TTC after 35

RE question: Time investment for the guy...

So I was reading a post on some of the different fertility options and some of the time commitments involved were mentioned and it occurred to me that if we go down one of those roads, what kind of time commitment is involved in some of these procedures?  Especially for the guy, because my H does not get a lot of time off and just to go to my last OBGYN appointment he either had to take a half of a vacation day or a whole day of sick time (and only gets two sick days a year).  Basically, they are jerks where he works about taking time off (however sometimes I think it's his anxiety about requesting and taking time off).  I would hope he could talk to them and let them know what we are trying to do and MAYBE they might be a little more accommodating.  But, what are the requirements/involvement for the male in some of these fertility options like IUI, IVF, etc.?  Could you provide any examples?  Thanks.
Me: 41
Husband: 40
TTC#1 since 9/2014
Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally

Re: RE question: Time investment for the guy...

• I think the only real obligation for the men is possibly going to a lab for blood work to look for genetic issues and sperm contribution for IUI and IVF. If they suspect the infertility is related to the man he will probably have to have an appointment to do the appropriate testing.There may be more that I am unaware of. I know the places I have talked to say they prefer to have both partners at the appointments but its not required. Other then that it would just be for moral support and rides home from appointments in which you could not drive yourself, but maybe you have someone else that could help on those days?
  • @rspalding001  - Thanks.  That makes me feel a little better.  His mother lives close by and has taken me to a few medical appointments before so that is an option.  I know he would want to be as much a part of it as possible, I just know it may not work out that way.  I told him he didn't have to go with me to the first RE appointment if he didn't want to take the time off.  
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Has he been checked out already?  If you're not dealing with male factor infertility, you may be able to freeze his sperm for some procedures, reducing his time obligation.  Fresh works better for IUI, but for IVF, the doctor may use ICSI anyway, which works with even low quality sperm.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• He hasn't gone to see the RE.  My first appointment is in two weeks but I don't think he's coming.  I figured I'd go first and see what they say/suggest since he doesn't get a lot of time off.  Thanks for the info, @Klake42.  
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • For IVF, our RE required BW for STDs (I think it's a government requirement actually) and a SA. We opted out of genetic tests for us. Neither BW or SA had to be done through RE. There were quicker and closer labs, but DH needed lab order (RE emailed). If there are no issues, the next step for DH was providing sperm for the procedure and our RE opens early so DH could have left for work if needed. For IVF that was it.