Babies: 3 - 6 Months

PPD Returning After Going Back to Work

I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this. My doctor diagnosed me with PPD early on at about three weeks PP. I have been on medication since and felt like things have gone back to normal. However, I returned to work 2.5 weeks ago, (baby is almost 4 months) and I feel like the PPD is returning. I cry ALL the time. I am constantly feel overwhelmed and feel like there is not enough time in the day. It just seems like everything is piling up. I feel absolutely horrible about my PP body all of a sudden, my sex drive is not existent, and to top it all off, I am feeling guilty about leaving baby. My husband is so supportive and by baby is so good. He sleeps through the night and only cries if he is hungry. I love them both so much and I know I don't have it that bad and things could be sooo much worse, but I just feel so overwhelmed and sad all the time, like something has to give.

Have any of you gone through this? Is it just returning to work blues? Does it get better? Or is it just me? I am at the point where I feel like I may need to go back to the doctor, but at the same time I feel like I should just wait it out. I hate that I am still on the medication and I don't want to stay on it, but at what point do I say enough is enough I need more help? Any advice you all have would be so helpful.

Re: PPD Returning After Going Back to Work

• Going back to work is a tough thing. I didn't have PPD at all but had a hard time working full time. Sleep deprivation got worse, I felt guilty, started eating crap. I work night shift and my mom watches him sometimes and I got major guilt over her losing sleep if he has a rough night. He's been teething and I feel horrible about having to leave him if he's hurting but I can't call out all the time either. I can't get my house clean  (I use to keep a clean house) and grocery store and cooking is a major ordeal. It's like I'm failing at the June Cleaver crap but when I'm home I just want to enjoy my lil guy. Oh and going back to work totally screwed me up with breastfeeding and early weaning was emotional.  I just keep on going and think about everything  I'm greatful for even if its hard.  I can't imagine doing this and having ppd. Talk to your OB rather than waiting  it out. Maybe medication adjustment or therapy referral? Pretty sure there's an online group for PPD which is a good thing because I don't think most people can understand it unless they have been through it. Good luck. I hope things get better. 
  • I struggled a lot with going back to work. What helped me was taking of random days when I did go back I went back part time and only worked 10 days my first month back. I realize not everyone can do that, but just a thought if you can. 
    I am on month 3 back now and it is still difficult for me but the anxiety attacks have at least stopped. 
    I didn't go see my doctor over mine but I am sure I had full blown PPD from coming back to work. I don't know if it would have helped for me to be on medication but had it not gotten better I probably would have asked for some.

Hang in there momma, it does get better. Mine is getting better slowly, but somedays I call in just because I want to snuggle at home
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely call your doc because maybe your medication needs to be adjusted.

You should be proud that you went and talked to someone about your PPD because lots of women are ashamed of it. So what if you're on medication. It doesn't have to be forever but for now, you are doing what you need to do to get by and that's great. Hang in there.