April 2016 Moms

Thank You Gift for Nurses??

I was reading on a blog that we should take down our nurses names to send them a thank you gift after our LO is born. On an expecting FB page there was a soon to be mom who just posted that she made these adorable water bottles for the nurses when she delivers. I wanted to know if any of you have given the nurses a thank you gift before or plan on doing so? 

Y

Re: Thank You Gift for Nurses??

• I never thought about that but it sounds like a great ideal. I had plans on sending my doctor a thank you gift.

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• St0v3s said:
    I never thought about that but it sounds like a great ideal. I had plans on sending my doctor a thank you gift.
    My sisters are both nurses so I just asked them too, and they said that they prefer sweets like cookies or cupcakes. And even said bagels are always nice too, I put them in charge of reminding me when at the hospital LOL 
  • Loading the player...
  • We took a couple packages of chocolates in with a thank you card. I think it's better to bring in your goodies while you're there. Perhaps bake during early labor?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We brought donuts and bagels for the nurses. DH said they all dived right in, so I guess they liked it. We'll do the same this time

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We made a b inch of cookies and brought them in for the nurses when we checked in to have DD.  They were super thankful for the treat.
  • I don't think I'll be getting so personalized as to make a custom thank you for anybody, but do plan on driving by and getting a box of cupcakes for me to eat half of on the way... I mean, um... To give to the nurses. 
    I'm definitely not going so far as to custom make anything and i'm not that crafty, but thought maybe the more crafty moms might like it. I'm more of a sweets and food person myself, except right now during this pregnancy. I can't figure out if I'm happy or sad about not wanting sweets. 
  • We will more than likely do either cupcakes, bagels or a cake.

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Last time I was in hospital, I gave the midwives a box of chocolates. I'll do the same again but also include other treats. I would like to give my doctor something but she's sworn off sugar. I can't quite figure out a doctor appropriate option...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't really get why you should have to give them gifts for doing their job. Does everyone do this? That's a lot of chocolate.
    I sort of feel the same way lol. Perhaps because I've never heard of it before. 

• FTM so I don't have particular experience with this but in my family if someone is in the hospital for a time we usually bring treats for the nurses. Yea, they are doing thier jobs but it honestly seemed to make a difference in thier day. I'd rather go to extra effort and try to please some one who has the potential to kill me or at the very least make my time in the hospital miserable. We would usually get a basket with a Thank You note on it and fill it will candy or snacks. Easy enough. 
  • I don't really get why you should have to give them gifts for doing their job. Does everyone do this? That's a lot of chocolate.
    It's definitely not necessary, just a nice gesture. During my last hospital stay, the midwives were kind and pleasant. I just wanted to show them  my appreciation. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    You certainly don't have to. It's just a nice gesture and it's not much, really. You will only have a few nurses as it is, but they are the serious unsung heroes of L&D and recovery. They often go above and beyond, and I just bring something for them to snack on and have them leave them in the break room with a note. 

I haven't really heard of this either. I agree its a nice gesture, but I'm not planning on doing anything.
    I made it through two shift changes and had some really rough moments during labor. Having nurses help keep me calm while DH was flying in, advocating for me when I was in tons of pain, making me take a break from pushing so I would have longer before being forced into a c section and telling me that I could do this (not just DH) made a huge difference to me. Yes they're just doing their jobs and it's not necessary, but it's still a nice gesture when you feel someone has gone above and beyond what you would normally expect.

Pregnancy Ticker
    My family is all in healthcare and my mom and a sister have worked l&d, so I plan to. Otherwise, I wouldn't know that people did this either. It's certainly not expected. 
  • redselig said:
    Last time I was in hospital, I gave the midwives a box of chocolates. I'll do the same again but also include other treats. I would like to give my doctor something but she's sworn off sugar. I can't quite figure out a doctor appropriate option…
    We cannot accept anything pricey; only symbolic gifts. If she has sworn off sugar, you could give her a bottle of wine, or something like a gift card for a massage. :)
  • I've seen this floating around on Pinterest as an idea, baking cookies, bring packs of candy, etc etc. I am contemplating doing it this time around and having a little basket of goodies for my nurses. I had so many nurses the first time around, since I was in there on the L&D floor for 5 days, I would have run out of stuff. I did bring plates of homemade Christmas cookies and candy I had made for the NICU nurses a few of the days when DD was in there.

Part of me wonders, what are their opinions on homemade stuff? I know in the teacher realm we're really leary of stuff our students make for us, because who knows what they may have done in the baking process. Some prepackaged, while less "personal", may be a safer bet. I may have a basket of snack sized candy, like M&Ms or something...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @thaisac1 Great suggestions -  how could I forget wine! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • loveymay said:
    I don't really get why you should have to give them gifts for doing their job. Does everyone do this? That's a lot of chocolate.

I haven't really heard of this either. I agree its a nice gesture, but I'm not planning on doing anything.
    I am a STM and I am not doing this time. My last experience with the nurses was horrible and I will be delivering at the same hospital. I am huge on thank you gifts but in my experience, the over worked nurses treat the patients like a number and I am not going out of my way unless of course I have a different experience this time. In which case, DH will pick up some treats on the way in one day. I do get thank you gifts for my doctor and he nurses at his office. 
  • Lurker**

I brought a basket filled with granola bars, chocolates, Starbucks Via drink mixes and a few other snacks and just had my mom bring it to the nurses station after I had delivered.  The nurses LOVED it.  I did keep it in my room until after delivery in case I had a bad experience but since everyone was amazing I gave it to them.
  • Eh, I personally wouldn't send something after the fact, but maybe bring a little something with you, like a basket of treats, for them to have while you're there?
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Yeah maybe I just don't understand because the only nurses I have been around have seemed really rude. I hope these birth nurses really are as nice as you guys are saying.
  • We brought store bought treats with us for the staff on the floor when I went in to be induced. I wrote an email to the department head afterward thanking specific nurses that went above and beyond for me during the 5 days I was there. 
  • Wow.....I never even thought of that.  But now that I have, I will plan to have my husband bring in some sweets or goodies after the baby is born as a thank you!
  • Yeah maybe I just don't understand because the only nurses I have been around have seemed really rude. I hope these birth nurses really are as nice as you guys are saying.
    I've always been told that l&d nurses are some of the best you'll meet. They're with you through all the bad shit, whereas the doctor or midwife just comes to catch the baby and do the occasional check. 
    I've always been told that l&d nurses are some of the best you'll meet. They're with you through all the bad shit, whereas the doctor or midwife just comes to catch the baby and do the occasional check. 
    Yep this. My nurses were awesome, totally treated me like a human being, compassionate, etc etc. But I will say that my OB and midwives who attended me while I was there (on 12 hour shifts, my labor lasted long enough for me to work with one OB and two midwives from my practice, yikes!) were also awesome. My midwives were in my room quite frequently, and my OB who actually delivered DD, while not quite as involved as the midwives and nurses, was still there encouraging me and explaining all that was going on (she may have been more involved due to the fever I spiked at 9cm so there was more urgency to get the baby out). But I really had a great experience with all the healthcare professionals I dealt with them, so maybe I should be considering a goody basket of some sort.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I've always done candy and thank you cards for the L&D nurses. Last time, I also did gift basket kits from World Market (filled with almonds and preserves and wine and all that jazz) for my OB and her partner, both of whom were very patient about my labor stalling out in the middle of the night when the on-call midwife was pushing for a C-section.

I had never thought about going to World Market for gift baskets before but found that you can get some really luxe stuff and easily put it together in a professional-looking way without spending a lot. It was certainly a way better value than the pre-assembled gift baskets I looked into from specialty companies.
    Yeah I actually still don't know what a midwife is.
    Basically a nurse with a master's degree specializing in delivering babies. They aren't trained like an OB so they can't do complicated births. 
    Basically a nurse with a master's degree specializing in delivering babies. They aren't trained like an OB so they can't do complicated births. 
    This. A CNM is basically a NP who has specialized training in pregnancy/delivery/PP care. Depending on state law, they are often able to be used in lieu of an OB, and in many countries, midwifery care is the norm unless there is a serious complication. They are fairly comparable for normal pregnancies, except for the fact that they are not trained in surgery, and therefore cannot perform c-sections. (An OB/GYN is a trained surgeon.)
  • I'm an RN and have worked in the ICU and recovery room, but not L&D. We got lots of treats from family members in the ICU, not so much the recovery room (brief stays). I think it's very thoughtful when people bring in thank you gifts, but definitely going above and beyond and not the norm! The unit in the hospital where I am delivering has separate areas for labor and postpartum, so there are likely different groups of nurses - something to consider. Also, with shift changes, it's very likely that the nurses you love will be gone before you break out the thank you treats. I am not planning on bringing anything in, but if I have a phenomenal experience I may ask my sister to pick up something when she comes to visit me.  I agree with staying away from homemade goodies (as delicious as they are!), most of my coworkers prefer things made in a bakery or from a store (we are germ freaks). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are also traditional midwives, who train by apprenticeship, and certified professional midwives, who go to midwifery school without medical training. Many midwifery schools, here and in Europe, count it against an applicant if s/he has a prior medical background. They're really two different models of care. 
  • mojomama6 said:
    There are also traditional midwives, who train by apprenticeship, and certified professional midwives, who go to midwifery school without medical training. Many midwifery schools, here and in Europe, count it against an applicant if s/he has a prior medical background. They're really two different models of care. 
    True, as a CNM (certified nurse midwife)  program here absolutely would require the applicant to have a medical background, because these midwives are advanced practice registered nurses with prescriptive privileges. The care model is overall more holistic in comparison to OBs, although still rooted in a medical model of care and is required to be reimbursable by insurance.

I am unsure as to coverage differences for traditional midwives/CPMs though. It's interesting how even under that title of 'midwife' that there are so many variations.
  • When we had ds, we brought in some muffins and orange juice from  costco.
  • I plan on packing little treats for the nursing staff. At valentine's, I made little baskets filled with hugs and kisses and brought it to both my doctor's offices, just a little something sweet to say I appreciated all they were doing for us :)
  • Maybe I'm more manipulative than I want to think, but I planned on bringing goodies with me to the hospital to ingratiate myself with the staff and give them a little more motivation to check in on me.  I am also praying they can be my advocates with the doctors and keep me off the Pitocin, so I want to get them in my corner right off the bat....
    Jana Lynn
     Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18
  • Maybe I'm more manipulative than I want to think, but I planned on bringing goodies with me to the hospital to ingratiate myself with the staff and give them a little more motivation to check in on me.  I am also praying they can be my advocates with the doctors and keep me off the Pitocin, so I want to get them in my corner right off the bat....
    Treats are great, but treating nurses like people usually has as much or more effect.