February 2016 Moms
Options

C-section drainage

I went to the doctor when I woke up and showered I noticed some drainage from my incision. The doctor said that it is perfectly normal. It's fluid buildup from the IV along with the swelling. Have any of you ladies dealt with this? How are you saving your panties from the leakage?

Re: C-section drainage

• Options
    I had this 5 weeks pp for just one day (it freaked me out). I just folded up a a paper towel to catch any leakage. I've read that some people stick a panty liner in the top of their underwear though. 
  • Options
    I'm only 1 week pp from my c section but I got lots of the extra hospital undies as well as the giant pads. I removed the dressing from my incision today so I put on one of the giant diaper pads to where it comes up over the incision. It still looks so tender and swollen. I can't imagine wearing normal underwear or even pants!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my c section I had staples so part of my incision drained for about 3 weeks. My OB told me the incision was healing from the inside out and that it was perfectly normal. I'm now 5 weeks postpartum and the drainage has stopped and the incision looks less swollen and isn't red anymore. 
  • Options
    Keep a really close eye on it. If the drainage starts to change from thin/clear to something more milky/thick or just doesn't seem right, make sure you get back in. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Turns out mine was infected. I had quite a painful visit to the OB today where she was putting shots in my incision and squeezing it to get the fluid out. I cried like a baby on the table while my husband held our daughter in one hand and my hand in his other. More painful than anything I experienced in labor. She irrigated the wound and gave me gauze to change out every day as well as antibiotics. If the infection doesn't clear from that she said they'll need to reopen the incision...  :'( praying it heals and heals quickly. I'm so ready to recover.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    middy411 said:
    Turns out mine was infected. I had quite a painful visit to the OB today where she was putting shots in my incision and squeezing it to get the fluid out. I cried like a baby on the table while my husband held our daughter in one hand and my hand in his other. More painful than anything I experienced in labor. She irrigated the wound and gave me gauze to change out every day as well as antibiotics. If the infection doesn't clear from that she said they'll need to reopen the incision...  :'( praying it heals and heals quickly. I'm so ready to recover.
    That sounds awful!!  I hope you heal up good now. 
  • Options
    @middy411 that sounds awful. I hope it heals up quickly for you! 
  • Options
    I had the same thing happen after my c section. Stood up after using toilet and noticed fast dripping blood running down my legs. It was very scary but after talking to doctor it made sense as dr confirmed since I was so swollen in my last 2 months of pregnancy, I had excessive fluid that was trying to get out. I was instructed to apply pressure and cold compress to stop the dripping and then after press around my stitches to try to get any more fluid out . I also was prescribed an antibiotic for the infection and my hubby given orders to press near the opening at least once a day to get the swelling/fluid out.