May 2016 Moms

labor gown/robe

amovin21amovin21 member
edited March 2016 in May 2016 Moms

I tried searching to see if there was already a post on this and didn't see any, if I miss it I'm sorry to duplicate.

DH, my mom, and I did the hospital tour this past Saturday and it was quite impressive - way better than expected. They encouraged Moms to bring in their own labor gown(s) if they want, but of course they have an endless supply of them on hand. I'd heard and seen labor gowns on Etsy, Pinterest, etc, but hadn't given much thought to purchasing one or two until it was brought up in the tour...that and my mother offered to purchase a few for me if I wanted.

Are any of you planning to do this or have done this with previous births? If so where did you purchase them? Did you feel more comfortable in something of your own vs theirs?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: labor gown/robe

• JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited March 2016
    I won't be buying one because I'm having a repeat c-s.  I don't so much mind the ugly hospital gown, I just get tired of the lack of underpants.  But that's not gonna change.
    I can see why people like to wear their own thing to preserve some autonomy or personal control over the situation.  If that is not you, it might just be a waste of money. Especially if you throw things away if they get a drop of blood on them.

This reminded me of being in triage a few weeks ago. I had the hospital gown on, and a doctor I knew from last time saw me.  I showed her some pictures of the twins, and she said how nice we looked.  All I could think was, "I don't wear a hospital gown in the real world, and I definitely wear undies and a bra."  (well not always the bra).  haha

eta: I'd rather shop for baby clothes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Loading the player...
  • I hadn't even thought about this, but I assume I will just use the gown provided by the hospital. My hospital offers jetted tubs, so I will probably just be in there for the majority of the time anyway.
  • I'm planning on just using whatever I'm given. If I brought anything of my own I'm sure it would just get destroyed and I would probably just want to toss it before coming home anyway.
  • I actually just received mine in the mail. It came with a matching pillow case. Maybe it is unnecessary but it's my first child so I ordered it from Amazon. I will most likely throw it away but it's personalized for me. 
    Insaw some on etsy that were cute but ultimately went with Amazon. It's your decision. Good luck! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sarawifenow Wow! Jetted tubs! I would love that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Dasha420 I can't wait for the jetted tubs! I was way too excited when I learned that they were available.
  • I have one but more so to use after the baby is born and during recovery at the hospital. I wouldn't want to use it during labor and delivery because it would definitely get destroyed. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @TXmamatobe yes! I think that's what I will do! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Dasha420 I can't wait for the jetted tubs! I was way too excited when I learned that they were available.
    You are lucky! Enjoy (well, as much as you can enjoy labor :p)
  • I didn't have anything special last time and looking back, I wish I had at least had a robe to cover up and stay warm.   So I will be looking for one very soon.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I won't be buying anything, but thanks for posting - reminds me that I have a cheap little silk robe that I bought for a fitness competition a couple years back that now has spray tan stains all over it and I probably won't use for anything else ever! Great way to put one last use to crappy robes I don't need anymore!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJOFME0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
  • I got this from Etsy. It's more for early labour and post labour than anything else. Easy for breastfeeding etc. I got black just in case gets blood etc on it.

Am currently scouting out Etsy and saw this exact one and marked it as a fav to go back to

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jenl1681jenl1681 member
    edited March 2016
    I will be using the hospital gown, I have a black bralette to wear underneath and that serves as my top for when I get into the birthing tub. With my other two I wore socks and managed to stick my feet in the afterbirth slop. While the nurse was putting on my mesh panties she took my socks off and gave me a warm and fuzzy hospital pair and tossed those in the trash because they were so gross. Also, with both babies they were immediately placed on my chest, blood, slime and everything else. It's cool in the moment, but not something I want to bag up and launder 2 days later. 

ETA: Words are hard on Monday
  • @amovin21 I should get it Wednesday so I'll let you know how it is! It was really fast though...only took about 2 weeks
  • I used the hospital gowns my entire stay!

It was awesome because post-delivery if I got a stain on it (and you will) I just threw it in the bin and put on a clean one. 

I didn't put on my own clothes (used the mesh underwear which is great and was bra-less) until we left. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I really like the idea of bringing a special gown/robe of my own but I've decided against it. I'd just rather spend that money on nursing bras/tanks or baby stuff and it feels like just another thing to worry about. That said, if my mom offered to get one for me like yours did I would definitely take her up on it!
  • I wore the gown provided for actual labor and labor is messy, I don't want extra laundry.  They helped me change about 45 minutes-1 hour after DS was born when the nurse took me to get cleaned up. Once we got to our room and I showered I put on a nursing nightgown that I'm still obsessed with and the mesh underwear. I just bought 2 more of the nursing gowns, they fit really well now and I lived in
    mine for the first few weeks at home. 

• I didn't put on my own clothes (used the mesh underwear which is great and was bra-less) until we left. 
    Lol I didn't either!! It hurt too much to move let alone change clothes. I was comfortable in the gown.
  • @Bltbear82 where did you get your fave nursing nightgown? link?
  • @LadySamLady it's a brand called Belabumbum, they're doing 15% off now!

https://www.belabumbum.com

I have two different kinds but I prefer the Lotus style. I only have one of the Lotus and found it really comfy and easy to nurse in, but could still lounge around in without feeling half naked. 
  • I think I'm going to wear the hospital gown for l&d and immediately post-delivery, and just bring an old black cardigan in case it gets cold, so I don't have to worry about it being too long and getting ruined or something. For the rest of the time, I'm looking into comfortable nursing nightgowns/pajamas. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• kami09 said:

I didn't put on my own clothes (used the mesh underwear which is great and was bra-less) until we left. 
    Lol I didn't either!! It hurt too much to move let alone change clothes. I was comfortable in the gown.
    I can't even remember what I wore :s.  It was just he hospital gown during labor, after that things are a little fuzzy... I think I might have had a plain black robe that I wore over either the hospital gown or a nursing tank and fleece pants?
  • My hospital also tries to sell them. Honestly seems like a waste of money to me.
  • My mom got me a zip up gown that I think it will come in handy during recovery both at home and in the hospital. It's not at all cute. Actually it's a bit matronly and grandma-ish but it's warm, fuzzy, and will provide easy access for BFing so I'm happy to have it. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • DH got me a postpartum robe for Valentine's Day from Etsy. I wore the hospital gown with DD1. After birth at my hospital you can wear whatever you want (or not...last time there was a woman who refused to wear clothes at all during her stay...to each his own I guess...). My robe is gorgeous. This is it:

This is not me... Just my robe on someone else haha.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I wore the hospital gown during labor, and wore a short robe with yoga pants/ short robe with a maxi skirt for most of the hospital stay.
  • LeahderouenLeahderouen member
    edited March 2016
    @ayeshaoharaDid you add a liner to robe? This is the one I picked out also but can't decide if I want to add liner or not! 

• Birth is extremely messy so I wouldn't want to actually pay for something just to see it ruined.  I bought this for afterward though.  I plan on getting the hat or gown monogrammed with lo's name.  I have a dark gray thin robe that matches perfectly so at least I'll look good for visitors!
  • @ayeshaoharaDid you add a liner to robe? This is the one I picked out also but can't decide if I want to add liner or not! 
    No I didn't. I wanted something light and easy. Plus it's black so I didn't think the liner was necessary. If you get a light colour it might be worth it as the cotton might be see through
  • I got this from Etsy. It's more for early labour and post labour than anything else. Easy for breastfeeding etc. I got black just in case gets blood etc on it.

I love that your purchasing decision came with an "if it gets blood on it" proviso.

Also, hella cute.

The nurse who teaches our prenatal class strongly recommended that we bring our own clothes (labor robe, pre-labor hangout gear, etc) to the hospital with us so we felt cozy and relaxed and at home.  And then she said we'd probably end up throwing them away afterwards. So I am not getting a special labor gown/robe. And it's equal parts because I'm cheap and because I'm a contrarian who seriously dislikes this particular nurse...
  • dshannah said:
    I got this from Etsy. It's more for early labour and post labour than anything else. Easy for breastfeeding etc. I got black just in case gets blood etc on it.

I love that your purchasing decision came with an "if it gets blood on it" proviso.

Also, hella cute.

The nurse who teaches our prenatal class strongly recommended that we bring our own clothes (labor robe, pre-labor hangout gear, etc) to the hospital with us so we felt cozy and relaxed and at home.  And then she said we'd probably end up throwing them away afterwards. So I am not getting a special labor gown/robe. And it's equal parts because I'm cheap and because I'm a contrarian who seriously dislikes this particular nurse...
    Very important proviso I thought. I don't like that things need to be thrown away. Blood comes out of clothes just fine if you tend to it fairly quickly and wash in cold water. Seems wasteful to just throw things away. I'm sticking to as much black as possible anyhow just in case. I've been in hospital enough times to know I hate hospital gowns and I always feel much more relaxed and refreshed in my own stuff, so that's another reason. It's nice to spoil yourself every now and then :) 
  • I'm planning to bring a slightly old robe that's comfortable and in decently presentable shape but not so new/comfy that I'll cry if it gets ruined. Not planning to buy something new, as much because I can't find anything I really love as much as any other reason.
  • because I'm having a csection I'm not bringing anything for it with me. I do plan on bringing lots of black yoga pants and nursing tank tops for afterwards though as I'll be in the hospital for 3 days or so.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • It was 2 days at least after my c section before I could wear anything of my own (or even take a shower) as I was still hooked up to the IV and catheter. It WAS really nice to have something comfy of my own to change into on day 3. I bought a maternity/nursing nightgown and robe set on clearance from Motherhood Maternity. It was dark red so I figured it wouldn't get too stained. I think the next day I wore the BIGGEST loosest pair of yoga pants (they were more floating about my person than being worn), a Target nursing tank, and loose hoodie to go home in. Also slip on shoes! 
    As for bringing your own gown to labor in? I wouldn't. You would most likely throw it away when you were done. 
  • @amovin21 I bought a new robe today because of this discussion so thank you very much!!! (:  
  • @swflJD where is that robe from?