November 2016 Moms

Bachelorette Party at 8 weeks

Hi all, 

I've taken a look at previous threads about travelling in first tri, and I know it's just fine. I have a question for those of you who attended bachelorette parties in first tri - I have one coming up in Vegas (will be flying) and I'll be at the 8 week mark. Any tips on how to stay comfy during that kind of trip? I'm giving the bride a heads up before we leave, and the other girls will know too (not making a big announcement, just more of a heads up). I'm anticipating lots of walking during the trip up and down the strip, and as I'm not sure what my symptoms will be, I'm looking for any tips you all have! 

Thanks in advance :smile: 
<BabyFetus Ticker >

Re: Bachelorette Party at 8 weeks

• Drink lots of water and always keep snacks handy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks spacepotatoes! Will do. 
    <BabyFetus Ticker >
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe grab a sea band and ginger candies.  Unfortunately, theres a strong possibility this will not be fun :( 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Good call, thanks! I have a feeling you are right.... I guess I'll just have to see how it goes leading up (luckily I got travel insurance when I booked the flights). 
    <BabyFetus Ticker >
  • Make sure you're on an aisle seat to the front of the plane. The further back in the plane, the more you feel the turbulence. Vegas is notorious for nasty bumps on the descent. I fly for a living and into Vegas all the time, so if you have any flight questions, I'm your girl! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • That is great advice! I am going to do that today - I had thought of the aisle seat, but not the front of the plan part. I plan on bringing a cold pack that you break and shake, since I get super warm when nauseous. 

Question - is it perfectly safe to go through the body scan machines at the airport? I've seen both sides. And can totally ask my dr, but checking here too! 
    <BabyFetus Ticker >
  • As far as I know they're perfectly safe these days (i'm pretty sure it was only the older versions that you really needed to avoid). You can always opt out and have the lovely TSA agents give you a pat down. It'll take a bit longer but if you would feel better about that then go for it. They're legally required to give you that option- just tell the agent at the scanner that you would prefer that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, perfectly safe. In fact, you will be exposed to more radiation DURING THE FLIGHT than during the body scan machine. That said, I was paranoid and never went through one in my last pregnancy. They are happy to do a pat down, and I always asked them to.
  • Thanks all! That is good to know. I will probably end up having the pat down. Should be a fun experience, ha. 
    <BabyFetus Ticker >
  • On the cold pack, put it on the back of your neck. That worked really well with my last pregnancy, when I had pretty severe MS!
  • Good tips on flying per above.
     One thing I'll add about the trip itself is that I went to a bachelorette party when I was pregnant last time (further along - I was 36 weeks!). I offered to be DD for a few of my close friends and regretted it IMMENSELY. Nothing worse than staying out late at a crowded and noisy bar when you feel like crap and are roughly the size of an elephant. You'll of course be smaller but might be feeling just as crappy. So I guess my advice is don't feel like you have to rally and party as hard as everyone else. Your friends will understand!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was just at a bachelorette party last weekend. It was only 1.5 hrs away (by car), so I just went home after dinner (they went out and partied and stayed in a hotel). Only the bride suspected something was up because I wasn't drinking and she flat out asked me if I were PG. I have a terrible poker face so I just admitted it to her. Oh well. 

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• Thank you all! I'll definitely use that on the back of my neck - that sounds amazing right now and I'm not even nauseous! I plan on taking it easy, and not being afraid to say no - I'll hang back. I'm hanging out with the bride before we go, so she will know ahead of time, and since I'm going to the airport with another one of the girls - I bet she'll figure it out when I ask for the pat down, ha. 

Now I just have to rush order a larger bridesmaid dress...
    <BabyFetus Ticker >
  • @cagirl18 out of curiosity, when is the wedding? I am in a wedding on the 30th of April and I'm a little nervous about fitting into my dress...

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• It's in the middle of July, so I'll be around 22 weeks. I have my dress already, and I already know it won't fit with any sort of bump or bloating. I was hoping to lose weight to fit into it better! 

Do you already have your dress? 
    <BabyFetus Ticker >
  • I have my dress and I absolutely hate it. I doubt I'll be super big in late April, but I bet I'll look fat in my dress since the bump will not be noticeable. =p I'm in my sister's wedding too (July 2nd) and I have that dress already. The cut is a lot more flattering and the fabric is stretchy so I think I will be ok for that one. And at that point I'll actually look pregnant so that's a plus. ;)

• I just got back from a bach on Sunday. It was at Disney and I flew. I'm 6 weeks. Honestly, I did everything I would have done had I not been pregnant except for drinking, etc. I went on the rides, walked everywhere and went through the scan. The only thing I would recommend is carrying snacks and making some time for a nap. I was beholden to the schedule of the group and I was a lot hungrier than them. Also, the days were filled with activities so a nap kept me going into the night. My only symptoms right now are fatigue and hunger. This is my second pregnancy so I feel pretty relaxed. 
  • @jarethinafrock It sounds like you are all set! I, for some reason, thought it would be nice to have a tight dress with pockets. None of that is going to look good - so it looks like I'll be finding a new style and paying for rush shipping. Oh well - worth it anyways :) 

@Weinbergboo thanks for those tips! I'm hoping the days won't be too packed, I know the nights are - so it will be nap city for me in the afternoons! I've been to Vegas a bunch before, so if I can't make it on a walk to see the Strip, so be it. 
    <BabyFetus Ticker >