July 2015 Moms
Options

Sign language

If you are teaching your LO sign, what all are you doing so far? Neither my husband or I know sign but we really want her to know ASL. So far I'm doing milk, and she knows what I mean when I say it. I'll do banana, potato, and numbers. 

Re: Sign language

• Options
    We are starting wifh the basics :) mom, dad, milk, dirty, finished, play. Just the generals and then we are going to go with the alphabets and more words. 
  • Options
    We started with "more". Then we will teach "please "   I plan to start with these two because I feel like they are the easiest to convey that she wants something. And letting us know what she wants will prevent the most meltdowns. We did the same with my son who is 4. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My SIL did this with my niece and it's a good idea to teach anyone who will frequently be watching your baby the signs too. She didn't bother to teach my brother or parents and no one knew what my niece wanted when she signed. She would also resort to sign language even when she knew how to talk. They would have to remind her to "use her words".
  • Options
    @Kater-cole that is so true. We've tried to show her grandparents a few, but they aren't around much to remember it. 
  • Options
    Baby signing time! There are some free videos you can use, we have the 4 dvd set that we use. She loves the songs! 
  • Options
    AKOL0AKOL0 member
    Signing Time is also on Netflix. There are 14 different episodes to watch. Since I've posted this, we have started a few more signs. 

Mama, daddy, water, love, hello, bye, and dog. The sign for dog is the dumbest by far. Lol. You just tap your leg (some do a snap after.) So far she still only understands milk. After I do the sign she'll hit my boobs and try to head to my nipple. Lol.