Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Almost 2 week old doesn't sleep in bassinet

Hi

I'm a FTM. My son is almost 2 weeks and he won't sleep in his bassinet. He only loves sleeping on my chest or in my arms. I know it's not good but it's the only way I can get some sleep at night. Does anybody have any suggestions?  Will he eventually sleep in his bassinet?  I have it right beside the bed but as soon as I put him in it then he is wide awake. I tried swaddling him and he'll stay asleep for 5 mins and wakes up again. 

Re: Almost 2 week old doesn't sleep in bassinet

• Hi

I'm a FTM. My son is almost 2 weeks and he won't sleep in his bassinet. He only loves sleeping on my chest or in my arms. I know it's not good but it's the only way I can get some sleep at night. Does anybody have any suggestions?  Will he eventually sleep in his bassinet?  I have it right beside the bed but as soon as I put him in it then he is wide awake. I tried swaddling him and he'll stay asleep for 5 mins and wakes up again. 
    This is completely normal for a 2 week old baby. Have you tried having him sleep on an incline? In a swing or RNP?

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No I haven't.  I'll try that! Thanks.  I just don't want him to develop bad sleeping habits. So I shouldn't worry?  Is it something that will be fixed with time? 

• Loading the player...
  • Yep. Totally normal. Most babies hate lying flat and some babies won't sleep anywhere except on mom. I would do whatever you have to do so you both get some SAFE sleep.
  • It's normal... and frustrating. Our little girl mostly sleeps in the RNP. We will deal with it later.

• Most young babies like to sleep on an incline and not flat. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Try white noise also. We use the SwaddleMe wraps that Velcro. They make ones that zip for newborns. They are easy to put on and seem to keep baby from "breaking out". When my little one was 2 weeks I would swaddle, rock in my arms with loud "shhh" noises close to her ear and white noise in the background.  As soon as she was out Id lay her down. Sometimes I'd have to pick her right back up and do it all over and still do sometimes. But she eventually stays asleep. She's 6 weeks now and sleeps better in her bassinet than anywhere else sometimes going 8 hours at night. Also, don't pick them up for any little noise or grunt they make. I only pick my DD up if she's awake and clearly getting fussy. Babies make a TON of noise in their sleep and it doesn't always mean they are awake. 
  • Mine was the same way, hated lying flat. He is almost 6 months and sometimes still sleeps on my chest. Babies are programed to want to be near their mothers. They know they need us for everything so it's natural for them to freak if they are not in out arms. Exhausting but totally normal and healthy. RnP worked great for us and a lot of moms swear by them. And don't worry about bad habits, you can't spoil a baby 1st of all, and 2nd you have to do what works for your baby as long as it's safe of coarse.
  • Thanks everyone!  It makes me feel better that it's a normal thing.  I live in Canada and for some reason RnP  isn't sold here anymore.  
  • We also put a little heating pack in our bassinet before we put our little guy down.  It reduces the temperature change between my chest and the bassinet which seems to help in addition to the swaddle sack
  • Thanks everyone!  It makes me feel better that it's a normal thing.  I live in Canada and for some reason RnP  isn't sold here anymore.  

I heard that. I'd look for something else that is similar.
    Look up the Graco dreamglider and see if they sell that. I used it from 11 weeks to 5 months for sleeping. It's bigger than a RnP, adjustable incline, less cradling, glides automatically. I still use it as a seat that glides and he will nap in it sometimes too. 
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    edited March 2016
    The heat pad thing works really well. My babies always woke up because of the temp change between me and the bassinet. Try keeping them swaddled while nursing and keep a heating pad on the bassinet and remove it just before you lay them down. Of course check the temp before putting them down. Keep it the same or barely warmer than your body temp.
  • I have a similar issue. DD will sleep just fine in her crib but not in her bassinet in the living room during the day anymore. She loves to sleep in her bouncer with the vibrations and white noise on. Other than that if she's not on me, she's not having it