January 2016 Moms

Do you swaddle?

just curious how many people out there swaddle. Also if you used to swaddle when did you stop and why? (Besides the baby being able to roll over in which case is an no go for swaddling). What did you use to swaddle? What did you hate?

i currently have an escape artist when it comes to swaddles, muslin cloths, swaddleme, and halo swaddle sacks. All of them her hands end up making their way out almost every single time. We're debating trying the swaddle pods by SwaddleMe, she's only 5 weeks old and she's a tiny thing. 

Re: Do you swaddle?

• We love the halo sleep sacks.  Our LO is also an escape artist, hands wise, but she still manages to sleep soundly once swaddled, even with her hands free.
  • We used the swaddle pods until DD decided that she hates being swaddled. They work great though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Halo sleep sacks! I swaddle really tightly or
    she gets her hand up too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • We swadle at night with arms out using a recieving blanket
  • We swaddle with a blanket. Obviously she doesn't sleep like that. We bravely un swaddle her before she goes down. If she has a clean diaper and a full tummy it really relaxes her. 
  • We love the woombie because it zips right up with her hands so she can't escape. The idea is that it creates a womb like feeling for the baby. This weekend after sleeping 9+ hours straight in this swaddle she decided to roll over so we have started to transition out of the swaddle at 7 weeks. 
  • We use the halo swaddle, it's the only way she sleeps in her crib!
  • My LO hasnt been swaddled since bringing her home. She was in the hospital but once home she wanted nothing to do with it and we would wake up and her arms would be half out. So we stopped and she sleeps just as well. Her arms and legs flial but it doesn't wake her up oddly enough 
  • Have you tried double Swaddle? Blanket Swaddle then the swaddleme or halo
  • We use the Swaddle Me, swaddles.  I want to start transitioning DS into a Halo Sleep Sack, but he is still goes crazy with his arms and they cause him to wake up.  He may flail around and hit himself in the face, or scratch himself.  2 major things we want to check off of our list in the next 3-4 weeks are; getting DS to sleep in his crib, and get him out of the swaddle. I wish he didn't like it so much, and that he'd prefer to have arms/hands out.
  • My DD cannot stand having her hands swaddled, no matter what we do she fights to get them out since she likes to have them by her face when she sleeps. We wrap her from the chest down because she does like to feel snuggled in but leave her arms out and that seems to work for her! 
  • I swaddle at night when he's in his cradle because my LO will startle at noises and if he's not swaddled he flails and wakes himself. I have swaddle blankets by carters. They are stretchy so you can get them nice and snug.
  • I swaddle for night as part of the bedtime routine. We use the swaddleme pods, nice and tight, he looks like a stuffed burrito lol. 
  • We swaddle with arms out. He likes the tightness around his tummy. 
    I prefer the muslin swaddle blankets but just recently discovered Carters swaddles and they are so soft! 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • We use the swaddle pod, then swaddle again in a receiving blanket (it's cold). 

I highly recommend the swaddle pod if it fits, our little man is still using it at 4 weeks, no current measurements to give but 10 days ago he was 8lbs 5oz and 21.5 inches. He can't break out of it, but it's stretchy enough that he has some movement still without startling himself awake, and it means the blanket swaddle stays on too. 
  • I Swaddle with a muslin blanket as this was the only way babe couldn't escape until the last few days he'll get his hands free 25% of the time. The Swaddle me ones he breaks out of no problem. I'm considering the woombie but figure by the time it's shipped to me he might be done with the Swaddle! He's currently 5.5 weeks. 
  • We swaddle with the miracle blanket. She still escapes it half the time, but we can usually get a good hour or two in first. I'm actually going to buy a second one today. With blankets, she escapes almost instantly, and she doesn't sleep more than 30 minutes once she's unswaddled (and usually it's more like 5 minutes). We also have a Halo sleepsack to try but I didn't realize until it arrived that she's still too small for the size I bought. 
  • DS refuses to be swaddled. I've tried several kinds and he just screams.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • DS refuses to be swaddled. I've tried several kinds and he just screams.
    DD screams too -- at first. Then, after we fight about it for a few minutes, she succumbs to sweet, blissful sleep. I thought my baby hated being swaddled too until I realized she just hates the act of being swaddled, but loves the end result (after she calms down.)
  • l4rk said:
    DS refuses to be swaddled. I've tried several kinds and he just screams.
    DD screams too -- at first. Then, after we fight about it for a few minutes, she succumbs to sweet, blissful sleep. I thought my baby hated being swaddled too until I realized she just hates the act of being swaddled, but loves the end result (after she calms down.)
    Mine too!
  • l4rk said:
    Mine too!
    I tried. We had him swaddled on several occasion for 20+ minutes and he would get so worked up he would start overheating and it was just too much. We have found he likes to have a blanket around him, just needs to have his hands and arms free. I usually will rock him with a blanket over his back then lie him down in the rnp and lightly tuck the blanket under his legs, just so that he can't get it up near his face. I think it would be easier if he would swaddle, though! Less worry on my part lol.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • @Vamason89 we haven't tried to double, but I fear it would be too hot for her as we live in SoCal....she slept like an angel in the halo with her arms out, I was afraid of her startling herself awake bc she moves her arms around all the time still. We just put socks on her hands so she couldn't scratch herself and they surprisingly stayed on all night! 
    Guess we're just done with arms in, but she too likes the snug feel on her body. 
  • l4rk said:
    Mine too!
    I tried. We had him swaddled on several occasion for 20+ minutes and he would get so worked up he would start overheating and it was just too much. We have found he likes to have a blanket around him, just needs to have his hands and arms free. I usually will rock him with a blanket over his back then lie him down in the rnp and lightly tuck the blanket under his legs, just so that he can't get it up near his face. I think it would be easier if he would swaddle, though! Less worry on my part lol.
    Same. DS did well with the swaddle so it was baffling to me how much DD hates it. She likes sleeping sprawled out with hands above her head.
  • We never swaddled, he hasn't ever been into it. We have used the halo sleep sack with his arms out and that does the job.
  • I have an escape artist as well. What I've found is if you fold a receiving Blanket in a triangle and put baby on it with the tip pointing towards their feet. Take the side of the blanket and wrap it around their arm and under their butt. Do that on both sides and then swaddle in a muslin type Blanket or another receiving Blanket. Hope that makes sense. 
  • @Sleyva0320 I know exactly what you're talking about because that's what we do! 
  • We use the Love To Dream swaddle sack with arms up - it's a lifesaver and still allows her to use her hands to soothe. She hated her arms swaddled and always fought out and would get pissed.
  • The miracle blanket will hold any baby! When I switched to it my first baby instantly doubled his sleep times, yep a true miracle! lol 
  • I use the A&A swaddle blankets - love how stretchy and soft.  We have always swaddled with hands out.  I have a wombie but she could turn on her side the day we brought her home so I was scared to use wombie since there was no way to keep her hands out. When is it recommended to stop swaddling.  We are still doing it at 8 weeks. 

https://www.adenandanais.com/twinkle-4-pack-classic-swaddles-2038?gclid=Cj0KEQiAu9q2BRDq3MDbvOL1yaYBEiQAD6qoBuBlafX-SmzZnugQe-KFhmMlTiYzujRnLzU7S03Rw7MaAjyb8P8HAQ
  • We use the halo at night. Our LO loves it with her arms in. My DS hated to have his arms in so I was unsure of totally wrapping DD. But most nights I put her in and she is out within a couple minutes and gives us 4-8 hrs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I  hadn't been swaddling much after the first week.  Then he got sick at 6 weeks so I started again to help him get some sleep. Once his cold broke he started sleeping 7 hours at night.  I now swaddle him every night with the swaddle me brand I think it is. 
  • We use the swaddle me brand as well.  So much easier in the middle of the night then a blanket to swaddle 
  • we use the swaddle me as well. but underneath that we use a swaddle strap by Ana & Eve. it's amazing. ESP for those in warmer weather bc it's way less fabric. baby e gets swaddled when sh goes down for the night and sleeps till 2. but then at 4 she is super uncomfortable...I feel like I should take her out of the swaddle at that point but nervous bc it's out of our routine. 
  • Tried the woombie last night for the first time and he slept a 6 hr stretch for only the second time ever (8 weeks)!!! Hoping the woombie is our saviour!