November 2015 Moms

I'll NEVER do that with my baby....

DogLoverX3DogLoverX3 member
edited March 2016 in November 2015 Moms
LOL! This is meant to be a fun post! As I was reading the post about baby food, and thinking about the recommendations our speech therapist gave us, I thought to myself..."Oh the things I never thought I'd do!"

I know my situation is a little different, having spent the entire month of Feb in the hospital and with our daughter have a NJ tube now, but I'm going to start us off.

First, an iPad in the crib. You've got to be kidding! She's 3 months; she doesn't need screen time, but when you are stuck in isolation in a hospital room, desperate times call for desperate measures. Miss Charlotte LOVES Mickey Mouse on the iPad! Playing in our food-no way! Speech just recommended we put her in a high chair (she'll be 4 months next week) and put baby food on the tray and let her play in it and put her hands in her mouth. She doesn't want eating and/or oral activities to be feared and forgotten due to the feeding tube in her intestines. She aspirates thin liquids and refluxes and then aspirates even 5ml of thickened formula(we tried it in the hospital). This is supposed to allow some oral work without getting too much in her stomach! And make eating fun, since it never has been! Anyway, that was a little long I guess! But those are a couple things I swore I'd never do! Lol

Ok moms, what are some things you swore you'd never do, but it didn't really work out that way?!

Re: I'll NEVER do that with my baby....

• Loading the player...
  • Food. Said I'd never give it to him early (before 6 months). Well we're sitting at close to 4 months and I've let LO suck on a few foods and have 1/3 a banana because he's so ready to eat. He started crying when I only let him suck on ½ and orange slice at lunch today (because even though I've acquiesced and allowed him to sample food I still want him to depend on breast milk a while longer).

Cosleeping. We only did it for a little bit but I swore we would never do it. But LO would only sleep on me until we let him sleep in our bed. He got comfortable in his cosleeper and I think that made him comfortable enough to sleep earlier in his crib. 

IPad/screen time. I swore he didn't need it. But he loves garage band and making music. And today he actually watched almost an entire half hour episode of a tv show. I watched it with him and we cuddled but he loved it. 

I I also said didn't plan to let my son dictate our schedule. Forget that. He yawns and nothing else matters - get that kid to his crib for his nap before it's too late!
  • Okay so I have been patiently waiting for this thread. I recall when we first got our BFPs there was a thread made by a FTM about what she wouldn't do and what kind of parent she will be. Most say no to electronic babysitters but the truth is, babies love bright flashing things so the tv and ipad works with calming them down or keeping their interest. 

Any moms out there who have been able to stick to their guns with things they " will never do with their baby"?
  • Okay so I have been patiently waiting for this thread. I recall when we first got our BFPs there was a thread made by a FTM about what she wouldn't do and what kind of parent she will be. Most say no to electronic babysitters but the truth is, babies love bright flashing things so the tv and ipad works with calming them down or keeping their interest. 

Any moms out there who have been able to stick to their guns with things they " will never do with their baby"?
    With DS we said no added sugar until 1 and we did it. Other than than that none I did all the things I said I would not do.  
    Paw patrol is a gift from heaven :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I said I would never let my kids watch shows/games on the iPad when out to dinner. That went out the window about a two years ago.

The one thing I have stuck to is no co sleeping. I have a friend who did and still does with her 9 and 4 year old. I don't want that to be me... 
  • The one thing we've managed to stick to was putting her in the crib from day one.  I'm pretty sure with a differs baby, we might have changed our tune, but she's a great sleeper and does really well in the crib.

While we don't cosleep at night, we do sometimes do it on weekend mornings if I want to sleep in, or for napping.  I am still scared to do it if it's too dark in the room, but if I can see her face, it's really nice to be able to bring her to bed in the morning, nurse and go back to sleep for a couple of more hours on a weekend.
  • DH and I said DS will not see or play with a phone until he's older...well we found out he loves to FaceTime and Skype family members since we live so far away from everyone. Also DH like to show him videos and songs on YouTube so that was a bust. 
    We also said we wouldn't do any food until 6months or so but he has sampled some licks of a few fruits. I also let him lick a sour gummy worm to see how he reacted...he licked his lips for like 5mins and then kept trying to bring it back to his mouth lol 
  • Would never have kids in our bed.  Yeah little man sleeps snuggled up to me every night.  Of course id rather him be in his crib or pack n play but he's not much of a fan of either so cosleeping allows us sleep.

I said I wouldn't put him in front of the TV until he's 2, and so far I haven't. Then again, I've also had to go back to therapy. I wonder sometimes if I gave him screen time, if I would be a little more sane... :)

I also said I wouldn't let my house get filled with plastic gizmos, and that went out the window really fast. I was all about cloth, fabric, wood, etc., and being as "natural" as possible or whatever. While I do try to play with him one-on-one and entertain him with non-toy toys (like crinkly paper and stuff), he has plenty of Fisher Price, Playskool, and Little Einstein thingies. Oh well. 

We said no juice for the first 2 years. We made it to 18 months. Close enough. Damn birthday parties. Also, Mom Mom babysits for free during the week, sooo drink all the juice!! 
  • I have kept up with no screen time and no bed sharing. I have failed at naps - I still hold her for all the naps. Ugh. 
  • Limie said:
    I would never suck snot out of my baby's nose using a nose frida. Yeah. .until baby got RSV and I couldn't get anything out with a bulb. I now love my nose frida!  If you don't have one get one! Lol its actually not gross at all. 
    It's not gross at all! It's actually pretty impossible to even come in contact with the snot. Love love love it. 
  • I have kept up with no screen time and no bed sharing. I have failed at naps - I still hold her for all the naps. Ugh. 
    My LO won't nap anywhere besides my arms :/ she does super well in her crib at night tho at least 

Pregnancy Ticker
    My LO won't nap anywhere besides my arms :/ she does super well in her crib at night tho at least 
    Same here! At night she falls asleep so quickly and isn't phased when she's put down. Naps are a different story though!

i also love my nose frida! I never wanted to use it but it's so satisfying; I couldn't live without it!
  • I've done ok at sticking to my "I will nevers"... with the exception of a few nights with the "no baby in the bed" rule.
    When she got sick, LO wouldn't settle unless she was held, so... needless to say a little cosleeping happened. 
  • I never thought I would nurse in public. I'm all for it, I just never thought I'd have the confidence to do it. But with a baby who doesn't like pacifiers and won't take a bottle if he can see or smell me, nursing in public has become pretty normal.
  • I used to work in child welfare, and after seeing some really sad circumstances re: cosleeping, I swore I never would.  I've been pretty good with sticking to it, though I do love to bring my daughter into bed in the mornings to nurse and snuggle before dad goes to work.  It's soooo tempting but I just can't do it.

I hate clutter and didn't want a bunch of brightly coloured baby things all over the house, and we've done pretty well with that.  I bought a lot of our things used and resell them as soon as she has outgrown them.  We have a basket for toys and only keep what fits inside upstairs, the rest is in a big tub in the basement that we rotate out.

Swore we would never use a soother.  DD uses one every nap and at night, since about four weeks.

Also said I would take the time to get ready every day, put on makeup, dress baby . . . messy bun, leggings and pj's are the norm most days.  What is makeup?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "I'll never be comfortable enough to nurse in public without a cover." HAHA. I try to be discrete, but in the end they're just boobs. The kid has to eat and no one wants to listen to him cry. 

The one that I've stuck to so far has been no co-sleeping. Not because I haven't wanted to! There's just no room in our bed lol
  • Not cloth diapering, but here I am addicted to fluffy bums waiting on two different orders of cloth diapers. When I was pregnant we decided we would do disposables because "poop is gross". Now that we're 4 months in we've changed our minds because "it's just a little poop".