Birthing centers — The Bump
Phoenix Babies

Birthing centers

I've been really considering using a birthing center. I'm in the West Valley so the only one I could find over here is The Birth Nest. I plan on taking a tour there and The Babymoon Inn. (Which is farther, but I would like to see at least 2)

Has anyone had any experience with birth centers in the valley?

Re: Birthing centers

• I've been going to Babymoon Inn, and so far I really like it. I always knew I wanted to go to a birth center, rather than an obgyn. I wanted a less "medical" approach.

I started off going to an OBGYN though, while I was waiting to hear if my insurance would cover Babymoon. I didn't like the experience at all - very clinical, and it felt like I was just another pregnant lady. They even freaked us out by saying they couldn't see baby's kidneys on their ultrasound (which is bad), but everything turned out all right.

Babymoon has been wonderful. All the ladies there are very nice, gracious, helpful, and welcoming. They'll even hug you, which is nice when you're afraid, nervous, or just freaked out about something pregnancy related. Also, they offer free tea, coffee, and snacks. Today, there was cake!

The best part is that they'll listen to and answer all of your questions, without making you feel rushed or stupid. I highly recommend them.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for the response! I'm really looking for that "less clinical" feel. Since I always was hoping to go completely natural anyways, I really think a birthing center is my best bet. There's a possibility that we are moving to the East Coast in July, so as soon as I know for sure what we are doing, I'll be able to make a better decision.
  • Loading the player...
  • AZlaurenAZlauren
    Long-Lasting Membership 10 Comments 5 Love Its Photogenic
    edited March 2016
    I went to Babymoon Inn for my second pregnancy after going the traditional hospital/OB route with my first child.  The difference in care is impossible to put into words.  Midwives view birth completely differently than OBs generally do, and birthing out of hospital allows for a TRULY physiological birth.  I very much believed in my body's ability to birth my baby, and I wanted to see providers that shared this belief.  I'm also very influenced by research, and the research overwhelmingly supports midwifery care and birth centers for healthy, low-risk women.  The midwives at Babymoon not only made sure I had a healthy pregnancy, but they addressed my emotional needs as well, and I went into my birth completely free of fears and totally trusting in the process of birth.  

In the interest of full disclosure, I fell so in love with Babymoon after the first time I toured that I started working there and currently teach childbirth ed classes and facilitate the postpartum mommies groups!  So I have the unique perspective of experiencing Babymoon as both a mama AND an employee, and I wouldn't trade either experience for the world!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]  I would also invite you both (or anyone else reading this) to join our amazing Facebook group, Babymoon Inn Mommies.  It's open to all mamas and mamas-to-be, regardless of where you birth your baby.  It's such a supportive group of women! :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    br0co1ii
  • Thanks @AZlauren ! Once we decide on our future I'll be sure to get in touch!