May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday 3/10/16

Re: UO Thursday 3/10/16

• missnc77 said:
    PYLWhammy said:
    I don't like my Snoogle. In fact, I only use occasionally it to prop myself up when reading or something. It's not comfortable to sleep with. Maybe I'll go back to it in the final 2 months of pregnancy..otherwise waste of 60 bucks!
    I agree. My pug, however, thinks we're crazy for not appreciating the power of the snoogle. 
    It looks like you have a baby harp seal in there!! Too cute!

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • missnc77 said:
    PYLWhammy said:
    I don't like my Snoogle. In fact, I only use occasionally it to prop myself up when reading or something. It's not comfortable to sleep with. Maybe I'll go back to it in the final 2 months of pregnancy..otherwise waste of 60 bucks!
    I agree. My pug, however, thinks we're crazy for not appreciating the power of the snoogle. 
    OMG.. The cuteness. Maybe I'll 'donate' my snoogle to my dog...if she doesn't like sleeping on it, she'll enjoy ripping it up.
  • Aquinna82 said:
    dsmith211 said:
    My UO is boobs. To be more specific, uncovered breastfeeding boobs. 

I breastfeed, I totally agree it is a woman's prerogative to feed her baby however she wants, in any state of undress. But boobs in public make me uncomfortable.  I don't like seeing myself breastfeed let alone a stranger. 

I'm a prude.
    I'm going to leave this here:

https://youtu.be/pEQdehD8IDo
    I love you for posting this. I actually showed this to DH when I found it awhile back and he was floored people actually acted like that. I have a feeling if anyone ever says anything to me and he's around he will probably get a little ragey. It's actually a 'touchy' subject for him bc he just found out not too long ago he wasn't breastfed bc his own dad (father of the year... :neutral: ) would get upset bc he 'didn't like it' and was got jealous about it.
    TBO I'm afraid of this.  I'm afraid I'll be alone somewhere and have to breastfeed and someone will come up to me like these people and make a scene.  And then what do you do...it's not like you can just walk away.  I feel like I want to have a canned response ready.
    I don't know if it will alleviate your fears but I never had a problem with my first. If anyone was bothered I never knew. Now this was in a fairly liberal hippy college town, where I no longer live, so I'm a bit more nervous this time. But I've already decided I will be a raging you know what if anyone says boo to me. I like to use a light muslin Swaddle to cover but not always, just depends. And if they say anything while I'm covered I'm soooooooo taking it off, because that is my legal right. There are too many other things to deal with rather than having to worry about other people's issues with a normal, appropriate activity.
  • tgortneytgortney member
    edited March 2016
    dsmith211 said:
    I love you for posting this. I actually showed this to DH when I found it awhile back and he was floored people actually acted like that. I have a feeling if anyone ever says anything to me and he's around he will probably get a little ragey. It's actually a 'touchy' subject for him bc he just found out not too long ago he wasn't breastfed bc his own dad (father of the year... :neutral: ) would get upset bc he 'didn't like it' and was got jealous about it.
    Wooow! Father of the year, clearly! I can't even imagine a grown man being jealous of HIS BABY! I think DH would be upset if I didn't at least try to breastfeed our son. 
  • dshannah said:
    "Men react to babies like this..." "They don't feel like fathers til baby's born..." "Men are clueless about babies..." "Men haven't wanted kids as long as the ladies have..."

YES

I was -- and still am -- the partner in this relationship who didn't really want kids. My husband did. He talked me into it. He is already way more attached to this tiny alien parasite than I am.

Me, I would have been totally happy with dogs forever. Still would be, to be honest.
  • My UO (get ready to flame away) is IDGAF about global warming. I'm aware of how ignorant I am to it but I am just not passionate about it. But i have to say, i did enjoy reading all these posts. I recycle tho! 

I suck at cooking and I think it's because all the men in my family have always been the cooks and I never learned. I did however marry a very patient man who teaches me sometimes and I at least enjoy hanging out with him in the kitchen while he cooks. And then I clean up afterwards. 

I would beat some a$$ if someone told me BF my child was disgusting. Don't look. And I'm fairly prudish too. God love that woman for helping out! 

My personal UO is that I'm not into music. I listen to whatever's on the radio but it doesn't speak to me like it does other people. I envy that. 

Sorry for the book...its rare I can actually post on here with the app so sometimes I get carried away lol 

• My plan if a guy ever says something about how breastfeeding is disgusting is to ask if he's ever peed in public (which most men have)- also a natural bodily function that involves whipping out something that's usually covered up. Can't really judge me if he's done it, too. 
  • Kurrant said:
    Looks like it's not an UO much here but I also hate the BFing shaming that goes on. I am fairly certain this is another thing that I won't have to go through. I see a lot of ladies here in NZ openly Breastfeeding with no negative flack from people. I was actually at the mall recently and I sat down on a bench for a moment and a lady sat next to me, started to BF with no cover and started a conversation. I didn't think much of it at first then I thought to myself " I'm surprised no one has made a face or comment" i was talking to my Gp about it and she said that she has heard and thinks that it's mostly a USA thing. It's funny how double standard it is. Your ass and boobs hang out but it's ok cause that's your outfit, but feed your baby?!?!? How dare you!!!! It's such a natural thing. Get over it and mind your own business people!
    exactly this! I do know we (in NZ) have the occasional person who gets shamed, but the shamer gets slamed pretty fast here. On the weekend I went to a local event, was like a big gala day in the local domain. A couple of women were sitting down in the middle of the field BFing, and I thought it was awsome! With my first child I actually had comments to the opposite - as in "your fine to BF here don't hesitate" - as soon as they saw I had an infant. I love NZ lol
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Everyone at work is obsessed with "Hello" by Adele and I hate that song. As far as I can tell, it's about how she broke someone's heart and years later is harassing someone who obviously doesn't want to talk to her in order to "apologize".

Sorry, but when someone breaks my heart they are dead to me and I don't want anything to do with them ever again. And calling someone 1000 times is stalking! The whole song just creeps me out. Leave the poor guy alone. 
    It's about her talking to her old self that was going through a hard breakup (her album 21) and a dark period in her life. So essentially she's singing to her old self now that she's in a better place.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Spylon said:

I hate grilled cheese sandwiches.

Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• yogahh said:
    Bltbear82 said:
    swflJD said:
    My UO is that it rubs me the wrong way when I get mail addressed to Mr. and Mrs. [DH's first and last name]. First of all, my last name is a hyphenated combination of my maiden name and DH's last name. Second, it's like, "Hello! I have my own first name, too!" I don't go around calling myself Mrs. DH! I know it's traditionally appropriate to address formal correspondence that way, but it really irks me. I think it would still bother me just as much, even if I had taken DH's last name.
    I take more offense when someone gets my first name wrong. As a Lauren I've been called Laura, Laurie etc. Before the holidays we had DH's department over for drinks and one of them wrote us a lovely thank you note, except he called me Laura. Although at preschool I don't always remember the parents names so I'll call them "so and so's mom" which I guess might be equally annoying to someone. 
    Kinda the same... but I hate when people misspell my name. My name is Melissa. Easy spelling. My boss, who I have worked for 5 years now, has spelled it every way under the sun. Learn how to spell it already!! She once somehow spelled it with dollar signs. It was something like Melli$a. Not sure how she did that, but I felt like a rock star!
    I get called Daniel even though it is spelled Danielle. They call me Daniel even when I'm standing in front of them and they see I'm a girl.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• tgortney said:
    AmmyBelle said:

My UO is I am still not used to and dislike American-style iced tea drinks. The two places I'm from (Europe, Canada) have a sweeter iced tea with various flavous like peach or passion fruit that taste saturated with flavour. And here in the US, I always forget that iced tea is literally just iced tea. And then I order it and taste it and am like "Damn, I forgot. Why? Why, America!?" :neutral: 
    It's probably because you don't live in the south! (Excluding FL because we all know, FL is not part of the south, just a bunch of old people)

We love sweet iced tea! Berries, peaches, etc! Bring them on  :p
    I grow different kinds of mint in the summer time and put it in my sweet tea. It's AMAZING. I do agree that it's a Southern thing.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• My UO is boobs. To be more specific, uncovered breastfeeding boobs. 

I breastfeed, I totally agree it is a woman's prerogative to feed her baby however she wants, in any state of undress. But boobs in public make me uncomfortable.  I don't like seeing myself breastfeed let alone a stranger. 

I'm a prude.
    I'm with you. I BF DD1 and plan to BF DD2. I always went to the car or went to a secluded area where I knew no one else was in public (at home it was a boobie free for all). 2 weeks ago DH and I were at a consignment sale and the women behind us and the women in front of us just whipped their boob completely out and stuck their toddler on it. That's fine but there was no covering whatsoever. DH was very supportive of my BFing and he was really uncomfortable with all the boobs out around him. haha
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• My UO is boobs. To be more specific, uncovered breastfeeding boobs. 

I'm a prude.

I will say to the video that first, the people who said anything to the BFing mom sounded like actors. Second, she was covered for the most part while BFing whereas my above comment was more towards women who have their shirt completely pulled down with full boob out without any discreetness.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Since we are talking breastfeeding, is there any other moms out there that know they are formula feeding?  I formula fed my daughter and plan to do the same with my second. 
  • dshannah said:
    My UO (which I really hope isn't an UO on this board) is that I hate all the heteronormative husband-bashing that comes along with pregnancy!

"Men react to babies like this..." "They don't feel like fathers til baby's born..." "Men are clueless about babies..." "Men haven't wanted kids as long as the ladies have..."

It makes me so darn mad.  

The worst culprit is the nurse who runs our prenatal class--last night she actually said that the men in the room wouldn't understand their partners after they'd given birth and wouldn't understand post-partum depression or the baby blues because they haven't been looking forward to having a baby their whole lives like all the wimmin have, because they hadn't been playing with dollies and "playing house" since they were little, and so they didn't realize the expectations and hopes that the moms in the room were having that might be different from the reality and thus contribute to PPD. 

Say what? Ugh. So many assumptions, so little time! If these are the low expectations we have of men, then no wonder we're still fighting for equal pay. 
    All of those things were true for my DH with DD1. Not so much now with DD2 though. Anytime I've said it on here as advice is bc I've experienced it firsthand. That, and most of the other moms I am friends with experienced this as well. I say these things on here (The Bump) so FTM's understand it is a real possibility their SO's won't understand and can be clueless, etc.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Aquinna82 said:
    dsmith211 said:
    My UO is boobs. To be more specific, uncovered breastfeeding boobs. 

I'm a prude.

TBO I'm afraid of this.  I'm afraid I'll be alone somewhere and have to breastfeed and someone will come up to me like these people and make a scene.  And then what do you do...it's not like you can just walk away.  I feel like I want to have a canned response ready.
    F%&$ off. You can cuss until they're closer to toddlerhood ;)
    What she said! 
    I'm already planning my responses in my head.  I've decided that when some a$$wipe wants to say something about me about breastfeeding in public that mama bear will come out and cut them down to size verbally. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • VS2016 said:
    Since we are talking breastfeeding, is there any other moms out there that know they are formula feeding?  I formula fed my daughter and plan to do the same with my second. 
    I'm trying to stay positive but I just had a breast reduction and lift a month before I got pg (yeah I know I'm a dumbass). So I may very well not be able to BF this one. I am planning for both but hoping for BFing. Either way, I don't look down on formula feeding. I look down on not feeding your child period.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• VS2016 said:
    Since we are talking breastfeeding, is there any other moms out there that know they are formula feeding?  I formula fed my daughter and plan to do the same with my second. 
    I don't know I'm going to formula feed, but if I'm being honest, I think there's a pretty good chance I will end up there.

I'm going to give breastfeeding a fair shot, but my threshold for how much pain and inconvenience I'm willing to tolerate in service of that particular crusade is really low. If it doesn't go smoothly, I'm gonna peace out pretty early on. I am not up for battling bloody nipples or mastitis or whatever else. All that stuff gets a great big "PASS" from me.
  • arj14 said:
    2nd UO:  I hate it when people are looked down on for having low earning jobs, like fast food workers, and waitstaff, and whatever else.  It enrages me.  If you don't think it's hard work being on your feet all day and dealing with people being dickwads to you about things that you have no control over, then I suggest trying it and seeing how you feel.  That's not to say everyone gets a free pass, because obviously sometimes the workers are dickwads themselves.
    So much this! I was a bagger at a grocery store in high school and then a cashier into my first year of college. One time when I was bagging, a lady called me a spoiled brat because I didn't help her put her groceries on the turn table. Are you F'ING kidding me! I am 16 years old, making minimum wage, working as a bagger to have enough money to pay for my own phone and car insurance and whatever else I needed while traveling to and from running start, and you are going to call ME the spoiled brat! I was livid! Some people are just miserable assholes and need to be put in their place one day.
    TTC#1 January 2013, BFP 7/4/13 MC 8/7/13 D&C 8/22/13
    BFP 5/20/14 CP 5/26/14
    BFP 12/6/14 DD Born an Angel on 7/17/15 at 35 weeks
    An Angel in The Book of Life
    Wrote Down Our Baby's Birth
    And Whispered as She Closed the Book
    Too Beautiful for Earth...
    TTC#2 August 2015 BFP 9/10/15 EDD 5/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• TBO I'm afraid of this.  I'm afraid I'll be alone somewhere and have to breastfeed and someone will come up to me like these people and make a scene.  And then what do you do...it's not like you can just walk away.  I feel like I want to have a canned response ready.
    F%&$ off. You can cuss until they're closer to toddlerhood ;)
    What she said! 
    I'm already planning my responses in my head.  I've decided that when some a$$wipe wants to say something about me about breastfeeding in public that mama bear will come out and cut them down to size verbally. 
    Haha.  Honestly, the response in my head NOW is definitely along these lines.  I guess I'm more afraid that I'll freeze up when I'm actually vulnerable in the situation.  Which is not my usual MO - in general I'm a take-no-shit kind of girl, but there have been a few times during my pregnancy when I've been in situations where I should have just told someone where to do and I just kinda froze instead.  I just added those instances to the "weird things that pregnancy is doing to me" list and moved on, but I hope it doesn't last PP.
  • VS2016 said:
    I may. I had a really difficulty time of it with my first and ended up exclusively pumping for 6 months! I am going to be a lot easier on myself this time, I will what I can for as long as I can, but I'm not going to be anywhere near as hard on myself as I was the first time around. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Merciel said:
    VS2016 said:
    I don't know I'm going to formula feed, but if I'm being honest, I think there's a pretty good chance I will end up there.

I'm going to give breastfeeding a fair shot, but my threshold for how much pain and inconvenience I'm willing to tolerate in service of that particular crusade is really low. If it doesn't go smoothly, I'm gonna peace out pretty early on. I am not up for battling bloody nipples or mastitis or whatever else. All that stuff gets a great big "PASS" from me.
    this is exactly me too. I'm open to trying it but given all my fears and ambivalence about it I think if baby doesn't take to BF pretty easily I'm not going to spend much time troubleshooting. And I'm not going to feel guilty about it.
  • Ever since I got pregnant, I cannot stand the smell or taste of pizza. My poor partner manages a pizza shop. He stinks like Chuck E Cheese when he gets home from work. 
  • vinerie said:
    PYLWhammy said:
    How tall are you? I'm 6 feet tall and I think the snuggle needs another 4 inches for it to work with me. So, yeah, count me in the $60 loss club. Actually, I think mine cost more than that. :( 
    I'm 6'2", glad I didn't get one