2nd Trimester

Sleeping Woes!

I have always been a great sleeper......on my stomach!  As this belly of mine starts to pop out I have had some difficulties adjusting to side sleeping.  I invested in a Snoogle, but I find even though it's really comfortable I get super hot cuddled up to that under a light blanket.  I am really not sleeping very well, and I keep telling myself this is the time to get ALL the sleep!  :smile: 

I'm 16 weeks pregnant right now, so any tips or tricks to help me get better quality sleep would be the best! 

Thanks! 

Re: Sleeping Woes!

• Unisom. It is literally the only thing saving me right now. I am only taking 1/2 tablet, but it is enough to keep me sleeping well through the night. 
  • I have always been a great sleeper......on my stomach!  As this belly of mine starts to pop out I have had some difficulties adjusting to side sleeping.  I invested in a Snoogle, but I find even though it's really comfortable I get super hot cuddled up to that under a light blanket.  I am really not sleeping very well, and I keep telling myself this is the time to get ALL the sleep!  :smile: 

I'm 16 weeks pregnant right now, so any tips or tricks to help me get better quality sleep would be the best! 

Thanks! 
    Unfortunately, I have found it only gets worse as pregnancy progresses! I slept pretty well until third trimester. Now I am up peeing several times a night, being woken by heartburn, feeling congested and snoring and looking more than a tad ridiculous when I try to switch from one side to the other due to this humungous belly! 
    If the snoogle isn't working, maybe use some normal pillow to prop up your belly? That's what I do and it hasn't been bad in that respect! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought a snoogle too but had the same issue.  I think I may like it
    more once I'm bigger.  Last night I used a king size pillow so it was long enough to fit under my belly and my knee (which I had pulled up at an angle).  That was actually pretty comfortable so may stick with that for now.  I will admit I wake often in the night because I've rolled on to my stomach and it's uncomfortable so I'm really not sleeping great.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • I am with @PhoebeJune1984 unisom is my only saving grace. I feel your pain OP sleep is a constant struggle for me but mine is related to piriformis and sciatica. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I'm probably one of the only people who hasn't invested in a snoogle or pregnancy pillow. At almost 26 weeks, I'm finding it more difficult to stay asleep because of heartburn instead of being uncomfortable. I've always been a side sleeper, so it hasn't been THAT big of an issue, but this week has been interesting though, as I feel like my belly grew about 4 inches in 3 days. Might try sleeping with a pillow between my knees to lift my hip up and untwist my back. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never invested in a snoogle, just a body pillow. I take 1/4 or 1/2 of a unisom and that is the only thing that works for me. I have a Fitbit that tracks my sleep so I tried a week without unisom and I averaged 5 hours a night, with it I get 7-8 depending on when I get to bed and when my kids wake me up. 

• I'm having a hard time sleeping with my snoogle! My left hand falls asleep because it's usually under the pillow. I also toss and turn a lot which is near impossible with the snoogle. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• I'm a stomach sleeper too. I've been using my snoogle backwards, and that seems to be working right now. (Not me, random Toys R Us image showing the right position)

I also put another smooshy pillow up by my head, on top of snoogle, so my shoulder isn't crunched.

I don't get hot with the snoogle... My husband has retaliated against me taking up all the bed by taking ALL the covers. (in his sleep, so I can't get mad. Jerk.)

• Unfortunately, sleep has only gotten harder as my pregnancy has progressed. I'm 32 weeks now and do find the snoogle helpful but I'm up at least 3-4 times a night to pee or because of back/hip pain or when my own snoring startles me awake (glamorous!) or heartburn...and the list goes on. The best I can do is make sure I'm as active as possible during the day to maximize tiredness and I push myself to join my H for our dogs' evening walk every night. Good luck! 
  • Kellyj103 said:
    I'm having a hard time sleeping with my snoogle! My left hand falls asleep because it's usually under the pillow. I also toss and turn a lot which is near impossible with the snoogle. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I think the snoogle is really comfy and helps me not have hip pain, but it is definitely annoying when I want to roll over. I wake up every time now because it's hard to adjust. Add RLP with the rolling over and it's lots of fun! (Luckily, I've only had one night so far when that was really bad).

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017