January 2016 Moms
Options

EP schedule?

I EP and DS is almost 11 weeks. Everything I've read says pump every 3 hours until 12 weeks and then you can get more lax. Wondering how many pumps I need to keep my supply up. We have just dropped one MOTN pump bc he started sleeping. So I pump at 1-630-830-10/11-1/2-5-7-9. That's just an idea. Would like to drop to 6 for convenience. I know I'll need the 1 am for a while. I will add I have an over supply and pump double what he eats, which I want to keep if possible. 

Re: EP schedule?

• Options
    I don't have good advice, but I am wondering what increments you freeze in. I have an over supply as well but I EBF. I occasionally pump for relief bc LO only eats so much. I was told 4oz but I wonder if that's a good amount. I occasionally freeze in 5 oz but I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Advice?
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    I EP and I get away with only 5/6 times a day.  I don't do middle of the night pumps at all. I know I have bad pumping habits!  Also I freeze 5oz since LO usually eats 4 but sometimes 4.5/5 oz.  That way I know that portion will be enough. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am primarily EBF, and pump once in the morning due to over supply. My husband will randomly bottle feed her so they can have some bonding time after he gets home. I have been freezing in 4oz and 2 oz portions, and marking the tops of the bags so I can easily tell which is which. I figure if she needs more than just the 4 oz, it's a lot less wasted. She will go to a nanny when I return to work in April.
  • Options
    I'm back at work, LO is going on 9 weeks. I pump 7 or 6 times a day and try to do one as a power pump since I don't do 8. I pump around 1am 5am 7am 11am 3pm 6pm and 9pm. This is to work around my work schedule. 
  • Options
    My guy eats at least 5oz at a time and we're working towards at least 6. Trying to gradually eliminate night feeds. 
  • Options
    ekscopp said:
    I don't have good advice, but I am wondering what increments you freeze in. I have an over supply as well but I EBF. I occasionally pump for relief bc LO only eats so much. I was told 4oz but I wonder if that's a good amount. I occasionally freeze in 5 oz but I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Advice?
    I use the target brand bags and fill them. He eats 4.5 oz bottles right now. I make his bottles in the morning for the day the freeze the rest. I like for him to have night milk at night for the melatonin. Who knows if it helps but whatever works right! KFrob said:
    I EP and I get away with only 5/6 times a day.  I don't do middle of the night pumps at all. I know I have bad pumping habits!  Also I freeze 5oz since LO usually eats 4 but sometimes 4.5/5 oz.  That way I know that portion will be enough. 
    Do you get crazy engorged in the morning? My chest hurts bad by 7 am if I haven't pumped in a few hours. How long do you space it during the day? Is it on a specific schedule or just every few? Right now I pump when he eats and that sets our schedule for the day. 
  • Options
    My guy eats at least 5oz at a time and we're working towards at least 6. Trying to gradually eliminate night feeds. 
    How long did it take for your body to adjust to the every 4 hours? 
  • Options
    6240662406 member
    edited March 2016
    I EP and my current schedule is to pump at the following times 5, 8, 11, 2, 5, 7:30, and then one final time at 10:30/11.  I am still on leave so this schedule will change when I go back to work in mid April.

Currently DD is 7 weeks and eats 3.5 ounces every 3-4 hours.  At night she's been going 5-6 hour stretches between feedings.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    I currently pump every 2.5-3 hours during the day (it depends on how fussy or active LO is!) and then 3-4 hours at night.  At 12 weeks, I'm going to space out the night feedings a little more, maybe 4-5 hours.  

I don't pump at set times yet because I'm home alone with LO most times so I just try to pump whenever she sleeps or I can put her calmly in her swing.  Once I go back to work I'll definitely pump on a timed schedule though.  Even without pumping at set times, I make sure to always pump at least 8 times a day for now.
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    Cejiml said:
    ekscopp said:
    I use the target brand bags and fill them. He eats 4.5 oz bottles right now. I make his bottles in the morning for the day the freeze the rest. I like for him to have night milk at night for the melatonin. Who knows if it helps but whatever works right! KFrob said:
    Do you get crazy engorged in the morning? My chest hurts bad by 7 am if I haven't pumped in a few hours. How long do you space it during the day? Is it on a specific schedule or just every few? Right now I pump when he eats and that sets our schedule for the day. 
    It used to be really bad. I would be extremely sore and leaky but it's gotten better, almost like my boobs got used to the schedule. During the day is usually about every 3 hours. When my husband is home I do it everytime LO eats.  I don't have a set schedule, but I'm going back to work soon and I'm sure at that point it will be set.