July 2015 Moms

Out to eat

AKOL0AKOL0 member
edited March 2016 in July 2015 Moms
Have you taken your baby to a restaurant yet? We want to go to a sit down, but we don't think LO is ready yet.

Out to eat 73 votes

Yes
95% 70 votes
No
4% 3 votes

Re: Out to eat

• LO sits in the high chair.  I usually bring his food and/or nurse him.  It's usually an early dinner because he gets tired after 7.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• We have gone out since he was 2 weeks old, and he behaves really well, unless he is really tired but I usually always take stroller and ask for a table where I can put the stroller, I hang toys in his stroller and he plays with it. He then goes into my lap and sits there and tries grabbing the plate but as a family we interact with him, and I also nurse him if he is hungry. Don't be afraid to go out, it would be good for you guys as a family to start going out, I'm sure he will love it! Keep us updated and let us know if you do go! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Our baby is pretty chill. We usually sit in a booth and she stays in her car seat. We went out to eat for Valentine's Day and she was great, she slept and played with her books. 
  • She's been going to lunch with me since 6 weeks old. Dinner I think we took her around 8 weeks. Now we go to lunch or dinner as a family at least twice a week. LO stays with my parents during day and they go to lunch about 2 times a week too. So she's out a lot! We do a high hair and bring her solids. 
  • LO sits in the high chair.  I usually bring his food and/or nurse him.  It's usually an early dinner because he gets tired after 7.
    This is us exactly. I think DD feels like a big girl in the high chair.
  • VTomanVToman member
    edited March 2016
    We took her to a restaurant for the first time when she was 3 weeks old. She slept the whole time! Now that she's more active, she is in a high chair and I bring a few toys to keep her occupied. If she needs to eat, we'll bring her food with us. We just always make sure that we take her to a place that is cool with families - nowhere too fancy - and if possible, ask to be seated somewhere that she won't disturb other diners if she does have a meltdown. She's usually pretty chill, but you never know. 
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited March 2016
    sdevinci said:
    LO sits in the high chair.  I usually bring his food and/or nurse him.  It's usually an early dinner because he gets tired after 7.
    This is us exactly. I think DD feels like a big girl in the high chair.
    Lol my son just started sitting in the shopping cart and he feels like a big boy, he also enjoys it a lot! They are growing up so much!  :blush: 
  • Yes exactly what past posters said I've taken my son out since he was 4 weeks old and now that he's older he's so good and he literally knows when we're anywhere but home and he's always in his best behavior he loves being anywhere that's different. I can eat a whole meal at a restaurant because he's so fascinated with just the different environment than being at home. I encourage you to take your baby out and show them new and exciting things for them after all if your there by their side their gonna find it new and exciting not scary 
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    We haven't taken her out mostly because she isn't always calm. She can get really cranky and loud, and I don't want to disturb the other diners. I was thinking about waiting until she can feed herself. We have worked on finger foods, but she just won't bring it to her mouth. When we start, it'll be BK for a trial run. I think the bright colors will keep her attention long enough for us to eat. When we go to a store, often if we don't keep moving she'll get upset. 
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited March 2016
    AKOL0 said:
    We haven't taken her out mostly because she isn't always calm. She can get really cranky and loud, and I don't want to disturb the other diners. I was thinking about waiting until she can feed herself. We have worked on finger foods, but she just won't bring it to her mouth. When we start, it'll be BK for a trial run. I think the bright colors will keep her attention long enough for us to eat. When we go to a store, often if we don't keep moving she'll get upset. 
    Don't be afraid, you have to take her out so she gets use to it otherwise she might grow up and not like it. And don't mind the other people, what I learned is you won't be the only one with a baby or a kid, just make sure is a family place. I think she gets upset because she hasn't had any practice outside but the more you take her out the more she will learn and be fascinated. Dont worry mama she will be okay! I'm sure she will appreciate a different environment, and people understand when you have small kids, it's completely understandable if they get upset, they are babies and are just beginning to adapt to their family, their home and the world.

ETA: Also you can try to take her out after she had a long nap or anywhere before the night time so she won't be so tired. Keep us updated! 
  • We have taken LO out since he was about 6 weeks also, he usually slept then. Now we bring his bumbo multi with us since he is still a bit small for a high chair and he does great, we bring a few toys and some snacks or feed him if he gets hungry but most of the time he likes to watch what is going on around him.
  • Yes exactly what past posters said I've taken my son out since he was 4 weeks old and now that he's older he's so good and he literally knows when we're anywhere but home and he's always in his best behavior he loves being anywhere that's different. 
    I think it's the same for our LO. She has always been really great, almost better, in public. At home, she can get really impatient if the her food isn't coming fast enough or if I'm not entertaining her enough. But at a restaurant, she's fascinated by the movement and sounds and it keeps her entertained. She usually only gets loud when she's tired. The only real meltdown she's done in public was at Walmart and it was because she was tired and fighting sleep. 
  • I strongly suggest you go out to eat with LO... Delicious food, and you won't have to cook or do dishes! 

Like PPs, we have taken LO out from a very young age. I think I was anxious at first too. And, like your baby, Hazel was very scream-y those first dinners. Our solution? DH drove home and ordered me a large glass of wine :) Also, we made a point to go to baby-friendly restaurants. Our first were Jamaican and Mexican, and we went early on a Sunday night when folks were mostly at home. Though LO was fussing, everyone around us commented on how cute she was and tried to help out.

Now Hazel is used to restaurants. We usually hold her on our lap and/or use the high chair. She knows the difference between home and "out" and behaves angelically in public. 

Best of luck to you!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. 
  • Go out! We've been going out with Bubs since he was a few weeks old. Now that he's bigger, he likes to sit in the high chair and play with his toys. We usually bring some solids and a snack bottle (2-4 ounces) to keep his belly full and happy. If he's tired, he does get super crabby, but he'll usually settle down as long as someone holds him (not ideal, but it works). Typically, he's super stimulated by everything that's going on and that keeps him pretty content. We've only had a full-on meltdown once, when he was about 8 or 9 weeks old, and we just left early...no one was upset about the crabby baby and I was out the door with him before the screaming started, haha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When my son was a baby we could take him anywhere and he was super easy...DD on the other hand would scream etc... We used to take turns walking her outside so not up disturb other diners. But now she sits in the high chair, I bring food for her, plays with toys and if all else fails YouTube!! She loves to watch Harry the Bunny on YouTube. 
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    @Melis222 how old was your DD before she calmed down? I feel like if we had taken our DD out, she would have been the same way. 
  • Our little man has been out to dinner since a couple weeks old. I usually feed beforehand and bring his puffs or mum mum cookies and I will either nurse or formula feed (I can't keep up so he gets at least 1 formula bottle a day going through a growth spurt right now so he gets 2 at least usually sometimes my milk steps it up and I can cover him and just need one). For us he has behaved pretty much every time the times he didn't he was just tired and hungry one time but fights it cause he doesn't want to miss anything but will eat. The other time we think started teething it was a random outburst. 

You never know till you try start with a quick lunch to test the waters if that's easier :)
  • AKOL0 said:
    @Melis222 how old was your DD before she calmed down? I feel like if we had taken our DD out, she would have been the same way. 
    She started to be calmer out at dinner around 6-7 months old. Dinner before that wasn't a total disaster but it's much easier now! Good luck!!