March 2016 Moms
Options

39 weeks, and no sign of labor

Im 39 weeks today, and I am completely closed. I'm a FTM. My doctor said at our next appointment we will schedule an induction. I don't want to be induced at all. 

Re: 39 weeks, and no sign of labor

• Options
    Schedule an induction for when? There are legitimate reasons to induce post-term, as the placenta begins to deteriorate. I had an induction scheduled for 41+3 last go around, which I luckily never needed because my daughter came that day all by herself. But I definitely would have welcomed the induction otherwise. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They said they probably wouldn't let me go much passed 41 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A lot can change in two weeks, don't lose hope! That being said, preparing yourself mentally is a good thing too. My docs will let you go to 42 weeks before inducing but at 41.5 I was totally ready I could tell at that point an extra 2 days wasn't going to matter. Good luck and hang in there - the last couple of weeks of waiting are the worst! 
  • Options
    That's pretty reasonable and standard. You might be able to ask for 42 weeks, but baby will have to come out eventually. Scheduling an induction doesn't mean you'll end up having one. Remember that just because you're not dilated today doesn't mean you won't be in full blown labor tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Im 39 weeks today, and I am completely closed. I'm a FTM. My doctor said at our next appointment we will schedule an induction. I don't want to be induced at all. 
    you can mention to them that you really dont want to be induced, but eventually they may have to. as a PP mentioned, the placenta starts to deteriorate if you go too fast past your EDD, which is why they do it. & keep in mind, just because at 39 weeks you're completely closed doesn't mean that at 40 weeks you'll still be closed (: things can go from 0-100 real quick!
  • Options
    I'm a FTM too. I don't want to be induced but the doctor said they may have to due to high blood pressure. I'm also 39 weeks and I find out tomorrow if I will be induced immediately. I was completely closed at 38 weeks and just found out a couple days ago that I'm 2cm. Listen to PP- we could go from 0 to ready in no time!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! Hopefully my body will do its thing here shortly.
  • Options
    I am 39 weeks today, too. My doctor said that at 40w 5d he will try some natural induction methods. Maybe your do can try some of these before resorting to pitocin.
  • Options
    amyidamyid member
    Don't worry, I'm 38 weeks and they said my cervix is thick and firmly closed today ! I'm being induced in 11 days at 39+4 if my babe hasn't come on her own as part of a study that is trying to show that 39-40 is better then waiting longer. Being induced was a no no for me but a lot can happen in 11 days, I'm sure you'll find the same thing, things can change quickly ! 
  • Options
    meg_2006meg_2006 member
    edited March 2016
    With my first I had absolutely no labor signs until, well, labor. I had no BH, no bloody show, no lost mucus plug. I was 0 cm dilated and only 20% effaced with no head engagement when they checked me at 41 weeks. 24
    hours later I was holding my son. Things change quickly!

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm also a FTM. My nurse and mom say a lot of women go late with their first pregnancy. I am 37 +3 and have not had any crazy contractions and my doc hasn't even checked my cervix at the last 2 appt because I wasn't dilated the first time she checked. It's best to let baby cook as long as s/he needs and get induced late if need be. :)
  • Options
    I'm 39 weeks + 6 days & they induced me. Why don't you want to be induced? Sometimes your body doesn't get you ready and its okay, they don't think I'll have a c section at all. I hope all is well for ya! 
  • Options
    With my 3rd baby I was a 'fingertip' at 39 weeks, which was hugely disappointing to me.  Dh and I had sex the following night and BAM hard contractions started 2 hrs later.  So I went from a fingertip to labor in a little over 24 hrs with no contractions ( other than bh) in between.  I will say however that once those contractions started they were painful and close together from the get-go, much different than the gradual ramp up I had with my prior two deliveries.  When I got to the hospital after a couple hours I was already at a 5 or 6 so they were definitely doing something.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry. With my first I was barely 1 cm at my 40 week appointment. We scheduled an induction for 41 weeks, but she came on her own at 40+3. Some women are 3-4 cm for 2-3 weeks before they deliver; other go from 0-10cm in a matter of hours.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think it's important to remember that doctors have reasons for their madness. That being said, it is also important to remember that you have the ultimate say. If you believe you should wait, you can say no to the induction or schedule it further out. There are also more natural ways to induce that do work, like sex and nipple stimulation, and membrane sweeps. With my first, I had zero signs of anything until the morning of 40+4 when water broke spontaneously. So, nothing happening at 39 weeks is pretty normal. I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and had zero signs of anything so far. 
    imageimage

• Options
    i had no signs of labor at 40+ weeks with my 3rd; my last appt at 40&6 i was 1cm. i ended up having him at 41w. i tend to never have any signs of labor and then my water just suddenly breaks. that being said, my friend was dilated to a stretchy 4cm from weeks 36-41 and had her baby at 42w. 
    and ITA with @mshukh ^ you have the final say. i was induced with my second, and i regret it. i wish i could go back in time and just say "nope" like all my instincts told me to. 

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    I'm on the same boat. FTM, due tomorrow and I'm about 80 or 90% effaced but still completely closed. Doctor said if I don't go this weekend (very slim chance I will but he said to remain hopeful) then Tuesday I'll have an NST and another ultrasound to check fluid levels. Should be induced by end of next week. Really wish I could go naturally so I'm still hoping for a miracle 
  • Options
    I went from no dilated to a baby in 12 hours at 40w0d. I wouldn't worry about it too much.