High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

does your MFM doc replace your regular OBGYN?

Hello everyone, so after trying for over a year and having a failed IUI I just found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant, naturally!!   I have a question for others in the high risk category.  Did an MFM doctor replace the general OBGYN? or did both doctors co-manage?

Re: does your MFM doc replace your regular OBGYN?

• Options
    For my pregnancy I only saw my MFM doctor. After my pregnancy I went back to my regular OBGYN for yearly exams. Congrats on the pregnancy! Hope everything goes well!
  • Options
    I see both 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I see both because my MFM group only consults/does not deliver but some MFM's do it all. I found 3 in my area who deliver but they delivered at hospitals I was not interested in so I chose to go with MFM and OB combo. One doc would have been a heck of a lot easier since I see the MFM every other week, but it's all good. 

Since you are only 5wks, do you know why you will need an MFM for the pregnancy?
  • Options
    For my pregnancy I only saw my MFM doctor. After my pregnancy I went back to my regular OBGYN for yearly exams. Congrats on the pregnancy! Hope everything goes well!

so your MFM will be the one to deliver, correct? thanks!
  • Options
    amma31amma31 member
    edited February 2016
    I see both because my MFM group only consults/does not deliver but some MFM's do it all. I found 3 in my area who deliver but they delivered at hospitals I was not interested in so I chose to go with MFM and OB combo. One doc would have been a heck of a lot easier since I see the MFM every other week, but it's all good. 

Since you are only 5wks, do you know why you will need an MFM for the pregnancy?

Thank you for this info very helpful.  I actually have a congenital heart condition, and I had to consult with MFM before trying to get pregnant.  The MFM I met with a few months back only sees pregnant women with heart conditions, that's her specialty.  She said I will likely need close monitoring but I was confused as to whether or not I go back to see her directly or go through my regular obgyn.  I'm new to the pregnancy scene and my first prenatal appt isn't scheduled for another 3 weeks with my gen obgyn.  However I'm actually reallyhoping that the MFM can take over from here because I really liked her and connected with her, she's just so hard to get a hold of!
  • Options
    Yes. My MFM delivered my dd. Actually I should say another doctor in her office did. She wasn't on duty when the baby was born though she did stop by and see me at the beginning of labor and after the baby was born. My MFM is part of a high risk office so there are lots of doctors there and although I see one doctor for my prenatal visits, any doctor in the office can deliver depending on who's in the hospital at the time. I also met with my MFM before becoming pregnant for a consultation. I was referred to her by my OBGYN due to an autoimmune disease. Once I became pregnant I didn't even go to my regular OBGYN. I went straight to my MFM and they took care of me during my first pregnancy and during my current pregnancy.
  • Options
    I see both, plus a midwife. I'm not sure who will deliver, they are at different hospitals that work together. I assume it will depend on how the rest of the pregnancy goes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    My MFM doc does not deliver. I have recently transferred to a midwife and will continue to see both, which is kind of the best of both worlds: high level attention plus a natural birth way of thinking.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I completely understand the hopes for the MFM to take over the entire pregnancy but if she happens to not deliver just check and see if she is authorized to be by your side at your delivery hospital in case she is needed. My MFM's work out of the hospital so if I were to go into PTL like I did with #1, they would send an MFM from my group to be there to assist me in L&D. If I chose a different MFM they would not have authorization to visit me at my delivery hospital. Just something else to remember.

Hope the CHD does well for the entire pregnancy and it is a smooth ride. I have 2 heart conditions so I can sympathize on a a different level. I haven't had any episodes (thankfully) but I do know how it feels to worry about something as severe as your heart during pregnancy. Best of luck and congrats!  ;)
  • Options
    kde4kde4 member
    I saw both. I primarily saw the MFM, but if he was unavailable I would check in with the OB.

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• Options
    I only see my MFM. I think that's just because I am very high risk (20% mortality rate with my condition and pregnancies). And he will also perform my planned c section along with a team of doctors.
    sahm.
    frequent lurker.
    married: 08-09-2013
    baby boy: 06-16-2016 at 34 wks.

• Options
    I wish. But my mfm doesn't deliver sono have to stay with the OB too.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this, I was wondering this too! Glad to know the answer is "sometimes" We're in the middle of changing doctors, and will also likely need a MFM (depending on the outcome of my appointment tomorrow.)

• Options
    The way it was explained to me was it there is a genetic issue you see the mfm for the last leg of the pregnancy. If you have complications or considered "high risk but manageable" then you see both and the mfm tells your ob how to care for you. My mfm doesn't deliver. He does everything else but has no interest in delivering babies.