New York Babies

Help! Birthing Locations: St Luke's Roosevelt aka Mt Sinai West or Mt Sinai Beth Israel

Hi Moms and Moms-To-Be!

I am newly pregnant and have narrowed down my birthing locations to either St Luke's Roosevelt aka Mt Sinai West or Mt Sinai Beth Israel.
I still have not chosen my midwife yet, which would be at either at St Luke's in Morningside Heights or Beth Israel at Union Square for the prenatal visits, so I thought I would reach out to all of the knowledgeable NYC moms and moms-to-be for your input and experiences with either of these locations.
The facilities at St Luke's Roosevelt look a bit newer and I love that they have a private jetted tub in each room for the labor (not delivery) but the birthing center for me is unfortunately out because all of the midwives are out of my insurance network; this location is also closer to me (I live in Harlem). Beth Israel was very welcoming and it seems they have a very strong midwife culture there.

Any thoughts or input that you have would be amazing and thank you in advance for your help!

Re: Help! Birthing Locations: St Luke's Roosevelt aka Mt Sinai West or Mt Sinai Beth Israel

• I delivered at Columbia uptown. I had an amazing experience and a beautiful room. I felt comfortable and safe. Not sure if that's in your insurance. 
  • The jacuzzi tubs at St. Luke's are only in the birthing center, not regular labor & delivery. 
    I will be delivering there in May, so can't say that I've experienced delivery there personally, but have had several momma friends deliver there, both in the birthing center and regular L&D, and have had experiences ranging from good to great. One friend specifically said that she couldn't deliver in the birthing center due to being 2 weeks late so had to go to L&D, but was still able to have the natural labor experience that she wanted to have. 
  • Loading the player...
  • kimey1kimey1 member
    edited March 2016
    PP are right about the jaccuzi only being in the birthing center, which is actually only 3 L&D rooms that are also used for postpartum. Moms return home around 18hrs after giving birth.

I'd say check with your insurance for coverage. If you do decide to deliver at Mt. Sinai St. Luke's (you can see a doc there or at Roosevelt to do this) they will charge you minimum $500 maximum $1500 per night out-of-pocket (not covered by insurance) for the private rooms. The high end rooms provide more things like gourmet meals cooked by a chef.
    If there are none available you'll be put in a shared room until a private room becomes available. The bad thing about shared rooms there is that spouses/significant others cannot stay the night.

If you take a tour they'll show you everything and give you a price breakdown on the rooms & services. I preferee St.Lukes's than the 99th street location on the east side (we did both tours). I don't know anything about Beth Israel but I liked the nurses and staff at Mt. Sinai.
    I chose to deliver in Jersey where private rooms are a given, not an extra charge.
  • kimey1 said:
     The bad thing about shared rooms there is that spouses/significant others cannot stay the night.
    I have not heard of this being an issue at St. Luke's. Maybe they have to tell people when they ask or take the tour that they can't stay the night, but then let them anyways..? 
  • @pelicanesque Maybe. If that's the case it's really annoying. That's what we were told at the tour last month. 
  • I believe it's a NYC law that visitors in general are not allowed to stay the night - this is throughout the city and all hospitals. I was told this prior to my delivery and this was confirmed at my baby shower by my 2 nurse and 2 Doctor friends. Your spouse can stay if you are in a private room. I gave birth at mt. Sinai west in Jan and loved all the nurses and Doctor who delivered my baby (my OB was not there!). The delivery room was big and comfortable and we felt very taken care of. The two nights in the shared room were misery for me. I was so uncomfortable sharing a room and I did not like the nurses. I also felt neglected, but it may have felt that way because my roommate was recovering from c section so they checked on her very frequently and me only once or twice. I will be saving my pennies to get a private room for the next baby!!!! 
  • I am delivering at the Birth Center at Roosevelt. As the other ladies mentioned, you can get a tour to check it out and ask questions, and the L&D rooms do not have the nice tub, unfortunately. The private recovery room up there is $900/night and they are first come first served (or first baby delivered first served). Your partner can stay/sleep with you in both the private recovery rooms in L&D (there is a pull out couch/chair) and in the Birth Center (full-sized bed fits two). The shared recovery rooms in L&D are quite crammed and small and there is no place for partners to sleep. I do not know about Beth Israel. Best of luck with your decision!
    Pregnancy Ticker