September 2015 Moms
Options

Relactation

I know it's a strange topic, but I'm attempting relactation after 5 months and want to know if any other mothers have attempted it/ heard of anyone doing it? My LO is almost 6 months old and she has terrible allergies and is always getting sick so I want to try and breast feed again so she can have that nutrition. 

Re: Relactation

• Options
    I wish I wasn't on anxiety medication because I want to so terribly. I miss it so much and it makes me sad/jealous when I see breastfeeding photos. I wish you luck!
  • Options
    It is TOTALLY possible!! It will take some determination and perseverance though. I have not gone through it but have heard from many moms in breastfeeding support groups who have. I would recommend searching out a group near you or even a lactation consultant for some specific tips to help you on your journey! I also think there is a mom on this board who has done it and posted about it (maybe try the search function to find her posts). Good luck, mama!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I believe @BrittnieMariee has been posting about her relactation journey. Maybe she can provide some insight for you :smile: 
  • Options
    I haven't tried but I have a few Mothers Milk teabags left I could mail you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good luck!  Are you seeing a lactation consultant?  They sometimes have support groups too.

Just something to keep in mind - your daughter may have still had terrible allergies/lots of illnesses even if she was getting breastmilk.   My husband has bad allergies/some asthma issues and gets sick often, and my MIL nursed him till he was 2 or 3 years old.  That helps me feel better about my supply issues (my son gets 12-16 oz of formula a day).
  • Options
    I am trying to relactate as well. Feel free to ask me anything! I'm trying it all. I've been to 3 LCs and I'm taking supplements. I've been on reglan and make sure to stay hydrated, and I've been drinking Mother's Milk Tea. I've rented a hospital grade pump and gotten a supplemental nursing system (SNS) to try to encourage DS back to the breast. I've been going for just over 2 weeks now so I'm hoping to see results in the next few weeks. 
  • Options
    Highly recommend seeing a lactation consultant. I had a lot of supply issues in the beginning and with a lot of work and her help I'm EBF no problem now.
  • Options
    Just want to add that La Leche League is one of the best BF resources out there.