September 2016 Moms

when to start shoppin?

I'm 12wks yesterday & finally got my taxes back. So the little bit I have left over from bills/repairs I want to buy a couple things.
I know I need a size bigger pants as I've been wearing too tight pants for the past year. ....

Is 12wks too early to start shopping?

Re: when to start shoppin?

• My jeans got way too tight even at like 7 weeks (I think Christmas cookies were to blame as well!) so instead of buying a new pair- I just bought a pit of maternity ones! 
  • I'm just about at 12 weeks and haven't needed new pants yet,  bit I have used my Bella Band a couple of times.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as "too early".  Buy more or adjust as needed for comfort! And budget, of course :wink: 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I just worry because I still have a onsie and boots from the previous baby that we lost at almost 11wks :/ my friend had the good idea to put it in a box & save it for this baby so I can always remember the first ♡
  • I'm going into maternity as soon as my pants get tight. Maternity clothes are so much more comfortable that I'm not going to mess with hair ties and Bella bands. FWIW, I'm 11.5 weeks and bought a pair of maternity jeans yesterday because they were on sale.

• Assuming you mean shopping for yourself, I say start buying new clothes when you need them! There shouldn't be a timeline associated with it.
    Married: 3/21/15
    First time mom to a human but have been a puppy mamma for over 12 years :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• What about stuff for baby?
  • Im 13w 3d and bought some maternity clothes on zulily and they just arrived a few days ago.  The great thing about maternity is they are stretchy so they fit early and later on when you get bigger.  Some of the shirts I got are like dresses now but the jeans are super comfy and fit like leggings!  I haven't bought anything for baby yet, prob wont till after 20 wks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We won't buy anything until we know the sex
  • If you're talking about buying stuff for baby, really there's no "right" time. Start stocking up now if you want, then it won't be a big expense all at once later. If you're having a baby shower though, you may want to not get too much until after that. You could end up with gift cards and a lot of other things for baby. I'll wait until I found out the sex of this baby to really start shopping, but if I was team green I probably would have a good pile of stuff going on by now  ;)
  • I started buying maternity a few weeks ago and setting it aside. (Motherhood Maternity had some great summer clearance buys and it's stuff I'll definitely need.)

As far as stuff for the babies, we've started early, mostly because of the trade in deals at Babies R Us. It ends tomorrow and the next one isn't until September or October. We had cars eats to trade in that were expired as well as a couple of other things. For each trade in item, you get a 25% off coupon on a new item. So we went ahead and bought both infant seats and two swings. We've also bought a pack and play that's made specifically for twins that they'll use for the first 4-6 weeks to sleep in in our room.

Another idea - buy a pack of diapers every time you get paid and stash them away. I figure well have a good stock pile by the time they get here.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I second the diaper idea as pp said. We put $20 per week aside (would rotate between me and DH) and had $600 by the end. He also had a diaper party so we were set N-2. There's currently $300 still remaining in the fund because I'm a coupon whore and scarf up all of the deals. The beautiful thing about diapers is they have a long shelf life. I just purchased some "1's" at Target that were Honest Brand on clearance due to the polar bears/winter pattern. I could give a crap what they look like since baby is just going to dump in them anyway. 
  • I'm waiting for my maternity jeans to get here this week and I ordered them at 9 weeks. My pants don't fit and they are really uncomfortably as the day goes on. 

As far as baby stuff, we've already gotten our travel system and some smaller items. I'm 11 weeks but it's my 4th pregnancy (hopefully 1st take home baby) so we've accumulated from each pregnancy. 
    Me (23) & DH (26)
    TTC #1 since 2/2015
    BFP 2/26/15    |     EDD 11/4/15     |     Natural M/C 3/11/12 @ 6 weeks
    BFP 6/17/15    |     EDD 2/26/15     |     Empty Sac 7/13/15  @ 7 weeks     |    D&C 8/10/15
    BFP 11/26/15  |     EDD 8/9/16       |     Natural M/C 12/2/15 @ 4 weeks
    BFP 1/4/16      |     EDD 9/8/16       |     It's a BOY!                                      |     Hudson born 9/16/16
    Working with RE to begin infertility testing 12/2015

• Thanks guys! :)
    I bought my first pack of diapers. I think I looked completely horrified in the baby section  :# I was looking at all the stuff & realized I have some reading to do because I have NO CLUE what any of it is! 
    I tried to find a unisex onsie but got overwhelmed because a lot of them said "I love my daddy" things like that...& we are broken up so things I previously adored now make me cry....so that was a fun Walmart adventure!
  • I've started buying maternity clothes for myself already on local FB yard sale sites.

For the baby hopefully this weekend.  We were waiting till we found out what we are having, which is this week.   Every weekend for the next two months there are consignment sales going on so I plan on hitting them all up.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • @RedMar yes! That's one of the things I'm most excited about! We'll find out the beginning of May what the sex is. So perfect for garage sale-ing. 
  • We haven't bought anything for the baby yet. We had definitely gotten things for DD by this point (I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow). This time, I feel like there is still plenty of time. And I need to buy less. We will be stocking up on diapers as soon as Target has one of their amazing sales. 

• I overbought for a baby shower for a coworker, so we have a few Gerber sleep n plays set aside for this baby, otherwise we haven't gotten anything yet. I think last time we bought a couple outfits the day we found out the sex and will probably do the same this time around.

Try not to get too overwhelmed in the baby aisle.. a place like Babies R Us will give you a registry checklist that suggests how many of each thing you need (and you can decide how closely you want to adhere to that). Otherwise you just try things out and see how you like them as you go. Is one swing really superior to another? Nah, just different bells and whistles - same for most other products.

Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • homebirdhomebird member
    edited March 2016
    No way! Go shopping. Have fun. :)

We have a lot of baby stuff already, but I've been buying stuff for me. I've only been pregnant during cold months before, so I'm stocking up on summer stuff when I find it. I've also bought a pregnancy pillow (LOVE), and copious amounts of food. haha. I'm sure that doesn't count as a baby purchase. I've only picked out two outfits for the baby as we're team green and I'm just going to wait until baby is born for that.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I'm also 12 weeks as of this past Friday 2/26 and I went and shopped for maternity clothes on Saturday. I had been wearing my maternity band over my jeans so I could leave them unbutton since they had gotten tight but I decided to just get some clothes so I could be more comfortable.
    Me: 34, Unexplained Infertility, Hypothyroidism (after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and radioactive iodine treatment; taking Levothyroxine for hypothryoidism) | DH: 33, no fertility problems

● IUI #1: BFN ● IUI #2: BFN ● IUI #3: BFP 7/11/15 - MC at 8 Weeks  :( ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IUI #5: BFP! 12/29/15, 11dpiui
    1/1/2016 Beta #1 HCG: 58  Progesterone: 49.5
    1/3/2016 Beta #2 HCG:154 Progesterone: 55.9
    1/20/16 Ultrasound #1 6w3d, HB: 114 bpm
    1/29/16 Ultrasound #2 8w0d, HB: 171 bpm

• I started using the hair tie trick at 8 wks. Then I bought the bellaband at 9 wks. Neither of them were working comfortably, so I gave in and bought maternity pants from target. Two leggings and a pair of jeans. I'm so glad I did. I'm now 12wks 2 days and finally comfortable again
  • We bought a few Costco onesies early on because we were just too excited to hold back. I bought my first few maternity clothes pieces last week, because literally nothing below the belt was fitting anymore except leggings. And yesterday we bought a travel system because there was a great sale and I just couldn't pass it up. My paranoia has subsided quite a bit so it felt good to buy some baby stuff! We're planning on cloth diapering but we bought one 100 pack of newborn diapers just in case we decide to hold off the clothies until a few weeks in. Super excited for our tax return to get in this week so I can start building our cloth stash and buy some bigger items!
  • As for baby, I said I wasn't going to buy anything baby related since this is #3 and we just had a loss in October.  We're Team Green and everything we already have is neutral so I thought I was good.  I just realized a few days ago that the infant car seat we had for DS (who is 5 now) is expired!  Oops.  Glad I checked!  I ended up caving and going to Babies R Us to take advantage of the last day of their trade in offer and saved 30% on a new car seat for this one.  That's it for now. 

As for me, I just took out all my maternity clothes this weekend.  I'm wearing maternity pants now and love them!  So much better than squeezing into "regular" pants.  I might need some more summer appropriate maternity wear later, but I have what I need for now so I'm good.
  • I picked through clearance at Kohls and got some maternity leggings and 2 tops. The tops are ginormous but the leggings are great. I broke down and bought the next size up cammoflauge  pants yesterday. The military maternity clothes are 1) hideous 2) obvious to everyone that you're pregnant and 3) ginormous. I figure I'll wear them these bigger pants again postpartum  before I get back to my normal size. I'm going to wait until there is no other option to get those maternity uniforms. 

Yesterday was the last day I will wear my military khakis. I had to put a Spanx on and could barely breathe LOL. I don't have a bump so much as an expanding muffin top but that uniform is unforgiving. 

Im going to write Ash Carter and recommend yoga pants as the next uniform change. 
  • I purchased a pair of jeans that are up a size from what I normally wear. I'm not quite ready for maternity pants, and I'm hoping this single pair will get me through March and maybe early April before I'll probably cave and get a pair of maternity jeans! I'm really hoping to purchase as few maternity items as possible!
  • I blew out a pair of jeans trying to squeeze into them tonight......looks like I'll be doing some shopping pretty soon! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • RedMarRedMar member
    edited March 2016
    Also, another thing I recommend is to take advantage of clearance winter baby gear because it's everywhere. For example, I just bought a snowsuit (size 3-6m) for this LO @BRU for $12 (normally $60). I also do this for DS (especially since his size is a little easier to predict now that he's a toddler).