February 2016 Moms

Cranky time?

Anyone else's LO have a daily cranky period? The past few days between 7-10 he will just be on and off miserable for no apparent reason. He'll be fed, clean diaper, snuggled or laying down. We thought it might be gas but gas drops aren't helping. I'm afraid to think it could be colic but not sure what else could be going on. 

Re: Cranky time?

• Yes. They call it the witching hour. Most babies have a cranky period every day. My babie's is from around 7pm to 9 or 10 also. Sometimes we're lucky and he goes down to sleep around 8:30 but that's hit and miss.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD has had her witching hour for a few nights from 8-10. I made a couple changes to her feeding atmosphere right before then and it seems to have helped as she hasn't been cranky in a couple days.
    I have gone into my bedroom to feed her instead of staying on the recliner in the living room. This has created a much calmer place as there is no TV noise, bright lights from the kitchen and no toddler running around so she doesn't get over-stimulated. And I make sure all my needs are met (i.e. have eaten, gone to the bathroom, have water on hand) and I have stopped worrying about getting DS to bed on time or anything else that needs to get done so I am much calmer. These changes seem to have made for a much calmer/sleepy baby.

• Loading the player...
  • Ours has the same crabby time :) 
  • Our LO is he same. He is really fussy between about 6-9 every night. We joke that he knows that is when we want to eat and actually sit down and relax for the night. I've added in an extra small feeding at 6 pm and then usually hand him over to DH around 730-8. I'm with him all day and I'm not sure if my patience is being tested and DH is just calmer than me most nights or he is a change of pace being a different person than who DS has had all day but that seems to help. It also lets me remove my active toddler from The picture and start bedtime for him. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all! I'm still a little gun shy after our first few days home when we were having a feeding issue I didn't pick up. I keep feeling like I'm missing cues from him and second guessing myself but sounds like this is perfectly normal :) Appreciate the feedback! 
  • My LO seems to alternate cranky times. He either is really fussy from around 10a-1p or from 7p until bed. Last night DH handled cranky time. During the afternoon/ early evening, LO is consistently calm and routinely naps.
  • Yup, right around the same time for us too! 
  • Same here, from about 7-10pm. I have noticed when our toddler isn't around (daddy takes her to play someplace) DS is a little better. Its usually pretty loud around the house with a toddler and I think by that time of night DS is starting to wind down and is probably over all the chaos of the day (I know I am ;) ). 
  • Ours is the same time too. And like other posters have said, if our toddler isn't around she is better. My son had colic though and I'm definitely worried she'll have it as well. He had silent reflux and was on Zantac twice a day, which helped. 
  • I'll start out saying I didn't read any other responses yet, but my LO's pedi just told me about "cranky time" yesterday at his appointment. She said between 2 weeks and 2-3 months that babies can have a time during the day where they are just cranky/ fussy for no reason and that it's completely normal. I'm lucky enough for my LO to have two periods throughout the day for a couple hours each where I can't get anything done because if I put him down he screams for no reason. 
  • Yes. My LO is cranky from 6-8pm until we start our bedtime routine. She is happier if she is in her room alone being rocked without her two year old brother around.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So glad you asked this and to see these responses. My little one goes through the same thing from 6-9 at night also! And sometimes in the morning. Good to know this is normal and we are not the only one. 
  • @srecupido I had supply issues with DD1, so my mind always goes to that, too. Last night was LOs first really fussy evening, and I found this reassuring: https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

• VitaLuna said:
    @srecupido I had supply issues with DD1, so my mind always goes to that, too. Last night was LOs first really fussy evening, and I found this reassuring: https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/
    Oh love that one- thanks!!  I've been learning how awesome kelly mom is! 
  • Totally normal! It's the witching hour (more like witching 4 hours). It will pass, or maybe come and go, and I know it's super frustrating. I'm dreading when Paige starts with this. That's our hardest time because I'm feeding, bathing, reading, and getting the other kids to bed. Plus H works till 9. But yeah, it's totally nurmal so just do your best.

• Yes! Plus cluster feeding. The past few nights its been 10pm to 2am-3am. Tonight I'm praying he had an earlier bout from 6pm to 9pm. Thankfully DH is real helpful which helps me to be able to get some sleep. Its all worth it though.

DS (2.29.16) via Homebirth

~ Proverbs 22:6 ~