October 2015 Moms

Day Care Violation Question

My LO's day care has 10 babies in his class which is over Texas' legal ratio. Our ratio here is 4 babies to every 1 provider. 
I want to report them, it seems like they can't handle all of those babies when they start to riot. But I have already had issues with this day care in another class, I want to be sure when you report to the state that they don't know who reports them. 

Anyone have experience with this? It'd also help if anyone either thinks I'm justified or talks me off my ledge. I don't know if I am overreacting. I go down there everyday at lunch and it is really hard for me to leave when they cannot handle the babies that are upset while I am there and taking care of my own child. 

Re: Day Care Violation Question

• In my province our ratios are 3 babies to 1 provider if the babies are under 1, 4 babies to 1 provider if they are 2 and it just goes up from there. If you are worried, maybe you could talk to the director and voice your concerns first. If your gut it telling you to report the daycare, then follow your gut. 
  • I don't know anything about the confidentiality of reporting so I'm sorry I can't be of any help in that regard, but I would definitely report them if you know they are in violation and are worried about their ability to adequately care for the children. My assumption would be that all reports are kept confidential, but, again, I can't say for sure. The safety of your child (and the others) is the most important thing to worry about, and I definitely think it's worth notifying someone if you don't think the daycare can take proper care of them.

I am totally non-confrontational, so I understand worrying about the possibility of them finding out and being upset, but at the same time, that's YOUR kid, you know? You, as a mother, have every right to do whatever you feel necessary to ensure your child is cared for, regardless of what anyone might think. Go get 'em, Mama!
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you seen 10 babies there? I ask because I've worked in preschool for years and often we had 2 part time kids filling one spot. Our roster would look full, but actual number of kids in attendance depended on the day of the week. If your comfortable with it, mention it to a teacher or the director. If you file a complaint with dhs, you could let them know you'd like to remain anonymous. If it's a licensed facility, they should be used to random visits from dhs. However, if you complain to an employee then dhs shows up because of a complaint the next day, they will put two and two together lol.
  • You could call the agency in charge just to ask about confidentiality before you decide to report.  Ask if there are any situations in which confidentiality may need to be broken.  Then you can make a decision based on that.  I am sure it is different for each state, so it doesn't hurt to check into it first for your specific area.  Good luck!
  • Yes I counted 10 babies the other day while there on lunch. They are planning on transitioning 2 to the next class up so unless they bring in 2 new babies I don't have a valid complaint. I'll just have to wait and see what happens with it. 

Thanks ladies!
  • We have a 4/1 ration here in Washington too. DH and I have been worried that they are breaking that rule. Thankfully they also have a 7 baby max rule and we've never seen them break it more than 5/1, but still you expect them to follow the rules for the benefit and wellbeing of your child. We are still not really sure if it's a real problem or not because I've seen where as I'm leaving a helper comes to help the main ladies and then they are good in the ratio. So I keep wondering if it's just an early morning and pickup time problem. We are going to start documenting the occurrences in case we do have to make a complaint. If suggest the same in your case. Document what you are seeing.
  • Drop off time was always the hardest to maintain ratio. We'd go from 5 kids to 10 in a matter of minutes, and it gets even harder if you have a teacher running late. Also our licensing requirements allowed us to be temporarily out of ratio, for things like teacher bathroom breaks, getting supplies, or taking care of an injured child, but my preschool experience is mainly with kids 12 months and older.

Documenting is good, and voicing your concerns to the staff couldn't hurt. 
  • If you have a funny feeling about the place you take your kid(s) by all means file a complaint.  Just 1 day care accident where a child is put at
    risk or harmed is too many.  If there is no risk at all and it's just a concerned parent it's still worth it in my opinion!