August 2016 Moms
Options

Birth photography?

Is anyone considering having a birth photographer?  I didn't think I would want it with my first, but now I think I would with this one.  It seems like a lot of pressure to put on DH to capture the special moments-- he should get to enjoy them too. 

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016

Re: Birth photography?

• Options
    I was actually thinking the same thing as I don't have many pics of any of my kids's births. It is a lot to ask dh and we don't have anyone else in the room with us. I just saw pics on facebook of a friend who had someone do hers and they turned out great!
  • Options
    We had a friend come in and take pictures with our first. They are some of the most special pictures we have and she captured moments that I couldn't see because of being so focused on labor. This time around we will either have the same friend or are even talkin about hiring our professional family photograph. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom took pictures of the birth of my second daughter and I love them! It goes by so fast and I feel so lucky to have those moments captured!
  • Options
    We spoke about this briefly and we're leaning toward not having one. It's something that I would love to have, but we decided we would rather put more money into a better maternity/newborn photographer. We'll definitely be taking our camera and DH will snap some photos as he feels inclined. 2 of our best friends are really into photography and will likely be present (not during labor, but very soon after), to capture the moments. There is still a part of me that would like to have someone there to capture the look on my face and DH's face when we first meet the baby. There are just so many expenses, so I'm not sure if it's wise to spend the extra money. 
  • Options
    I decided not to do the actual birth, but we will have a photographer there soon after to capture the grandparents first meeting and such. I'm pretty excited out it! Especially since it is the first grand on both sides :heart: 
    first time momma
    -a heart at peace gives life to the body-
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MSUgrad12MSUgrad12 member
    edited March 2016
    I was actually thinking about posting this same question. The photographer that did our wedding is someone I've known for years (she used to be my hair dresser) and she is encouraging me to do birth photos. I want them and see the value in having someone there to capture the birth, but they are on the expensive side (I totally understand why, it's just hard to spend the money). She is amazing and is also a birth coach and the price includes a newborn or maternity session. I tried to talk to DH about it and he thinks it's silly and a waste of money, exact quote "you don't need any of what you just said." awesome. 

edit: coffee. sentence. making

Pregnancy20ticker

• Options
    I actually would really like to do something like this, but SO is not a fan.  I have a really nice DSLR camera, so I might have someone take some pictures for me. I'm most likely going to have a csection (twins), so I'm not sure how that would go in the operating room.  I am definitely doing maternity photos though!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MSUgrad12 My husband talked me out of a few things (newborn photos, a doula) with DD for the same reasons-- "not necessary", "too expensive."  I kind of regret not having those last time.  DH is insistent that this is our last baby, so I'm a bit inclined to push back and spend the money to capture those special moments (I appreciate that we're very lucky because we can afford to do so, if we so choose). 

• Options
    tmk0325 said:
    I actually would really like to do something like this, but SO is not a fan.  I have a really nice DSLR camera, so I might have someone take some pictures for me. I'm most likely going to have a csection (twins), so I'm not sure how that would go in the operating room.  I am definitely doing maternity photos though!  
    My hospital only allows one person in the room during a c section. I know some allow 2 so that might be an option but I'd look into your hospitals policies. 
  • Options

@fremdschamen @msugrad12My doula offers to do birth photography / a birth story. It's not that much additional, and her primary role is labor coach. She said we can opt for it even up to a few days before the birth, just to let her know.

Also, hiring a doula was something I told my husband was happening prior to TTC. I refused to even think about it until we could afford the fee. I still haven't decided on the "birth story." A part of me is like "am I even going to *want* to remember that? Isn't there a reason Mom's develop labor amnesia... so they are willing to do it again?"

• Options
    Allisun85 said:

@fremdschamen @msugrad12My doula offers to do birth photography / a birth story. It's not that much additional, and her primary role is labor coach. She said we can opt for it even up to a few days before the birth, just to let her know.

Also, hiring a doula was something I told my husband was happening prior to TTC. I refused to even think about it until we could afford the fee. I still haven't decided on the "birth story." A part of me is like "am I even going to *want* to remember that? Isn't there a reason Mom's develop labor amnesia... so they are willing to do it again?"

Yes! You are going to want to remember every detail-- even the really hard ones. It's a life changing experience. :)
  • Options
    I agree with @PJpeppercorn!  I wish I could remember more of my daughter's birth.