Breastfeeding

Help!

jesssayingjesssaying member
edited February 2016 in Breastfeeding
DD had her vaccinations yesterday and is refusing bottle. The two could not be linked but seeing as a decrease in appetite is to be expected I think they are... The weird thing is: she is eating fine from the breast (stops frequently though out but seems full eventually). But she has always gone from breast to bottle perfectly while I'm at work. I left to go to work today and her daddy stayed home with her and she refused to eat.. She screamed for hours on end for him. Gave her infant Tylenol, tried the bottle more, screamed, screamed herself to sleep, and repeat... It got so bad (I was supposed to work 12 hours today) that I had to leave work early for the day.... I have to go in tomorrow and Sunday for 12 hours each day and I don't know what to do.... She has refused every single kind of bottle we have... 

Re: Help!

• How old is your LO? Here are links to bottle alternatives from Kellymom:
    https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/alternative-feeding/
    Your DH could try an oral syringe, medicine dropper, or a baby spoon instead of a bottle. 

Have you ever had trouble with excess lipase? 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • She's 16 weeks and I'll take a look at your link!
    no, 'I've never had any issues with extra lipase.
  • Loading the player...
  • Has she ever refused the bottle when she's sick?  I wonder if she's feeling achy/sore/tired from the vaccines and is looking for your comfort more than food
  • Try tasting your milk after it has been in the fridge for a day. At first my milk was fine, but after a month I had extra lipase and it would taste awful after being in the fridge overnight. (The lipase eats up the milk fast, which is what makes milk so yummy. My milk tasted so soapy it burned my throat. It wasn't dangerous or unhealthy to drink, just icky tasting.) If it does taste bad, you can scale the milk to deactivate (is that the right word?) the enzyme.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • pp - I believe the word you're looking for is "scald" (and here's how: https://www.wikihow.com/Scald-Milk)

However, I doubt it's lipase...

It sounds like baby just wanted a bit of extra time with mom.  I hope everything is back to normal, OP!