September 2015 Moms
Options

car seats

My DD is 22 weeks old and within the last 2 weeks has started to HATE her car seat... What is a normal time for them to get out of the infant car seat? I know it's a height and weight thing but I don't really trust my home scale to be accurate, she was only 15lbs at her last appt. but that was about a month ago and I have another month to go before her next appt. also she was already 25" and it seems like she's growing like a weed, the 6-9 month pjs already seem like they're getting too short for her... Is anyone else already dealing with this? It seems like her little feet are ready to hang out the end of the thing and I hate taking her anywhere because she starts crying as soon as I put her in it... I'm just so not ready for this, I want a maternity test I am sooo not a tall person, lol.

Re: car seats

• Options
    My LO was ready to transition around that age. He hasn't cried in his car seat since we made the switch.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, I was worried I was rushing it...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine is 30 lbs or 30"... He won't be 30 lbs forever since he was just 16.2 but he's over 28" so we may have to transition once he hits the 30" mark. Most seats go by a height and weight max. 
  • Options
    We switched already. I always took her out of the seat anyway, and it's easier to get her in and out of the convertible. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At our 5 month appt she was 15lbs 13oz and 26in, our car seat went to 30/30 but she already hated it so we switched to the graco 4ever and she doesn't cry or fight the car seat anymore. She was getting too heavy to carry in the bucket seat anyway, just wish we would have gotten a convertible from the beginning! I feel like the bucket seat was a waste of money...
  • Options
    Find out the height/weight limits for your seat, but remember not to let your LO's head get less than 1" from the top of the seat even if they are still under weight, then it is time to move on. Though if you're going to buy a convertible anyway why not get it now and see if they like it better! 
  • Options
    If you plan to switch seats now,  babies r us is having a trade in event where you trade in something used and get 25% off a new item.  I took a used $15 bouncer from Walmart that baby didn't use anymore and got $45 off his new seat.  You can trade almost anything for almost  anything. I believe it ends on the 29th 
  • Options
    We switched my other two at 5 months.  With this DD we are switching soon.  We only have one bucket base so DH's car already has the convertible car seat for his days to pick her up from school.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We just switched LO into a convertible seat. Even though he's nowhere near the height or weight limit for the infant seat, I think it was getting uncomfortable anyway. He seems much more comfortable and happy in the new seat.
  • Options
    We just transitioned our 6-month-old to a rear-facing convertible seat. He still fit in his infant seat (he's almost 20 lbs and 28 inches), but he was too heavy to carry in it anymore so it made sense to switch. 

The concertivle car seat we bought also has side impact protection (most do), and it's obvious when looking at it that LO is even more protected in it now that he's bigger. :)
  • Options
    jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited February 2016
    rjanice said:
    If you plan to switch seats now,  babies r us is having a trade in event where you trade in something used and get 25% off a new item.  I took a used $15 bouncer from Walmart that baby didn't use anymore and got $45 off his new seat.  You can trade almost anything for almost  anything. I believe it ends on the 29th 
    We also took advantage of this deal. We had to buy three car seats and ended up getting spendy ones, so this saved us tons of money! I didn't have anything to trade in, so I actually posted an "in search of" ad on my local Facebook garage sale page and was able to take three expired car seats off someone's hands to trade in. 
  • Options
    Reading this is making me re-think our infant carrier. My LO has been on the big side since the day he was born. He has his six month appointment next week and I have a feeling we will be past the height point for his infant carrier.....I am going to wait to see but I have a feeling... it may be time for our convertible seat! Man it is a love hate relationship each little time something changes or needs to change because he is getting so big... im proud but at the same time so sad hes growing so fast!
  • Options
    We're getting our convertible seat tomorrow. So excited! Maybe my little dude will start taking naps on the car again lol
  • Options
    Okay, what convertible rear facing brands do you ladies have and like?  And is the only difference the car seat just stays stationary in the car and you carry little one to the garage and put them in it? Lol 
  • Options
    @LoveLee2014 Britax makes excellent car seats.  All of my kids have one.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Finally bought one today, did a safety first convertible, squeaked in at the last minute for the babies r us sale, thanks for the advice, hope this makes a difference, I felt so bad stuffing her into the bucket seat! Anyone else feel like toys r us is stalking them? It's like I have a thought and the next morning to have an email from them on exactly what I was thinking before I even do research... Lol
  • Options
    Yes! Britax clicktight are amazing, we have the advocate and boulevard.