Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Back hurts from holding baby

I have a 10 week old who will only nap if I'm holding her and WALKING around. My neck and back are killing me from holding her all the time. She hates a baby carrier and I've tried the Bjorn and Moby wrap. She knows instantly when I sit down even in my rocker. It's funny how she knows the difference between walking and rocking! What can I do to help her nap on her own or am I out of luck until she gets older? I can put her in her crib and swing and she just stays awake for 30 minutes to an hour lying there until she fusses and cries to be picked up (at this point I'm sure she's overtired) what can I do???

Re: Back hurts from holding baby

• Options
    I have the same issue. DD Is 11 weeks and 14 lbs, and she won't sleep without walking around. At this point, I haven't found any solutions and just suck it up. My back is dying! You could get those heat pads that can stick to your back during the day, that'll help, but I don't have any solutions really...all babies are different and some just love to cuddle before sleep! 
  • Options
    2winterbabies2winterbabies member
    edited March 2016
    Do any of you have a bouncer? Maybe she'll like the vibrations of a bouncer instead of a swinging motion of a swimg?

If you have tried absolutely everything: changing diaper, feeding, change of clothes, bath time

I would just lay her down where she normally sleeps and let her cry it out for a few minutes. I don't know if they are too young, but I just let them "self soothe" themselves to sleep. If she doesn't sleep within a few minutes, pick her up, soothe her, and try again.

My DD used to be like that. Couldn't put her down for anything! I started to put her down on her own after I tried everything and it didn't take the first time to put her down to "cry it out". I had to gradually increase the time I stepped away. It should be something that you definitely do when they are a little bit older, but it just seems to me that my DD was too dependent on me. I wanted her to get used to my DH because half the time he will be with her while I am at work! It is very hard at first because of all the crying, but it was relief. I know some moms aren't for the whole "crying it out" method.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you swaddle her at all? I would try something else like a bouncy chair or RnP. Maybe she just doesn't like the swing. The key is to put her down at the first sign of being tired.
  • Options
    Do any of you have a bouncer? Maybe she'll like the vibrations of a bouncer instead of a swinging motion of a swimg?

If you have tried absolutely everything: changing diaper, feeding, change of clothes, bath time

I would just lay her down where she normally sleeps and let her cry it out for a few minutes. I don't know if they are too young, but I just let them "self soothe" themselves to sleep. If she doesn't sleep within a few minutes, pick her up, soothe her, and try again.

My DD used to be like that. Couldn't put her down for anything! I started to put her down on her own after I tried everything and it didn't take the first time to put her down to "cry it out". I had to gradually increase the time I stepped away. It should be something that you definitely do when they are a little bit older, but it just seems to me that my DD was too dependent on me. I wanted her to get used to my DH because half the time he will be with her while I am at work! It is very hard at first because of all the crying, but it was relief. I know some moms aren't for the whole "crying it out" method.
    They are too young to "cry it out" I personally hate this method. Your baby is crying for a reason and needs you to tend to her cries. A baby isn't "too dependent" they can't do anything for themselves so they kind of rely on you for this. my DD is 14w and I told her for naps and cosleep so I'd say suck it up until they are ready! 
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:

They are too young to "cry it out" I personally hate this method. Your baby is crying for a reason and needs you to tend to her cries. A baby isn't "too dependent" they can't do anything for themselves so they kind of rely on you for this. my DD is 14w and I told her for naps and cosleep so I'd say suck it up until they are ready! 

This. Her baby is way too young for that. You do just sort of have to suck it up and keep holding the baby. She won't understand if you lay her down and just let her cry.
  • Options
    TwizBeans said:
    kdoak2015 said:

This. Her baby is way too young for that. You do just sort of have to suck it up and keep holding the baby. She won't understand if you lay her down and just let her cry.
    I agree with TwizBeans on this one. I make my hubby mad, because he's all for the "cry it out" method, and I'm against it, because our LO is only 2.5 months old. They're still learning their surroundings, and what's going on in life. At this age, they won't understand why you're putting them down, while they're crying like crazy, and you just walk away from them. I feel horrible for our little one, when the hubby does this to him, so I go pick him up to soothe him. And I honestly never care that I make the hubby mad, either. :|