January 2016 Moms
Options

How many naps a day?

I return to work in a month and I realize I need to get my twins (9 weeks old, but were 4 weeks premature) on a stricter schedule. I have basically been letting them nap whenever they fall asleep in chairs/swings/podsters/on me. Do you all put your babies down for scheduled naps throughout the day? How long do they last?  How many a day?

I have done some online reading but wanted to get an idea of what is realistic/ what you ladies have going on as well. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How many naps a day?

• Options
    I never started a schedule for napping until they were around 4ish months and I did it based on when they would normally fall asleep. DS1 was 11, 2, and 5 with 1ish hour naps and DS2 was 12 and 4:30 with 2ish hour naps. Right now DD is just 6 weeks and sleeps what seems like all the time.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    My son is 9 weeks. I'm not following a strict nap schedule by any means yet. I try to start that around 3-4 months. I do try to get him to nap between each daytime feeding, except the time before our last feeding of the night. So it goes like this most days... After morning feeding, he usually naps 1-1.5 hours, wakes and eats. I consider that a longer nap. After the next feeding he'll take a shorter nap (30-45 minutes), the nap after that is usually longer than any other nap (1.5-2.5 hours), and the final one of the day can be anywhere between 30 minutes- 1 hour long. Then I try to keep him awake until the last feeding before bed, but sometimes he'll take a short catnap (20-30 minutes). So there's the a pattern I notice... Long nap, short nap, long, short, short (if at all). With my daughter I looked up wake times for her age and it really helped me learn when I should put her down for a nap before she got too tired and wouldn't sleep at all. Right now I think their wake time is about 45 minutes-1 hour. Hope that helps!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO is 6 weeks and sleeps 10-12, 1-3, and one hour sometime between 4-6.  I just followed his cues and these are the times he's typically sleepy. He's still eating every 3 hours throughout the day and night. I let him sleep as much as he wants during the day but no longer than 2 hours at a time. He's usually ready to get up by 2 hours anyway. The last nap of the day is terrible. It takes forever to get him to sleep and then he wakes up when DH gets home. Also, I only count sleep between 9am and 6pm as "naps" with everything else counting as nighttime sleep. 
  • Options
    My guy doesn't know the word nap lol. He falls asleep while eating for about 30 minutes then is awake until his next feeding. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    I follow his sleep ques but make sure he is never awake for more than 2 hours at 7weeks. Sometimes he takes more coaxing than others to fall asleep but I remain persistent till he passes out. Don't plan on doing a set schedule for a couple more months. Just a consistent routine for now. 
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    My LO is 5 weeks and all we're working on is "eat play sleep" order. Naps seem to be frequent and we let them happen at baby's will. My plan is to start looking at more structured routines for both naps and bedtimes after 12 weeks.
  • Options
    My LO has no schedule yet. (Other than she generally goes to sleep between 10 and 12 and wakes up between 4 and 6). I don't think putting her down for a scheduled nap would do much good yet. I think she would just scream until I picked her up. But every baby is different!
  • Options
    My LO is 10 weeks and no strict schedule yet. He gets up for the day between 6:30-7:30 and down for the "night"between 8-9. He still gets up 2-3 times a night but typically that's his bed time. I find for me it's not about a schedule as is the amount of time he is awake. I read somewhere with my first this awake time thing for babies per age and I found that after an hour I try to put him down to sleep. Following his cues as well. He is also colicky which is on its way out I think so it's been important for him to not get too tired and overstimulated. At this age I would focus on creating a routine for bedtime to signal that to your LO. The rest your baby will take care of on their own.