October 2016 Moms

Constipated ☹

I think I'm so constipated that it's giving me really bad cramps. Has anyone found anything to help with everyday constipation!? I have been taking a stool softener but no luck so far.  

Re: Constipated ☹

• Keep on the stool softener... I take it in the morning and again at night and make sure you're keeping up on your water! Sorry I don't have any better advice... last pregnancy I went almost TWO WEEKS with no poop. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Same!!! I've been taking Zofran so it's especially bad. Are you taking Colace? I stopped for a couple days because I felt so sick and I didn't want to take any additional meds but I'm going to start up again. I've also heard prunes and apricots can help but haven't tried. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • cd92007 said:
    Same!!! I've been taking Zofran so it's especially bad. Are you taking Colace? I stopped for a couple days because I felt so sick and I didn't want to take any additional meds but I'm going to start up again. I've also heard prunes and apricots can help but haven't tried. 
    Yes. And I'm taking zofran too. That stuff really backs you up
  • Colace will probably become your close friend during the next 8-9ish months.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• FemShepFemShep member
    edited February 2016
    This just hit me today.  Try diluted prune juice and ripe bananas.  Good luck!

(ETA to specify ripe bananas)
  • FemShep said:
    This just hit me today.  Try diluted prune juice and bananas.  Good luck!
    Bananas will make you more constipated. 
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • Good luck!   I've been taking 1 colace a day, adding extra water, prunes, and eating fiber foods but no luck.  Heck, I even ate some notoriously bad for my digestion hot wings today hoping.  But alas!  No luck.

Anyone know if we're allowed to take more than 1 colace a day?  Forgot to ask the nurse on Tues. and I'd rather not wait until Monday to find the answer  ;)

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I eat an awesome Fiber bar daily from Melaleuca.com. It's like a granola bar and it's really tasty! They have cranberry and Oatmeal Raisin. This has been helping a LOT, but I've also been forcing myself to drink tons more water.
    Mommy to Gabriel (12) and Isaiah (10) and Step-Mommy to Danely (17), Diego (9) and Leo (4). Trained doula going for certification!
    5 losses (2002-6 wks, 2004-9 wks, 2005-11 wks, 2015-7 wks & 5/27/2016-19 wks) 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one. Cramps and gas from it are so bad today. I'll definitely be making a trip to the pharmacy tonight to get something and get juice. 
    Me: 31  SO: 34
    TTC since January 1, 2015.  Together we have three boys who are 4 (mine), 7 (his) and 10 (his).
    CP (July 2015) and M/C @ 5w (Feb. 2016)
    DX Unexplained Secondary Infertility
    3 rounds of Clomid - BFNs  (Nov/Dec '15, May '16)
    2 IUIs - BFNs (May & June '17)
    IVF August 2017 - BFP!!  First Beta - 365

• walk also...even if its just pacing around the house.
  • FemShep said:
    Nope.  Green bananas make you constipated (and are just gross); ripe bananas help get things moving.  
  • I've been doing colace and fiber chews...today has 1/4 cup strong coffee and that finally did the trick!
    1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
    IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
    IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
    March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!
  • Avocado. I shit you not. Pun absolutely intended. 
    TTGP August Siggy Challenge: Best Movie Insults
    AbominationStupid head

Lilo and Stitch (2002)     
  • FemShep said:
    FemShep said:
    Nope.  Green bananas make you constipated (and are just gross); ripe bananas help get things moving.  
    That's interesting. My gastro doctor had me eat bananas when my stomach was acting a fool so that they would stop me up. 
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • Acupuncture and tons and tons of water did wonders for mine.  I was already eating a shit ton of fiber, and I felt like that just made it worse (gassy but still stuck in there). 
  • FemShep said:
    FemShep said:
    That's interesting. My gastro doctor had me eat bananas when my stomach was acting a fool so that they would stop me up. 
    Bananas are part of the BRAT diet (bananas rice applesauce toast tea) diet, which is often recommended for recovering from diarrhea because the fiber helps bind stools (and these foods are easy to digest).  Fiber is the interesting conundrum of constipation; you need fiber to keep things moving (which is why stuff like Metamucil is recommended to avoid constipation) but too much fiber or the wrong ratio of soluble/insoluble fiber can throw everything off. That's one reason why it's so important to drink lots of water-if you up your fiber intake but not your water, you're increasing your chances of getting constipated. 

(I have Crohns Disease and usually go between diarrhea and constipation.  Fun!)
  • @FemShep high five, poop problems friend! I had horrific IBS, nothing as bad as chrons. Your poor colon:( Is pregnancy being kind to you?
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • I much prefer MiraLax to Colace as a stool softener. Also, for fruits, try apricots, prunes, raisins, prune juice, apples and pears as they are loaded with soluble fiber that will get things moving. Bananas tend to be very binding so avoid those. Try a good probiotic (such as Pearls) twice daily and drink a lot of water (not soda/tea/juice, but real water).
    BabyGaga
  • @FemShep high five, poop problems friend! I had horrific IBS, nothing as bad as chrons. Your poor colon:( Is pregnancy being kind to you?
    Oh man!  We can exchange poop horror stories. :)  I actually had part of my colon removed back in 2009, and that made a big difference. So far, nothing too bad; I was pooping regularly (which was amazing) until two days ago, and I had to break out the prune juice last night. How are you feeling?  
  • Kiwis really helped me.

Also, a squatty potty or a footstool made a world of difference. It makes everything so much easier.
  • I've just started using a footstool as a squatty potty and is fantastic! 

• Tablespoon of chia seeds daily!   I make a pudding with almond milk.  Helps keep things moving without having to resort to OTC items.  (Not knocking them, just prefer to keep it as natural as possible...but sometimes you definitely need an OTC intervention!) 

Pooping with a  footstool (Squaltty potty)  helps a lot too!  
  • I ate oatmeal the past few days for breakfast and....

Victory!!!
    please don't take this the wrong way but....YOU SUCK!!!!!!  my body wants to poop and its ready but nothing comes out.
  • CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited February 2016
    I eat a fiber bar for breakfast every morning and two bananas a day and it keeps me moving. Bananas are actually a hot AND cold food, meaning they can either make you go or stop you up. They typically do whatever is opposite of what you've got going on at the time. It's pretty awesome, actually. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • warm prune juice in the microwave and add some apple juice..does the trick for me every time. 
  • @FemSheep and @AverageAsh I have Crohn's disease as well! Since I was 12. I was very scared of constipation so a couple weeks ago I ate nothing but salad all day long (with whole walnuts) and That was a baaaaaaaad idea. So I am taking it easy. Hope you guys are as well! 
  • MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited February 2016
    I had the WORST cramping last night from gas/constipation. It was the first time the not going for a few days thing really made me feel awful. Usually I just feel bloated if it's been a while but holy moly. I was almost whimpering in pain. 

The usinf a stool thing totally helped and the pain went away immediately. So grateful for this thread or I'd probably be in the ER by now. 

Edited because TB posted in the middle of typing. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Trying stool softener (colace) but hasnt really worked that well so far- trying to increase my fiber intake. Constipation is horrible! 
  • Anyone have any remedies for relieving gas? Anything OTC that is ok? 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @MRSCORKER I was wondering the same thing....as well as is there anything safe you can take for heartburn because that has kicked up lately and wowza so not fun!

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• ejmo68 said:
    @MRSCORKER I was wondering the same thing....as well as is there anything safe you can take for heartburn because that has kicked up lately and wowza so not fun!
    Tums has worked so far for me with the heartburn but these gas cramps are no joke!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• MRSCORKER said:
    Anyone have any remedies for relieving gas? Anything OTC that is ok? 
    I've been struggling with this for almost two week and I have complete empathy for you! Mine hits about 3-4 hours after I eat and I feel like I'm gonna die for about an hour or two. I turn pale, get clammy & just whimper helplessly. It's horrible! I called by OB again this afternoon about it she suggested that I try to take Gas-X or Beano BEFORE I eat. Haven't tried that yet. Also said I can take up to two Colace a day. I've only been taking one, and it's helped some, but I think two might actually do the trick. Going to try this tonight!

Also, mine usually kind of goes from my abdomen to lower back, and last night DH rubbed my lower back while I was in the throes of misery and I think it helped. Maybe just got things moving, not sure? But either way I'll take a back rub any day :)

Good luck to you, and I hope we all get relief soon!
  • Kaessi said:
    MRSCORKER said:
    I've been struggling with this for almost two week and I have complete empathy for you! Mine hits about 3-4 hours after I eat and I feel like I'm gonna die for about an hour or two. I turn pale, get clammy & just whimper helplessly. It's horrible! I called by OB again this afternoon about it she suggested that I try to take Gas-X or Beano BEFORE I eat. Haven't tried that yet. Also said I can take up to two Colace a day. I've only been taking one, and it's helped some, but I think two might actually do the trick. Going to try this tonight!

Also, mine usually kind of goes from my abdomen to lower back, and last night DH rubbed my lower back while I was in the throes of misery and I think it helped. Maybe just got things moving, not sure? But either way I'll take a back rub any day :)

Yes! I feel it in my lower back too. So miserable. I'm just curled in the fetal position and don't see myself moving anytime soon. Just called DH to tell him to bring gas-x home! FX it does the trick!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• MRSCORKER said:
    Kaessi said:
    MRSCORKER said:

Yes! I feel it in my lower back too. So miserable. I'm just curled in the fetal position and don't see myself moving anytime soon. Just called DH to tell him to bring gas-x home! FX it does the trick!
    I'm so sorry, I know you're miserable! FX it goes away soon! 
  • @OrangeEv Hugs!  Is this your first pregnancy?  With DD1, my symptoms got worse and I needed to take prednisone in the first trimester, but baby was fine. With DD2, except for occasional constipation, I felt great. I learned to love prune juice. :) I also found a walk to be very helpful in getting things moving.