LGBT Parenting

advice for at-home insemination

FirePoppyFirePoppy member
edited February 2016 in LGBT Parenting
Hi all,

My wife and I are using a known donor and planning our first inseminations for 2/29 and 3/1. We're thinking about using "the stork"--has anyone used this device? Any advice for placement, etc? What other methods have you all used and what advice do you have?

Also, how did you make sure mom#2 is involved? and how did you make the experience a bit more loving and romantic?

Thanks!!

Re: advice for at-home insemination

• We used the oral syringe that comes with some medicines (a fresh new one, I hasten to add)and A did the insem, so we could honestly say she was the one who knocked me up ;)

Would advise use of a plastic speculum (if you have one) to locate cervix. Other materials are cold and a bit too uncomfortable for anything resembling romantic. Remember not to aim directly at cervix but around it. If you are both comfortable with the idea, hitting the big O right after increases your chances and can be another way to make the process more intimate - just make sure non-carrying partner is wearing protection (it's been known to happen)

Good luck ;)
  • angelicac06angelicac06 member
    edited February 2016
    Yeah we used a needless syringe as well. Nothing else. :smile: I was pregnant the 2nd try. To make it romantic just make love before and take 5 secs to inseminate. Goodluck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the advice, ladies! I'll keep you posted on our progress :) 
  • @FirePoppy  GOOD LUCK TODAY AND TOMORROW! SENDING YOU STICKY WISHES!
    Me~35 Wife~32
    Together 6 years
    Married 2014
    TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
    11/5-ER
    11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
    Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
    7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

• Sorry, I'm late to the party. Good luck! 

One thing is I hope you had legal paperwork drawn up by a lawyer. Each state is different with how they handle these things, so I hope you have a lawyer that can handle this, the birth records, and adoption if needed. 

Keep us posted! 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, my wife is an attorney, as is our donor's sister, so we're all set :) Thanks for the reminder, though!

So we did the first insem after an unexpectedly early ovulation. Used the Stork--it was super easy to use and insert, stayed in great, etc. The only difficulty was removing the cervical cap after the six-hour mark...I didn't release the vacuum first, so it... (Sorry--TMI)...um... sort of popped out and shot the sample all over DW lol Too funny! 

I'm hopeful that we were successful, especially since we only got in one insem this month. Here comes the tww!
  • @FirePoppy glad to hear it went (semi) well lol. And even better news about yw being an attorney!

I also just wanted to remind any new people that might read this later about the legal aspect! :smile: 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Goodluck @FirePoppy! Try to distract yourself as much you can and resist testing early, lol. In our state any "intent" paperwork means absolutely nothing. It's all DNA based. Two lawyers practically called it useless. Straight for adoption we went. Luckily we're blessed with a very kind donor. He signed his rights away after the birth.