December 2015 Moms

Is swaddling over?!

The last two nights my little guy has broken his arms out of his swaddle me! And he wakes up crying from throwing his arms around! He sleeps so good when he is swaddled but I think he is reaching the point where he is going to have to learn to sleep without the swaddle. He was sleeping about 4-6 hours but without the swaddle I can only get 2 before he wakes himself up.. 

Anyone else have any tips on how to transition out of the swaddle? 

Re: Is swaddling over?!

• Um, no. Swaddle+boob= sleepy baby
  • ammnam14ammnam14 member
    edited February 2016
    It ended for us a very long time ago:)

DD still has a startle reflex but refuses to have her arms swaddled. We didn't transition, we just stopped. I have heard great things about sleep slacks, you might want to try that!

Edit...cut me off.
  • Loading the player...
  • @ammnam14 how long did it take for your baby to sleep good without the swaddle? 
  • We've always swaddled with dd's arms out. She hated having her arms constrained. A paci helps us a ton to get her to settle into a better sleep. 

There's a thread about the magic sleep suit here and I just had 2 friends endorse on Facebook. You could check out one of those too.
  • I haven't swaddled since LO was like two weeks old.
  • We just swaddle arms out and DD is much happier. We haven't swaddled arms in since the first couple weeks
  • @ammnam14 how long did it take for your baby to sleep good without the swaddle? 
    She instantly started sleeping better. Daytime naps suck but she'll sleep 8-9 hours at night.
  • Magic sleep suit. 
  • I will swaddle to the bitter end...aka until she starts rolling. She has been trying to break out, and with some success. But she's not ready for life unswaddled. 
  • We started using the Halo swaddle sleep sack at about 3 weeks old with arms out. Now DS is almost 10 weeks old and he just sleeps in the sleep sack 
  • Sometimes we do one arm in and one out of the Swaddle Me. DS will work his arms out if we swaddle both. It's kind of funny watching him on the monitor wiggle his way out! I will try to wait until he completely loses the Moro Reflex before we quit swaddling.
  • So when olive outgrew receiving blanket swaddles (she was really small) we put her in Aden & Anais muslin swaddles. They were great, stretchy etc and she stayed swaddled in those really well. But she grew too strong for them and three days ago, they became mine (no, they're super cute, gonna wear them as scarves etc..)

We actually transitioned Olive to a halo sleepsack. Sometimes i will swaddle her right arm in (she likes to chew on the left hand) and sometimes i'll keep both arms free. She's transitioned so well to that - very proud of her. 

Could you do something like this? Or the little sleeping sacks with the long arms maybe? It'll give that coziness swaddled babies love so much but can't be broken out of as it's a zip up garment.
  • I have never used a swaddle-me, but have used a regular receiving blanket to swaddle since day one. DS is now 10 weeks old and does break free after 4-5 hours of sleep at night, but he would only sleep for 20 min without it due to an extreme startle reflex. If I don't, it looks like he feels like he is falling constantly! I feel so bad I make sure I tuck his arms in nice and tight. :)
  • We use sleep sacks.  
  • I have tried a sleep sack but that wasn't great. Our problem is his wild hands moving all over the place that wake him up.. I'm going to just swaddle his lower half tonight.. I guess it's better we are going through the learning to sleep without swaddling his arms before I go back to work...

wish us luck! I pray I'm not up every two hours like last night!! On top of this shenanigans he had his two month shots today! 
  • We use a sleep sack because LO hates being restrained...always has.  It's also good for their little sensory systems to have their hands free and it can sometimes help them self soothe...but if the startle reflex is so strong it wakes them and they can't settle right after...I'd stick with the swaddle.  My LO has never had a startle that has woken her from her sleep (usually her arms go up and then slowly fall back down--my husband thinks it's the cutest!) my LC also said that if they break out of the swaddle it's no big deal...so maybe keep trying to swaddle or try a different one (the halo one is like a straight jacket) 
  • When DD was a baby, we slowly transitioned her out of the swaddle by eliminating it one nap at a time starting at 4 months. But we'd still swaddle her at night. You couldn't pry my hands off that swaddle! But we eventually completely transitioned her out into a sleep sack by 6 months. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am using a sleep sack that has the feature of tucking baby's arms in or out as if being swaddled. I am paranoid about SIDS so I always swaddle DD up in the sleep sack and place her in her crib. Recently she has been wanting her arms out.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• Well I ordered a halo swaddle and the swaddle me wrapsack. Our swaddling days can't be over.. He was up every hour!!! Coffee will have to get me through today! And hopefully a nap... 
  • Well I ordered a halo swaddle and the swaddle me wrapsack. Our swaddling days can't be over.. He was up every hour!!! Coffee will have to get me through today! And hopefully a nap... 
    This.

This is me....
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• Aden and anais easy swaddle. DD loves it. And can break one snap but that's the most she can do.
  • I thought DD hated being swaddled because she would scream so after 4 weeks I stopped. We then had 4 weeks of terrible sleep so I tried again and realized she calms down after a few minutes and then will sleep so much better. 
    We use halo sleep sack swaddles sometimes but mostly regular blankets. 
    I prefer to use regular blankets in the evening because we bedshare so it's easier to unswaddle without waking her. 
  • We are still doing great with the Miracle Blanket.  It is my favorite swaddle.  After swaddling, if sleep still isn't going well, try the Merlin Magic Sleep Suit.  It is expensive, but worth it a million times over.  The padding muffled their startle reflex.  We used it for both of our older kids and it was a godsend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • My baby is 4 months old (I'm from N15) and we use the Halo sleep sack at nights and swaddle blankets during the day. He hadn't started rolling yet, but I'll stop swaddling then. I kinda dread when I have to stop swaddling because he will not sleep without it lol so that'll be a hot mess! I'm surprised he can even stay in them though. He's 20 pounds and in the 99th percentile so he's pretty big lol