January 2016 Moms

EBF poop?

so up until now (little one is 6 weeks) we have had strictly seedy mustard colored bowel movements.  Today they are green and stringy? (That is the best adjective I can think of for the consistency) still very liquid but instead of seedy there are larger clumps.  Is this normal? Is it possibly something I am eating? I will ask the pediatrician too, just wanted to get your input.  

Re: EBF poop?

• I've heard and read that green poop is considered fine for EBF. My son was all yellow though until he got a cold and it turned green for a couple of days I'm assuming from the mucus.  
    Hopefully it's nothing though. 
  • I've heard and read that green poop is considered fine for EBF. My son was all yellow though until he got a cold and it turned green for a couple of days I'm assuming from the mucus.  
    Hopefully it's nothing though. 
    That could be it she definitely has the sniffles 
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here - yellow seedy to quite green and runny! Poor thing. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • bbrownlee1bbrownlee1 member
    edited February 2016
    @kmo8986 it's so hard when they get sick this little! I was a mess waking up every time he made a peep one night.  
    I hope she feels better soon! 
  • Green may also mean that they are not getting the fattier hind-milk and only the more watery milk. I had to be more persistent with my LO to finish one side before switching to the other if he was still showing hunger cues. Once I did that the poop returned to the yellow I was used to. 
    It would depend if it's once in a while or all the time as to whether this is the issue. When I experienced this with LO, I massaged my breast while he was eating and it helped to get him what he needed. 
  • Here's a great article about the foremilk/ hindmilk imbalance which is kind of a myth. 

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/foremilk-hindmilk-imbalance-myths/

The change in comsistency is probably from
    tbe congestion you mentioned and some green diapers are normal and could simply be from
    you eating lots of green veggies. 
  • I am seeing both yellow and green in my LO (EBF) not frothy though like described for hindmilk imbalance. .. we have a dr appt tomorrow and I am going to ask about it.
  • I was told by lactation that the green poop has to do with baby having a large feeding. I have an oversupply so LO poop is often green from how much she gets. I was told it was normal and not a problem but it freaked me out too!
  • Here's a great article about the foremilk/ hindmilk imbalance which is kind of a myth. 

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/foremilk-hindmilk-imbalance-myths/

The change in comsistency is probably from
    tbe congestion you mentioned and some green diapers are normal and could simply be from
    you eating lots of green veggies. 
    I've read both and I just err on the side of caution. I assume if you pump and your milk separates, you can clearly see the fat content and you're good to go. 
  • I have green sometimes and I EBF.  I've noticed it happens more on days when I have large kale smoothies so I assumed it was related.  I just check to make sure it's not red white or black and if it's not, I don't worry. 
  • Green is ok sometimes like others have said. He cautious if it persist that it isn't mucusy and green a lot. This could be a sign of an allergy.