Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Taking the LO out

Never has my Ped said anything about us taking our DD out in public. She's almost 5 months and since day 6 we have been on the go. Day 6 she was in a stadium cheering on her big brother play soccer. Anyone who wants to hold her is more than welcome. Obviously if they say they are sick I tell them maybe next time. But really I haven't tried to stress over the whole germ thing. And she's been fine. I'm sure one day she will get sick. But so far so good (knock on wood).

I saw a post on a fb invite to a baby shower. A few of these girls with babies around the same age as my DD saying they couldn't come because their Ped told them don't take the baby out because it's cold and flu season. And that its not good for them until they have their vaccines ?? What?? I've never heard this!

Did I zone out? Or are they just being cautious? Anyone else ever hear this?
SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
 TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
 First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
DH's TESE surgery December 2013
First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
 Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
 Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
 Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
Baby Girl is due August 27th
Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

Re: Taking the LO out

• Options
    Ours just got RSV which can lead to pneumonia. It's wise to limit contact right now.
  • Options
    I was worried that this post was going to say that you still haven't taken baby out! Good for you. Sometimes I think people are overly paranoid of this. However, obviously use your best judgement. Keep stranger contact limited. Keep baby away from those that are sick. Vaccines won't help against the common cold or RSV. We still go to the grocery store, mall, etc. I'd still bring him to a baby shower if he were invited, but that's just me. You can't keep your baby in a bubble! My little dude is in daycare so he's already had several colds and RSV once. It sucked but obv we couldn't avoid that anyway.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My PED did say limit large crowds at first appointment but that it was fine to run errands and be around people. Suggested limiting exposure to people with colds and such. I did avoid large crowds the first couple months but honestly I didn't feel up to large crowds either. LO is almost 5 months and we take him everywhere now. He has had a couple of colds but can't avoid everyone just have to use our common sense
  • Options
    I was worried that this post was going to say that you still haven't taken baby out! Good for you. Sometimes I think people are overly paranoid of this. However, obviously use your best judgement. Keep stranger contact limited. Keep baby away from those that are sick. Vaccines won't help against the common cold or RSV. We still go to the grocery store, mall, etc. I'd still bring him to a baby shower if he were invited, but that's just me. You can't keep your baby in a bubble! My little dude is in daycare so he's already had several colds and RSV once. It sucked but obv we couldn't avoid that anyway.

This.
  • Options
    I have taken mine everywhere from the day after we left the hospital!  He just got over RSV and even during that he still left the house a couple of times to go to dinner with us or to visit relatives.  I say take them everywhere as long as its not a terribly dirty disease ridden place or a country with unclean water.
  • Options
    I take LO everywhere...if I didn't, her older siblings would live at school, we wouldn't have food, and I'd be in the looney bin :-)

It just isn't realistic to lock yourself inside for months at a time purely because germs exist, in my opinion. It's possible my opinion is influenced by having 2 elementary aged germ factories living in my house but thus far, LO has only had a stuffy nose (knock on wood).

Take reasonable precautions, yes. Become a hermit until the groundhog says spring has arrived? Nope.
  • Options
    Babies are just an excuse to get out of doing stuff sometimes. We get sick from being around sick people not just being out in public. You breastfeeding right? I was less worried about him getting sick when I breastfed. That being said I came down with bronchitis right after I stopped BF and LO didn't get sick at all. Babies catch colds and it's okay, they can start daycare at 6 weeks and catch colds all the time. Unless there's a medical reason I say take baby out.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!! I think they are just being overly cautious. I'll be heading off to the shower next weekend with her. Right now we are going to try to make it through this blizzard we are getting. WHERES THE WINE??

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 

• Options
    Ah the blizzard...I got so excited because it finally cooled off enough to use my baby jogger, now it's too cold :/ The Floridians are going to freeze this weekend when it hits 40 degrees!
  • Options

Ah the blizzard...I got so excited because it finally cooled off enough to use my baby jogger, now it's too cold :/ The Floridians are going to freeze this weekend when it hits 40 degrees!

Our pool is now a skating rink.

Long of the Short:
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 

• Options
    Oh I love the trees! When my husband can retire we're going to Connecticut. It's where I'm from originally and all police department were on hiring freeze years ago so we just stayed down here. Looking forward to having seasons some day besides warm, cool for a week, hot, and sweltering hot!
  • Options
    Wow just heard how bad it is. Stay safe!!!
  • Options
    What about working moms? Lol.  Mine is in daycare,  mind you he is recovering from rsv at then moment,  but the fact is whether u expose them now or later,  that will be exposed at some point,  and until they get it they will not have antibodies to fight it.  It's just that sick babies can be scary.  My son catching Rsv nearly killed me of fright. Don't keep them in a bubble, do use good hygiene practices, when around others though.  5 nights is a hospital is not an affordable or pleasant vacation.... :/
  • Options
    My peds said to keep my LO inside for eight weeks but she was a premie with breathing issues. The cold or flu would put her back in the hospital. Now at 4 months I take her to people's houses but not in large crowds. Seeing her hookup to ivs and on a breathing machine has scared me. 

• Options
    Haha! How are you meant to get on with life without taking your baby out?? Just use your instincts, you know what is a bad situation for your little one and enjoy the baby shower!

• Options
    I had to get out with my LO during the second week. First week I just wanted my rest! During the cold seasons pediatricians recommended not taking them to places with large crowds because they could get sick with the flu, for example. So they tell you to wait for their vaccines.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker