September 2015 Moms
Options

At this point I'm just frustrated

I made a post about a week ago about my son breaking out in a rash and not knowing what caused the allergic reaction. I stopped giving him solids and planned to reintroduce them one by one once the rash was all clear. The rash hasn't cleared up and I noticed that after his bath last night, it looked terrible. So now I believe it's his body wash. I had to stop using his former Johnson & Johnson because it dried his skin out to the point of eczema. I switched to Aveeno Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash. It cleared up all the dried skin but now it's causing this rash. I don't know what to try now and this wash is supposed to be so good for sensitive skin. I've also tried babyganics but that was drying too. Help me :(

Re: At this point I'm just frustrated

• Options
    We used dove bar soap, fragrance free or the sensitive skin one (I can't remember), when this happened to my first. It helped her, no more rash.
  • Options
    I think I commented on that post as well. Try the California Baby brand. They sell it at Target. We use the Calendula shampoo/body wash and lotion, but they also make a Super Sensitive one. They're more expensive, $11 each, but they last a long time. Our LOs skin isn't super sensitive and she's never had a rash, but she was extremely dry and peeling when we were using J&J's. You can read more about the brand if you want, but they're supposed to be all natural/organic ingredients. 

In the past we've switched back to J&J to try to cut costs, and we never last more than a few days before I've gone back to Target to buy more California Baby products for bath time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @abchrist1 did they get the rash from the aveeno too?
  • Options
    We use Cerave. It is what was recommended after DD broke out in eczema. Works great. 
  • Options
    No, sorry I guess that's not helpful. She had skin issues when she was a baby. She's fine now, (2). She had eczema really bad and other rashes, the dove helped her. 
    Wish I had better advice, I know it's frustrating.
  • Options
    I think I commented on that post as well. Try the California Baby brand. They sell it at Target. We use the Calendula shampoo/body wash and lotion, but they also make a Super Sensitive one. They're more expensive, $11 each, but they last a long time. Our LOs skin isn't super sensitive and she's never had a rash, but she was extremely dry and peeling when we were using J&J's. You can read more about the brand if you want, but they're supposed to be all natural/organic ingredients. 

In the past we've switched back to J&J to try to cut costs, and we never last more than a few days before I've gone back to Target to buy more California Baby products for bath time. 
    Just wanted to say, the Cartwheel App has 15% off for the California Baby products right now. That's what we use and I love it! 
  • Options
    I was looking at California products before so I'm intrigued by them. I personally use Lush products on my own skin, does anyone use them on your babies? 
  • Options
    I recently switched to Wash With Water products and so far am in love! My LO's skin is so soft now (before it was moderately dry) and it even helped clear up her cradle cap. It is completely organic, vegan, and cruelty free so that's an added bonus :) it's a little pricey, but I've been using it almost 1 month and haven't event used half (I bathe LO daily). I hope you find something that works!
  • Options
    jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited March 2016
    We use California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo and Body Wash and love it!

We got the bigger jar with pump and it's still more than half full after 6 months, so a little goes a long way :)
  • Options
    Weird... Exact same thing happened to my son. After reading this I'm gonna try something else. Did seem this bad using j and j until the avenno. 
  • Options
    My son had awful eczema and we started using Dove sensitive body wash (it's not in the baby section) and it works so well. We got a huge pump dispenser bottle of it for 7$ and have been using it for a few months. Now his skin is so clear and soft
  • Options
    Our pedi just suggested 1% hydrocortisone. It has really helped my son - we used it yesterday morning, last night, and this morning & his rash looks sooo much better.
  • Options
    We just use the hydrocortisone on his body though. Not on his face. (Figured you know that, but just wanted to clarify) :)
  • Options
    We use Cetaphil now. Works great in conjunction with Waleda cream. 
  • Options
    Any local little shops around you to buy homemade soap and lotion? We found some at a natural parenting shop. DD1 has really sensitive skin, so we tried some local organic products. They were a saviour. Simple, few ingredients, and cheaper than store bought. I still buy castile soap (Dr Bronners) for bath and hand soap, and we use local shea butter cream, chapstick, bum cream, etc. She even makes deodorant!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think I'm going to try dove, I really like their products so I'm hoping he can use it too! 
  • Options
    I use Dove sensitive skin on our little guy. I had a lot of problems with his skin breaking out for awhile and our pediatrician actually told me to quit washing his entire body. So now I just wash his diaper area, hands, feet and face on a daily basis. We haven't had a rash issue since
  • Options
    I had his 6 month visit today so I asked the doctor and she wants us on dove sensitivity. Since the aveeno is an oatmeal wash, it may be an oatmeal allergy. Now the poor guys had to have a blood allergy test since he's had so many issues :(
  • Options
    I use Noodle & Boo 2in1 wash. I love it and it also has a great smell! 
  • Options
    I feel you. Last night I was holding my poor girl and I started crying because I don't know how to handle her eczema anymore.
  • Options
    My second LO had the same reaction to both j&j and aveeno. We use Burts Bees Baby now with no issues. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How often are you bathing him?  Some of my kids have really really sensitive skin for some reason, so we've had to at least a few days to a week in between baths.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    @mill1020 I like to bathe him every other day or every 3. Depends how much he spits up or has a blowout. He likes to spit up in his hair all the time so I usually need to wash it
  • Options
    We had horrific rashes on LO - they thought it was food allergies until we had her tested and it showed no allergies. The allergist explained she had eczema and to "frost her like a cake" twice a day, head to toe, with a thick Vaseline based cream like CeraVe or Aquaphor. Then spot treat any red flare with hydrocortisone cream. This simple regimen changed everything - her skin now looks amazing. But if we skip a time then her skin starts to flare right back up. Most Lo's will grow out of this apparently but until then, frost them like a cake with those thick barrier creams. My advice is forego lotions - if it's true eczema that flares up you really need the hydrocortisone and the thick Vaseline creams. At least that's been our experience and several others mom's experiences I know!