December 2015 Moms

Scary morning... Keep that blue bulb handy!

Just a little PSA... I always thought those blue bulbs they give you at the hospital were silly and didn't think I'd ever need one, but boy was it useful this morning! DD woke up from her morning nap and when I sat her up to give her a bottle she spit up thick snot and it came out her nose and clogged her up. She couldn't breathe for a few seconds... Scariest moment of my life! I screamed for DH and he went and got the snot sucker and the blue bulb while I held her almost upside down and pounded her back. I did the snot sucker and got a bunch of junk out of her nose and used the blue bulb to get the stuff from her throat. She wasn't interested in the bottle after that! We got her all cleared up and she fell back to sleep when she calmed down and slept for almost 2 hours. We set the humidifier up by us and when she woke up I turned the shower on as hot as it would go and sat in the bathroom with her for about 20 mins. I put some saline drops in her nose too. She took a bottle and she's sleeping again. She's not wheezing or rattling so I'm hoping it was just a one time thing. So keep those bulbs! I didn't think I would ever need it but it was a life saver! 

Re: Scary morning... Keep that blue bulb handy!

• andreaAL11andreaAL11 member
    edited February 2016
    Omg that's really scary!! So glad you got her to breathe and that she's okay!

I've always had the same thinking with the bulb, because we have a couple of baby hygiene kits and such that have their own small bulbs, but they're made out of harder plastic and it doesn't work whatsoever :disappointed: but DD was congested for a while and I used the one from the hospital and it was a heaven sent. 

Edited because I clicked post too soon...
  • So scary! Glad she's okay!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes I have 3 of those around! You just never know!
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Scary glad your DD is ok
  • Glad she is okay! I second the nose frida, it gets SO much more out! Also one of my favorite products. 

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• We have a couple of these lying around. I was given a lesson how to use one about a week ago when DD was in the hospital with RSV. It works way better if you hold one side of the nose closed with a finger and then suck out the other side. I have a son who is two, and until last week I didn't know how to properly use one. 
  • Thanks everyone! When I said snot sucker I meant the Nose Frida... DH makes me call it that because he "always forgets what the hell a Nose Frida is," (men) hahaha! That thing is amazing for a stuffy nose! I always put some saline drops in before I use it... It losens things up so the boogies come out easier. 
  • MomofEv+1 said:
    That is so scary! The blue bulb has nothing in the nose frida though. It's a disgusting concept with amazing results. It's my favorite baby product.
    Creeps me out too but the more i hear of them, the more i think i should get one. 

Op, so glad everything worked out. That must have been terrifying.
  • Glad your LO is ok!
  • Babies are scary little beings. I've had to jump up in the middle of the night to suck crap of DSs throat with the blue bulb. Twice. Scariest few seconds ever. hopefully you don't have to live through that feeling again
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That has happened to us several times. We did the humidifier and baby vapor rub aling with the nose drops so I could suck the snot out. She as like that for about 2 weeks and she got to the point where she was throwing up her formula with clumps snot-- which she would get chocked up on. A few nights ago she threw up snot and formula about 8 times and it was pretty scary but the nose frida which I also call the snot sucker and the bulb syringe they gave me at the hospital have been great. I did take her to the doctor after that horrible night because I was worried she was dehydrated because She couldn't keep anything down and wasn't peeing much or maybe had an ear infection or possibly a stomach bug. Dr said it was probably just a cold and the snot was making her sick nauseated. We gave her some of the pedialyte  stuff and slowly introduced formula back to her and managed to avoid the ER for fluids OP hopefully that won't happen to y'all, I'll be saying prayers.