June 2016 Moms
Options

What to pack for the hospital?

FTM here who would appreciate any advice from moms who've done this before on what things you wish you'd had your first time around, other than the really obvious stuff. Thanks

Re: What to pack for the hospital?

• Options
    I would pack a couple outfits for baby maybe one premie and one newborn size. My DS was almost 6 pounds but the newborn stuff swallowed him whole. In my experience the hospital provided all wipes and diapers. Baby fingernail clippers/ or mittens my DS had very sharp nails and I didn't want him scratching his face. The hopsipal has swaddle blankets so unless you want your own that's really all I needed for the baby. 
    For the mom, my first experience I packed bags of crap for healing down there and didn't use a lick of it because the hospital packed it all. Bring nipple cream if you plan on nursing you'll need it and nursing pads/ nursing bra. Bring a soft warm robe to throw on to cover up when company comes. That was my lifesaver plus I stay cold bring one in a dark color. Bring a comfy outfit to wear home I brought a very loose black maxi dress in case of c-section. And your toiletries for showering and you should be good less is more and trust me you anyone will be willing to go grab you something from Walgreens if you are in need! 

• Options
    I don't pack a lot, I usually take a diaper bad with the basics and two outfits for baby (newborn and 0-3 months)
    In my bag I put:
    1-2 changes of clothes, 1-2 pairs of PJs, makeup and toiletries, toothbrush, socks with non slip bottoms, chap stick (very important), a phone charger, camera, snacks, and slip on shoes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bear14+Bear14+ member
    edited February 2016
    I packed comfy sweatpants for me...a few changes of clothes because you could be there 2 or 3 days (nursing tanks/bras if BF). A few outfits for DH. I went to CVS and got travel toiletries for the stay. Deodorant, toothbrush, shampoo, soap, Chapstick, etc. I brought my blow dryer too because I don't like the way my hair dries! 

The most important thing that I brought ended up being my pillow! I will probably grab two this time because DH was stuck with the crappy pillow at night. iPad/iPhone's & chargers. Quarters for the vending machines, snacks for DH during labor. 

For baby:
    1 NB & 1 0-3 outfit, just in case
    Nipple cream (for you)
    Swaddle blanket for the ride home
    Car seat 

My hospital supplied all post partum supplies & everything I could have possibly needed for LO including clothes and blankets. 

• Options
    My favorite thing I packed last time was one of my own big towels for showering. The hospital towels were so tiny and uncomfortable. It was nice having my own. 
  • Options
    I had a different experience than some because DS went to the NICU.  I was glad I had a nursing bras, tanks, comfy pants, shoes, etc as I had to go back and forth between my room and DS's room.  

I also liked having:
    my laptop and the charger
    makeup/dry shampoo/etc
    shower stuff
    the boppy (nursing and to sit on because it was amazing after a vaginal birth)
    kindle even though I didn't use it much,
    CAMERA!
    multiple NB outfits and baby legs because we were in the NICU a few days and he could wear clothes (some are more limited depending on wires, conditions)
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm a FTM too but I've heard flip flops are smart because they're easy to clean if your water breaks on them and you can also use them as shower sandals if you're not into using public showers in bare feet.
  • Options
    Thanks for all these awesome responses!  Pillows and towels, great ideas. 
  • Options
    Bring a robe. I bought a robe that zips up in the front. It's going to make trips to the bathroom with huge mesh undies less traumatic. Some like nightgowns, I won't go nightgown. ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Third time mom and this is what will be in my bag 

For baby- 
    One nb outfit 
    One 0-3m outfit
    Hat (I like mine more than the stripe one they supply) 
    Pacifier just in case

For me-
    Nursing bra
    A couple tank tops 
    Comfy yoga style pants 
    Leggings
    Flip flops
    Slippers
    Lotion
    Hair ties
    Chapstick
    My own pillow (this is important imo)
    Soft blanket 

Cell phone and charger 
    Laptop and charger
    Camera and lenses
    Snacks
    I will also pack a bag for my H since we will be so far from home

I know my hospital supplies any thing I need for after care of any type of delivery. They also send it all home with you since they can't re-use it. They will supply diapers and any blankets needed in the hospital. They also have shirts, but recommend skin to skin so they encourage you not to clothe baby while there. The supply a robe for mom too. 

I would ask what is avaliable to you when you do a hospital tour so you know what you need to bring for yourself. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    When I had DD a couple of people on the BMB mentioned bringing Depends. Well I did and I loved it! Was great for not having to worry about my sheets and my pjs etc and also held the ice pack nicely! I will be bringing the same again. 

• Options
    For the baby (my 3rd), I am just planning on bringing a cute outfit for him to wear when his sisters come to meet him, plus an outfit for bringing him home. The hospital provides diapers, wipes, blankets, basic clothing, pacifiers, etc.

For me, I am planning on:
    - nursing tanks
    - yoga pants
    - breast pads for leakage
    - nipple cream
    - Chapstick and hair ties
    - snacks
    - travel sized toiletries
    - my own towel and pillow (colors other than white - my friend brought her white towel and pillow-case, and the hospital cleaning staff thought they were hospital-owned, took them to wash, and she never saw them again)
    - phone chargers

• Options
    This is a really informative thread.

Did you guys change right out of the hospital gown after giving birth/skin to skin into your own clothes/PJs? Do you wait a little bit as to not get your own clothes bloody?

• Options

Did you guys change right out of the hospital gown after giving birth/skin to skin into your own clothes/PJs? Do you wait a little bit as to not get your own clothes bloody?
    I waited a bit as they needed access to see how things were going. 

• Options
    Sydvicious08Sydvicious08 member
    edited February 2016
    Ask you hospital what they probide. Apparently, one of our local hospitals quit supplying pacifiers and bottles in an attempt to encourage more breastfeeding and skin to skin time. You also pay for everything you use/take, so depending on insurance type and such,  you might bring your own diapers and wipes too, to save some money. 

I would take a gown, slippers/socks, a few baby gowns  (you might change a lot of diapers and gowns are easy access), baby socks, baby hat, a warm blanket for baby, 6 month size maternity clothes for you, basic toiletries for you and H, phone charger, camera/phone, books/kindle app, granny panties, giant pads/depends. Also, some hospitals offer newborn photos at the hospital, so a cute outfit for baby.
  • Options

I changed into my clothes the next morning after I showered. I had DS around 5pm, so by the time I made it to the room and settled it was 8-9pm and I passed out. 
  • Options
    One thing i am definitely bringing this time is conditioner. My hair was a serious rats nest after 14 hours of labor and the hospital only had shampoo. 

Also everyone told us not to bother with newborn clothes but our daughter was small despite being nearly 2 weeks late. Wish i had a newborn outfit for her to leave the hospital. 

Things i was glad to have: 

- iPad (for music and movies) and charger
    -chapstick
    - robe 
    - extra hair bands 
    - nursing bra
    - maternity yoga pants (this time ill bring a maxi dress since im due in june vs december) 
    - notebook (i took notes at breastfeeding class and tips from nurses - yes, im a nerd) 
    - iphone charger

• Options

I usually stay in the hospital gown until I can get that first shower. With my firstborn, I wound up with an emergency c-section around 10am, and I didn't get to shower until the following morning. With my second, I had a vaginal delivery around 4:30am, and was able to get in the shower around breakfast which was great. It was wonderful to be clean and in my own clothes when people came to visit the baby for the first time.

• Options
    This is my check list from when I was expecting DS two years ago. (Untouched and randomly still on my phone). I've added notes about things I'd do differently. I was induced with DS (36 hour induction, 12 hours labor, c-section, then 4 days before they finally kicked us out) and should have packed a little more clothes for DH but we were there an abnormally long time (Tuesday-Monday) and he probably packed more. He would have had more than enough if it had been a vaginal birth. 

Camera/Charger (I might just use my phone this time because I think it takes better pictures) 

Cellphone

iPad (probably won't bring this) 

iCharger

Snacks (no - hospital had tons of snacks for me and DH in L&D and PP care) 

oil diffuser (would bring this if I was doing a VBAC or first time) 

Champagne (hell no! So many people said I needed to bring a bottle. That sucker stayed in the suitcase for a good month after I gave birth) 

Toothbrush -yes
    Toothpaste -yes
    Hairbrush -yes
    Shampoo -no, hospital had nice soap
    Conditioner -yes
    Body Wash -no 
    Face wash -yes
    Hair dryer - yes 
    Deodorant -yes
    Razor -yes
    Chapstick -yes
    Hair tie -yes
    Foundation/makeup -didn't use this but might still bring it?
    earth mama nipple cream - I preferred lanolin and the hospital provided it. 

1 Light weight blanket for baby (no- hospital ones were fine) 

Boppy pillow (meh - it's pretty hard to nurse with this the first few weeks)

Baby book (brought this so they could stamp feet in the book but they still just did it on a separate piece of paper) 

cotton shorts (will probably wear these there) 

comfy pants (didn't wear these) 

2 nursing tops (didn't wear these. They were too uncomfortable to wear with my c-section incision) 

sweater -yes 

2 underwear (sure but the mesh undies they give you ROCK) 

2 pairs socks (no - they gave me grippy socks) 

nursing dress (yes, will be bringing three this time) 

flip flops (shower) (I don't think I brought these or ended up using them) 

Nursing bra (probably wore it there but didn't use it past getting there) 

Clothes for Baby:
    2 outfits for baby (NB and 0-3 month)

Socks for baby (didn't use these) 

Baby nail clippers and/or nail file (I'll bring this incase LO's nails are long and I feel like trying to trim them. I was/am terrible about trimming DS's nails and he doesn't let me trim them now without screaming bloody murder) 

For DH:
    3 t-shirts
    2 boxers
    shorts
    pj shorts 
    long sleeve shirt/sweater 
    glasses 

--
    I'd suggest bringing shorts/shirt and a dress because you don't know how your body will feel after you've given birth. I had one nursing dress and I wore it every day during recovery. I didn't want to wear a hospital gown and couldn't wear shorts because it was too uncomfortable where it hit on my incision plus my shirts felt too tight (they weren't really tight, they just felt that way) 
    If you're going to breast feed make sure you have a black top! In my experience every other color will get a white milk ring stain if you leak.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My CS was around 5:30pm and I ended up showering the next morning after my doctor came in the check me, probably around 5am. Then I put on normal clothes. I'm pretty sure they had me change into a fresh hospital gown after I got to my recovery room but I pretty much just slept the first 12 hours. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    For Baby:
    *The car seat, with the base installed rear facing (Seriously, I had a friend forget theirs!)
    *1-2 outfits in NB and 0-3 months
    *Mittens, in case nails are long
    *A binkie  (I knew the brand I wanted my babies using was different than what the hospital would provide
    The hospital will provide NB diapers and wipes, so don't worry about those. You'll most likely have enough left to throw in the diaper bag. If you don't, ask for a few for the road. 
    For You:
    *Your own pillow(s)
    *Large, comfy, cotton panties. You'll be using elephant sized maxi pads, so you'll want something that will keep it in place and that you won't mind getting bloody.
    *Night gowns, skip the pants. I didn't have a constant stream like a period, I gushed as my uterus started shrinking down to normal size. I'd have gone through a lot of sweats. I just lifted my nightgown when I got into bed and sat on the absorbent pads that were laid down for me. 
    *Nursing bra/pads (the hospital will provide nipped cream/lanolin)
    *Toiletries
    ***Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, loofah, one of your own towels (the ones provided suck), body lotion, hair brush, toothbrush and toothpaste, and stuff to style your hair and makeup. (Frankly, I didn't style my hair or put on makeup until the day we left, but that's just me. I didn't feel the need to put on airs for visitors. I had just been through hell, they knew it and they didn't mind.)
    *Flip flops or comfy slide-ins. I'm not a socks person, I much prefer my flip flops. But if you do take socks, get some that have grippy stuff on the bottom. 
    *A book or magazines in case nothing on TV interests you and FB is slow. ;)
    For your husband:
    *His pillow(s)
    *Changes of clothes for 3 days
    *Hygiene supplies
    *An entire duffle bag of snacks. The hospital most likely won't feed him like they will you, and while you can order lots at meal time and let him share, it might not be enough. Hospital food is expensive in the cafeteria, so bringing in food is helpful when the munchies hit (they'll probably hit you, too).
    For Labor:
    *iPod
    *Camera
    *Hard candies to help keep your mouth moist
    *Chapstick
    *Unscented massage oil (if you think that you'll use it for relaxation and coping)
    ***This one is totally optional, but I have to suggest it because of personal experience, lol! A Pretty Pusher labor and delivery gown. Lol! I know it sounds ridiculous, the hospital provides you with a gown. I've delivered 3 children  (expecting my 4th) and during my first 2 L&D's I used the hospital gowns. Both times I was ragingly hot. They had the air conditioning up so high in my room that other people were wearing coats! Anyway, at my last L&D my Doula gifted me with a Pretty Pusher at my baby shower. I instantly thought it was ridiculous but thanked her graciously. What a waste of money, right? When I got home I tried it on and I instantly loved it! It was amazingly comfortable, kept my boobs up and in place without a bra, and it was SO CUTE! Most importantly, I was not anywhere close to hot during labor. I was very comfortable and it was never an issue. Google Pretty Pushers. You can find them on Amazon.com for $30-45 depending on style. Best money you'll spend! (I've already ordered mine for this time around! Lol!)

Hope this list helps! 
  • Options
    This is such a helpful thread! Thanks much to all ladies that commented.
  • Options
    Even if you have a good size baby I'd definitely plan for NB clothes. My son was 8.4 and swam in 0-3 at first 
  • Options
    Is anyone planning to cloth diaper in the hospital? We waited until we got home last time, but we actually have newborn pockets this time and I was thinking about bringing a couple of days' supply. Ultimately, I suppose I'll probably leave it up to my husband, since he's the one who will be doing the laundry when we get home.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MynaBird said:
    Is anyone planning to cloth diaper in the hospital? We waited until we got home last time, but we actually have newborn pockets this time and I was thinking about bringing a couple of days' supply. Ultimately, I suppose I'll probably leave it up to my husband, since he's the one who will be doing the laundry when we get home.
    No way I'd cloth diaper in the hospital. Way to much stuff to bring with you and then take home. And I wouldn't want to risk leaving it behind on accident! 
  • Options
    likeabel said:
    MynaBird said:
    No way I'd cloth diaper in the hospital. Way to much stuff to bring with you and then take home. And I wouldn't want to risk leaving it behind on accident! 
    Plus the meconium is gross. 

• Options
    MynaBird said:
    I don't plan on it. I'm not even sure I will do CD for a couple months till we are in a better routine and schedule. We will see how it goes. 

Also, I would like to add to my previous post that I will pack a toothbrush and toothpaste to. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker