June 2015 Moms

Feeding LO Feb/March

Because I'm a bit ocd I'm starting a new thread. 

Re: Feeding LO Feb/March

• My question is do you think it will mess LOs feeding up if she uses size 2 nipples at daycare (their request) but only size 1 at home? I only have two size 2 nipples & I don't want to buy anymore. She's at daycare 2-3 days a week & home with her grandpa the other weekdays.
  • I wouldn't think so might just eat slower with the ones, we interchanged them with our LO. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think after so many uses the ones actually start flowing a bit faster anyway.  If she's used to them I bet she will be fine.  
  • I was just concerned she'd get used to the easier flow & get mad when the slower flow nipples are used. Wasn't sure if going back & forth would confuse her.  She'll probably be fine.
  • So I was wondering how everyone was going about weaning. We successfully cut out one of LO boob feedings down to three but part of me wonders how to know if LO is getting enough food. Is there a general number of oz in a day that is exceptable? 
  • Are you wean off of milk and formula totally? Or do you mean you are transitioning from breast milk to formula?

Our pedi says at 9 months three solids a day is fine, as long as they have at least 18 ounces of breast milk or formula. Our LO still sucks down 32 ounces a day though!
  • Slowly wean off milk so by a year. I mean it is right around the corner now I am down to three times I will probably stay at it for around LO 10 months then try to go down to two. Was just wondering if anyone else had started to try this? I am a FTM and was wondering. 
  • mjschenk said:
    Slowly wean off milk so by a year. I mean it is right around the corner now I am down to three times I will probably stay at it for around LO 10 months then try to go down to two. Was just wondering if anyone else had started to try this? I am a FTM and was wondering. 
    In my opinion, it's way too early to start cutting out feedings at this point. If you start dropping feedings, you'll make even less milk, and could lose your supply. Baby already tends to take in less milk because of eating solids. I would wait until about 11 months to start any kind of weaning. I breastfed my ds until 13 months. I started weaning at 12 months and had no problem with too much supply. You generally drop a feeding per week. Hope that helps. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @mjschenk Have you talked to your pediatrician about this? They can give you some guidance on how to transition from milk/formula to real food. Ours wants us regularly feeding 3 meals a day by our 9 month appointment, but still breastfeeding regularly too.
  • I agree seems early. My pedi is ok with just BM til 1 do definitely no rush.  We do a small breakfast and big dinner. Will go to 3 meals probably right at 12 months and then slowly add in snacks
  • Formula momma's, is your baby still doing middle of the night feedings? Mine still wakes up at least once a night to feed. I've tried cutting it out, but he will seriously cry until I cave. I really don't mind giving him the bottle because it sooths him and he just goes back to sleep after.

Just wondering if anyone is still going through this. Baby is almost 9 months!

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• @beemaya83 We had that problem for a while but adjusted feedings so we give her evening feeding around 6:00 and are doing some solids at about 8 right before bed. She sleeps very well until around 6:30 in the morning in that case. Before solids, we did something similar with a smaller bottle.
  • How is your LO doing with finger foods?
    we started purées a few months ago and he loves it. But as soon as we add any chunks, he gags. Do they just learn to deal with the chunks or is there something I can do to help him eat them?

• We have only done a MOTN feeding twice since 4-5 months. My LO cluster feeds after 5pm and she stays full all night. 
  • I plan on nursing until my baby doesn't want to anymore but before 2. He is down to 3 sessions during the day with 3 meals during the day and then clusters at night and still nurses in the middle of the night. 
  • I plan on nursing until my baby doesn't want to anymore but before 2. He is down to 3 sessions during the day with 3 meals during the day and then clusters at night and still nurses in the middle of the night. 
    I don't think I really have a plan other than to "see how it goes" - but if I did, it would probably be this.
  • cheriep3 said:
    How is your LO doing with finger foods?
    we started purées a few months ago and he loves it. But as soon as we add any chunks, he gags. Do they just learn to deal with the chunks or is there something I can do to help him eat them?

My kid did that for a few weeks, and then slowly adjusted and became a champ at eating real food. It was hard to tell what he liked or didn't - except he would want more even after gagging, so it seemed like he liked it. 
  • I think I'm going to have to break down and buy formula. I just can't keep up with pumping during the work day. Should I start by mixing formula with breast milk? Like half and half for a while?
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • LO was eating almost no solids/purees until a week ago and now all of a sudden she is all over food.  Purees, eating from her mesh feeder, puffs, actual solids like scrambled eggs...all over it.  I was getting nervous.  Guess there was no reason for that!  
  • @KonaCoffeeBean you can definitely mix half and half. 

What worked for us was transitioning to 1 full formula bottle at a time. And offering the formula bottle at a time I knew she was hungry (we told daycare to give her the formula bottle as the 1st one of the day). We did have to try 2 different formulas though before we found one she liked.

But in reality the transition was super easy/smooth. We did have to go out and buy a bottle warmer, which we never had to do with BM. But I found one on sale for $15 at target.
  • @fridaysdance We have the same issue with LO when we feed solids. He has a hard time swallowing thicker purees. I've tried giving him the puffs and the husks, that are made of rice. They supposed to melt in his mouth easy. HOWEVER, he takes huge bites and is almost choking, so I stop giving him those until I feel he is ready. I must say that it is partly my fault, that I stop giving him the thicker purees as soon as he gags. Everyone tells me he will get the hang of it.

I too feed him solids/baby cereal 1 hour to 30 minutes before bedtime, but he still wakes up MOTNF. Since is only 1 feeding, I think I can live with it.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

@jessieR358
    Do you remember how old your lo was when he went down to three feeds a day? 
    @jessieR358
    Do you remember how old your lo was when he went down to three feeds a day? 
    Yes, it was just a couple weeks ago at 7 months. I should say that he still likes to nurse to fall asleep for naps and bedtime but that's more a habit than nutrition 
  • At 9 months LO still eats 6 bottles a day of 3-5 oz (I always offer her 5) and 1-2 "meals" of solids. Still refuses purrees and drools/spits them out but eats everything else. 

We are finding it challenging time wise and food wise to prepare meals for her, especially because my schedule is all over the place. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Yeah we never eat together unless it's a freak night and dh is home early (he travels randomly) ...... I think that's why I haven't done a lot of finger stuff...... Also the stickiness
  • ^^ Seriously, it's a good thing LO goes straight from "dinner" to bath. And I'm already so over the chunks that get thrown all over the floor, and he's only been eating finger foods for all of a week :)

I don't know how we're ever going to actually eat meals together. I have two hours with LO when I get home from work, and that's consumed by his bedtime routine... I don't even get started on making dinner for DH and I until LO is down.

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• 16-24 oz a day (3-4 bottles at 6 oz each)....Solids i try to do breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Just started beef and chicken purees....she's not a fan LOL.
  • I think I'm going to have to break down and buy formula. I just can't keep up with pumping during the work day. Should I start by mixing formula with breast milk? Like half and half for a while?

Give yourself plenty of time for the taper is my advice...we tried halfsies and he refused it, I tossed quite a bit of BM that way. He accepted 5oz bottle (4oz BM, 1 oz formula) and now we are to 3oz BM, 2oz formula. Maybe I have an extra particular kid but I just didn't think transitioning would be this hard. I'm SO OVER pumping at work!!
  • My girls have been protesting bottles lately. Yesterday at daycare (8hrs) they were only able to get 4oz in. Otherwise they completely turn their heads. They're super happy and don't seem starving (obviously getting solids too). Pedi wants 20oz a day and that's a hugeeee struggle. Any suggestions or any else going through this?
  • @beckyk9190 my LO has been drinking less while I'm away too. However I found out she has an ear infection so could be related to that. I don't keep track too well but I feel like the amount she is eating while im
    at work has dropped over the last few weeks even before the ear infection. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now especially if it keeps up after her ear infection is gone.

Also to all the pumping moms: Aren't you just over it?! I know I am but I'm going to carry on. I'm wanting to nurse for a year and then follow LO's lead. I'm not really sure how all that will work but like everything else I'm just going to inform myself as best I can & then wing it!
  • Yes, I hate pumping! I'm still pumping 3 times at work between 8:30 and 7. I have no idea how to start to reduce that in the next couple of months. He's dropped his mid morning feed at home which I can handle but if I'm at work I get full and very uncomfortable if I go past 4 hours without pumping.  
  • I'm in the pumping hating club too.  I try to pump at least 2x a day at work, sometimes 3.  LO is down to 3, 4 oz bottles while he is with my sister during the days (monday-thursday) and then he nurses now exclusively when he's with me, usually 5-6 times a day.  I have definitely seen a decrease in the amount of milk he is taking in now that he's on solids 3x a day.  I plan on giving him breastmilk till a year as well and then will start to wean.  I am counting down the days till I no longer have to pump at work and the middle of the night!
  • Yes, so over pumping. It's like going to the dentist 5 times a day... I just try to mentally check out, go to my happy place and forget that I'm being milked.
    At the moment LO is going through a phase where he's lost interest in solids, which is freaking me out... he's almost 9.5 months, time to be eating more solids, not less!  I'm don't even care if we keep a morning and night nurse, but at one year would at least like days to be solids.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• I'm over pumping too but I love nursing so it's a struggle.  I want to cut a pump session in about a month and start running through my freezer stash but I know when I do I'll have to bottle feed some on weekends because I will stop making as much product.  And nursing us just so much easier than bottle feeding.  Ugh.

She has been better with solids lately but really hasn't cut down on milk at all.  Sometimes she'll go 2.5 or 3 hours during the day between nursing but not too often.  She just loves milk I guess.  Once she has some top teeth and can feed herself actual food I think things will improve...she kind of hates being spoon fed but loves feeding herself puffs.

My doctor said at the 6 month appointment not to worry about water yet because breastmilk has so much water in it.  So we haven't even tried a soppy cup yet.  I'm sure that will be fun.  I assume we'll get the go ahead at 9 months.
  • Since we're only protected to pump for a year by law, will I be able to keep my supply up if I can only pump once in an 11 hour day? I have no intention in weaning at a year. 
  • I think it depends on how much you make. ep here and started dropping sessions to use my freezer stash.   I pump twice a  day now and get approximately 10 each time. For those wondering about dropping a pump the process works better if you do it slowly, for me what has worked better was  doing it a week or 2 at a time. Then dropping another session. 
  • @jessieR358 I think you'll keep the supply for what she nurses at night and what you can pump but you'd lose the other. You could always try to pump during your commute but as long as she's nursing you'd keep something. If they want more they would start nursing more when you are home... Again based on what I've read and been told. If you don't nurse at all at night though it could maybe be an issue?

PS I think that's awesome you're going to keep going. 
  • EP as she refuses to breastfeed now. We were doing one BF session a day but now she won't take that. I hate my pump. I hate pumping. But it's a way of life now. Going to try and get to a year only because she still takes her milk scalding hot so I can't see an easy transition to anything else. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Thanks for the advice! He's still nursing at night. My commute to work is 10 minutes most days so no time to pump. I try to nurse him right before I leave on those days. This past week he has really been more interested in solid food though. Makes me sad actually bc I really enjoy nursing :( I may have to increase pumping after a year at home to keep up. I still get around 7-10 ounces each session. 

On a side note, he learned to sign milk a couple days ago! He just turned 8 months and It is so fun (and helpful) to have some communication!