Infertility
Options

PGD Testing

Pookster1020Pookster1020 member
edited February 2016 in Infertility
Hi ladies, I unfortunately find myself back here after a year (you can check my other posts for the story) and while i'm not ready to head back to the doc yet IVF is my only chance for another baby.  I am 40 and wondering if I should head back early to do a retireval even if I'm not ready for a transfer yet.  

Who's done a retrieval without a fresh transfer?  Have you done PGD testing?  I'm wondering if the costs is the same.   My doc charged 5K for pgd testing before a fresh transfer but it was significantly cheaper on a FET.  I think given my age it's probably best to do the genetic testing to increase my chances for success.

Re: PGD Testing

• Options

I just did my egg retrieval last week on the 17th. We chose to do an FET so that we could do the PGD testing. We won't hear back until probably the 2nd week of March about the results. It's hard to wait, but we wanted the peace of mind that comes with the extra testing. It cost us an extra $1700, which covers up to 8 embryos. According to our doc, PGD testing isn't possible for fresh transfer, because it takes so long for results to come back. Maybe the extra expense was for expedited results?

If it were me, I would get the stims and ER out of the way now, because then you will have everything ready to go whenever you are ready. Praying for peace of mind for your upcoming decisions!

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    vssbrmvssbrm member
    edited February 2016
    We are currently doing a study that is to see if pgd testing actually yields better results that observation of the embryos. By doing this the testing was not charged for or any additional fees for doing a frozen transfer (we pay for the meds). If you are convened with costs maybe see if you can find something similar. 
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are doing both PGS and PGD  (PGS= chromosome testing; PGD= specific single gene identification--in our case we are looking for a BRCA mutation).  The cost for both was $5500 plus transport fees.  We are about to start a second egg retrieval and will send more samples for testing.  

My RE says that studies are showing that 50% or more of embryos are found to have chromosome issues, so it just didn't make sense NOT to do this.  Why go through all this $$ and time and put in an embryo that has no chance of ever becoming a baby.  The two embryos we had tested were graded 5AA and 6AA.  Turns out that the 5AA one has a chromosome issue.  They would never have known, and we would have just wondered why our IVF was unsuccessful.  Glad to have this extra testing so we know that whatever we put in actually has a good chance of sticking.
    Me: Age 38  Husband: Age 39
    Chemo killed my ovaries
    Currently:1 female embryo frozen at blastocyte stage, graded 6AA with a BRCA1 mutation
    4/16 ER cancelled on CD7: 1 follicle on L/ 0 follicles on R
    Now planning FET 7/6/16
    Also starting ER in June (my sister is donating eggs), and will try for a boy/second pregnancy
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses ladies.
  • Options
    We are aiming for a May IVF cycle and in June a frozen transfer. My doc said that for us FET was the only way to go since we are doing PGD to test for the Fragile X mutation; the clinic biopsies the embryos on Day 5 and it'll take 7-10 days to get the results. I think she had said at a previous meeting that the PGD testing would be around $5000 and the FET was about $3000, but our insurance is covering them since it's needed due to a genetic disorder, so I can't remember exactly how much it was quoted. We're hoping that with this one cycle we will have enough good embryos that we can freeze some to use, either in case this first cycle fails or if/when we're ready for kiddie #2 in a couple years...

I agree with the PPs about getting the stims and ER and PGD out of the way. then when you're ready, you'll have only healthy embryos waiting for you! :)