November 2015 Moms
Options

Hypospadia repair?

Wondering if anyone has experience with hypospadia repair surgery for their little boys? My son was born with it and we've seen a highly-recommended and highly-regarded pediatric urologist who said DS will need surgery to correct it after he is 6 months old. Apparently, it's fairly common (though I hadn't heard of it until DS was diagnosed when he was born) and the procedure is performed in about 1-1.5 hours as an outpatient. It's important for proper urinary function and later on, so he can have children of his own. However standard or routine it might be, it's a bit nerve-wracking for this first-time mom.

I appreciate any advice you have, if you or someone you know has experienced this, I'd love to hear about it to be prepared to ask the right questions, etc. 

Also, if you don't have experience with this, but have been through surgery for your LO, going under anesthesia, or anything related, I'd be interested to hear what you learned as you went through the process. 

Re: Hypospadia repair?

• Options
    When I was working I had two little guys in my class who had this!
     One little guy had it done in the middle of the week and came back to school the next day, the other little guy had it on a Friday so he had those extra couple of days in between. Both kids seemed fine when they came in, but the parents who'd had the extra time seemed much less stressed about leaving him the day he came back! 
    Each of them also had different instructions for care- one was pat dry with a rinsed out baby wipe, the other was coat it up with Vaseline. That's probably something that your doctor will go through with you in detail.  Both had an "under diaper" with a hole cut into it for the little penis to fit through, with an "over diaper" to catch the pee. That way the penis wasn't disturbed for every diaper change, only for poopy ones. I think the over diaper was a size up from the regular diaper, so that's something you could go ahead and have on hand.  
    One thing that worked well was having them wear those baby leggings they sell. That way you could tell pretty much immediately if they had a wet diaper, and they also didn't have pants pressing the diaper against them as they were trying to heal. 
    That's pretty much what I remember from it- I will say that both boys are toddlers now, and you wouldn't know the difference now. Both potty trained normally and all of that. 
  • Options
    I really appreciate your insight!! Thank you, @Squirtgun
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi there,
    My son had surgery at 10w to repair a cleft lip. He was under anesthesia and the surgery lasted around 4 hours. The waiting was definitely tough, but we felt comfortable with the team. His surgery was at a children's hospital, and they had an anesthesiologist, a nurse anesthetist, a pediatrician, a surgery nurse and the two plastic surgeons in the room the entire time. That definitely made me feel better. They are so careful with dosage and monitoring that you have very little to worry about with anesthesia anymore. 
    One thing no one told me is your LO may be significantly more gassy afterwards. Bring gas drops!
    Best of luck, I will be thinking of you and your LO. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad to hear your son was in great hands for his surgery. My son's surgery will be at a children's hospital, too, so they'll probably have an experienced pediatric anesthesiologist team like yours was. I definitely will want to speak with all of them prior to the surgery. It won't be for some time, until he's 6 months or older. 

Thanks again, @Peanut1128 !!

edit for typos!
  • Options
    Our son will have to have a circumcision at 6 months due to a small deformity. His scrotum is too far up and its making his penis pull down from the bottom and the skin is super tight on top. I'm curious to see how other babies deal with anesthesia. My 2 year old just had an MRI under and she didn't take it well. But hopefully a younger baby will take it better than she did!!
  • Options
    Our son will have to have a circumcision at 6 months due to a small deformity. His scrotum is too far up and its making his penis pull down from the bottom and the skin is super tight on top. I'm curious to see how other babies deal with anesthesia. My 2 year old just had an MRI under and she didn't take it well. But hopefully a younger baby will take it better than she did!!
    Sorry to hear your 2 year old didn't do well for her mri. What happened?
  • Options
    chelseaepleychelseaepley member
    edited March 2016
    @SoFlaMommie1128  She got diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidous. It's a very rare hormone deficiency that makes it hard for her body to retain water. She just drinks and pees it right out. There's 2 causes-pituitary tumor or kidney problems. Her MRI was clear for tumors so now we're waiting for another blood test to come back with her kidney info.
  • Options
    @SoFlaMommie1128  She got diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidous. It's a very rare hormone deficiency that makes it hard for her body to retain water. She just drinks and pees it right out. There's 2 causes-pituitary tumor or kidney problems. Her MRI was clear for tumors so now we're waiting for another blood test to come back with her kidney info.
    Sorry to hear! Sending well wishes!!! 
  • Options

thanks so much!