December 2015 Moms
Options

Moving baby to own room...

My daughter is 10 weeks on Wednesday and has been sleeping through the night since she was 1 and a 1/2 weeks.  She wakes up between 6/7am to eat which right now is nice I just scoop her up and feed her and we go back to sleep so its convient to have her right next to me. I go back to work in a few weeks and will have to get up at 530... I'll be waking her up to eat before I leave so my husband can just get her ready when he gets up. Has anyone moved their little to their own room? Did you feel like it was right? Have any guilt? (First time mom looking for a little advise) 

Re: Moving baby to own room...

• Options

Wow, what a little sleeper you have!  My daughter still nurses 2 times a night.  She had RSV at 8 weeks, so that delayed our transition, but now she's in her crib in her room overnight.  I did it slowly and brought her into our room after the second (4 am) feeding for a while.  I did that mainly because she doesn't cry when she wakes in the morning (she's a coo'er) so I didn't know when she was awake.  Now I'm finding that we all sleep a little better if she wakes in her own bed.  Our older kids are always waking us in the early morning hours, and she was getting disturbed in our room.

I do miss her a bit.  She's my last baby and it is hard to see her grow up.  But it was just time.  I feel no guilt. In fact, I believe it is best for her to get good, quality sleep. 

It will be fine!  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    My 12 week old has been in her crib in the nursery since she was 4 weeks. She slept through the night for the first time the first night she slept in there so I'm thinking it was the right time. She never slept with us, but was in our room for a bit in her pack and play. She begins stirring around 6 and we go in a usually stick the pacifier back in 2x. Anything after that and I bring her in to cuddle with me until 8 or so. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD has slept in her own room since day one,  except for a few weeks where her reflux was bad and she kept getting colds.  Since we've moved her back into her room, she's been sleeping 8-10 hours.  I get her nice and drowsy, and then she reaches a point where she seems to get frustrated if I'm still holding her.  That part makes me sad, but I can't be too upset since I'm getting sleep and she's still snuggly during the day. 

I've felt guilt,  but overall know that this is the best situation for my family.  I initially cranked up the monitor and I still sleep with it clipped to my pillow, which I know is excessive, but I feel better being able to hear her. She seems content and chats with her mobile when she wakes up,  then greets DH or me with smiles and happy coos. 

Good luck! 
  • Options
    My LO is 10 wks today, and I'm just starting to have him nap in his crib, hoping to transition to night time crib sleep. He has been sleeping in a rnp next to my bed. Today was the first day I tried to put him down in the crib, and he slept for 5 mins and woke up. I have the feeling this transition is going to be extremely difficult.
  • Options
    Right now I have a 2 bedroom. My room and DS' room. Baby sleeps with us at night, but as soon as we move into a house by the end of March that all will change. She is sleeping in her crib! We have baby in a bassinet for now 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My little guy has been sleeping in his room since about 6-7 weeks. I started out putting him in his bed for naps then after a couple days of that he started sleeping in his bed at night. I keep his monitor on my nightstand so I can check on him as often as I'd like. Sometimes I do get sad putting him to bed in his room but that's just me being selfish because he sleeps better in there.
  • Options
    My little guy has been sleeping in his room since about 6-7 weeks. I started out putting him in his bed for naps then after a couple days of that he started sleeping in his bed at night. I keep his monitor on my nightstand so I can check on him as often as I'd like. Sometimes I do get sad putting him to bed in his room but that's just me being selfish because he sleeps better in there.
  • Options
    We haven't transitioned yet. DS is outgrowing is bassinet, but sleeps so well in there I hesitate to change things. Plus I'm going back to work this week so the selfish part of me wants to keep him close at night. I do want to make the transition before the 4 month sleep regression though.

We transitioned my first at 8 months because we were in a 1 bedroom condo until then and he was in a crib in our room. Sneaking around in the dark at night trying not to wake the baby got really old! 
  • Options
    Safe sleep guidelines recommend to room share for the first 6 months. We did 7.5 with our middle daughter and we'll do sometime after 6 months for this one.
  • Options
    My kid is 8 weeks old, and she is ready to sleep in her own room, but I'm not ready! She is a great sleeper, and sleeps her first shift in the bassinet in our room (5-7 hours), and the second shift (2-3 hours) in her crib in her room, plus she will nap in her crib during the day. She sleeps better in there! I am just not ready to have her out of arms reach just yet. I wish her crib would fit in our bedroom, because she is outgrowing the bassinet and I would like to have her near me a while longer.
  • Options
    DD will be staying in our room for a while until she can share a room with her brother. DS on the other hand moved to his own room around 12 weeks. By then we knew we were going to eff and his room is right by the kitchen where we were going for bottles anyway. Plus he was a much lighter sleeper and every moment would wake him up. The decision was just right with him, the same way it makes sense DD stay in our bedroom longer.
  • Options
    We have had him in his crib in his room since the beginning. We all sleep better that way. I felt super uncomfortable having him sleep in anything besides a crib when I wasn't awake to monitor him, so I felt less guilty putting him in a crib, not more, but I might be an anomaly.
  • Options
    My son is 17 weeks now (lurking from N15!) and we bed shared until he was about 3 months. Then we started to slowly transition him to his crib that's in our bedroom and gradually get him on a nap/sleep schedule. Everyone is so different in what they feel comfortable doing with their child so just do what feels right for you and your baby! You know best after all, you're her momma! If your baby will be woken up by sleeping in your room once you start back to work, I mean I'd probably switch my baby to his own room then too. Maybe get a video monitor or something so that you can keep a close watch on her! 
  • Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how to do this. I got her to sleep in her crib for 2 hours the other night but the only way she will sleep on her back is in her mamaroo, other than that she's a tummy sleeper and it's very hard to transfer her from my chest to her crib in a tummy position without waking her up. I tried putting her down last night on her back after she was asleep and she instantly woke up. Her startle reflex is strong but hates being swaddled. I feel we won't be able to transition her for a while and as much as I love her snuggles at night, I need some sleep. So for now she sleeps in her mamaroo next to my side of the bed. Her crib is also in our room next to our bed, because she sleeps on her tummy I don't feel comfortable letting her sleep alone. 
  • Options
    Update: I have her sleeping in her crib right now for a nap! She seems to be fine. BUT she's been such an easy baby! She goes from bottle to breast no problem sleeps great in the night... Is our sweet happy baby! I know in my heart she will do fine with moving to her own room... But I think it's just my selfish reasons I want to keep her next to me in her co-sleeper bed. (We all sleep fine we dony bother her and she doesnt bother us )Thank you ladies for all the advise! 
  • Options
    I just moved my DS to the crib in his room last week. He also sleeps thru the night and I'll be returning to work as well so that's why I moved him. He's adjusted very well. The first night it felt like something was missing from our room but then we got used to it. I feel like he sleeps better in his crib anyway and I do also cause I'm not woken up by every noise and grunt he makes. 
  • Options
    My LO is 13 weeks and is still sleeping in a her pack n play on our room right now.... I am hesitant to move her to her own room until she can roll over on her own she has acid reflux and in terrified she will get sick and I won't hear her on the baby monitor and she will aspirate or worse choke. And besides she still isn't sleeping through the night so it's easy when she wakes up to just grab and feed.
  • Options
    Just tried our first night in the crib...after an hour of waking up every 5 minutes,..she is back in the bassinet in our room (sound asleep) Maybe I'll move the bassinet into her room and try the transition that way? Has anyone tried that before? 
  • Options
    I sleep in his room. He still wakes up a couple of times at night, so DH is in our room on his own. His room is across the house from our room, so I'm not walking all the way there twice a night. When he's sleeping through the night, I'll move back to our room. We don't have a crib set up for him yet. DD (2 years old) was still sleeping in it until a couple of nights ago as a toddler bed. DH dismantled it while she was with me at the grocery store this weekend, and we moved her to the Queen bed in her room. In a few weeks, we will put it back together as a crib for DS in his room. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Update: I have her sleeping in her crib right now for a nap! She seems to be fine. BUT she's been such an easy baby! She goes from bottle to breast no problem sleeps great in the night... Is our sweet happy baby! I know in my heart she will do fine with moving to her own room... But I think it's just my selfish reasons I want to keep her next to me in her co-sleeper bed. (We all sleep fine we dony bother her and she doesnt bother us )Thank you ladies for all the advise! 
    Totally normal. DD is having a reflux flare up and has been coughing,  so I'm using that as an excuse to sleep in her room tonight.  DH totally called me out, too.
  • Options
    Update: I think our issue is that DS is going from angled to flat sleeping surface. I'm going to start having him sleep in the flat travel bassinet we have in our room instead of the RNP he was using, and then transition from that to his crib. His startle reflex is waking him up so much when he's laying flat, when does that usually go away??
  • Options
    rzarembarzaremba member
    edited March 2016
    Just tried our first night in the crib...after an hour of waking up every 5 minutes,..she is back in the bassinet in our room (sound asleep) Maybe I'll move the bassinet into her room and try the transition that way? Has anyone tried that before? 
    This is going to be my next idea if I can't get him to sleep flat on his back.
  • Options
    rzaremba said:
    Update: I think our issue is that DS is going from angled to flat sleeping surface. I'm going to start having him sleep in the flat travel bassinet we have in our room instead of the RNP he was using, and then transition from that to his crib. His startle reflex is waking him up so much when he's laying flat, when does that usually go away??
    • When does the startle reflex go away? By the time your baby’s about 6 weeks old, he’ll acclimate to life on the outside and feel more secure in his surroundings (thanks to you). His startle reflex will decrease and ultimately disappear when baby is 4 to 6 months old. In the meantime, don’t sweat the startles — but do try to offer your infant lots of extra support when you’re toting him from one place to another. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers