Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Engagement ring should be--strength or shine?

Do women generally care more about the quality or appearance of the ring? From everything i've heard, platinum sounds like the better quality metal in terms of strength and purity, but I've also heard that white gold stays shinier and costs less. In terms of everyday wear, which of these metals is actually the better choice for an engagement ring in your opinion?

Re: Engagement ring should be--strength or shine?

• I don't really know what is better but my ring is white and rose gold.  It's very beautiful and unique!  I love it. I've had it 3 years now and it looks as good as it did the day my husband gave it to me. I think what you have heard is accurate.  For me I didn't think it was worth the extra money. 
  • Platinum is way better quality wise. Always go with quality over appearance but for the right amount of money you can have the best of both.
  • Loading the player...
  • Is platinum rate is so high?
  • Is platinum rate is so high?
    What? I don't understand this question. Platinum is stronger and more durable.
  • Platinum! I like the natural patina "look" rather than the "shine" of gold. Platinum is a pure metal and depending on who you ask better quality and more expensive. However, you can always get a gorgeous ring in gold/white gold. Splurge on the actual diamond! (if you can)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Some jewelry stores have temporary settings that is just a plain band. You buy the diamond and then after the proposal, you can take her back in to pick out a setting. That is what my friend's DH did for her. Mine had me pick out several settings that I liked online so he knew what to look for when he went ring shopping. 

For everyday wear I don't think it matters as much which metal you pick unless her ring is going to take a lot of abuse and if that's the case you should get her Platinum. Take a look at the other jewelry she wears. Does her usual stuff have a lot of sparkle and shine? If so the white gold might be a better choice. Just don't get a cheap setting like the ones at Walmart. Expect to pay a few hundred for a good setting. 
  • I like the natural patina "look" rather than the "shine" of gold. Platinum is a pure metal and depending on who you ask better quality and more expensive.
  •  White gold IS a high quality metal and very durable. I would definitely go with white gold over and over again. It's pretty and it lasts... You can have both.