but who am I to complain? Her sleep changes have been during the day! The whole, "I refuse to nap until big brother is awake from his nap so you can't possibly get a damn thing packed for the move" kind of gig... She absolutely refuses to nap unless she's being held! I try to wrap/wear her and she won't sleep in that anymore! I swear, this move isn't going to happen until both littles are in college...
  • Ugh! I wish LO was sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at night.  He's 12w and still only makes it to 3 1/2 at most.  He is taking 3-4, 30-45 minute naps during the day still and he gives one good stretch of 4 hours sometime between 2-7.  We feed him around then and he's up until 8:30-9 then he goes back down for the "night".  He wakes around midnight or so and then again around 4.  

He ends up sleeping about 14-16 hours a day still, but we are hoping he gets into a better routine soon.