March 2016 Moms

STMs- hospital bag redo

I thought it would be fun to share what those of us who've already gone through this are adding to the hospital bag this time...and what we're ditching!  I'll start...

Adding: 
1. Snacks
2. Chapstick and hand lotion- that hospital air is dry!
3.  A folder to keep the crapload of paperwork you have to keep.  Social security information, hospital picture order forms, I can't even remember everything they gave us.

Ditching:
1. Towels- I got blood all over them.  The hospital towels might feel like sandpaper, but I feel better about ruining theirs than mine.
2.  Underwear haha.  Those mesh panties are Aaaamazing
3.  Anything for the baby, really, other than outfits for pictures and taking home. Not even a diaper bag!  The hospital provided wipes, diapers, onesies, even hats, etc.

Anniversary

Re: STMs- hospital bag redo

• I didn't bring enough snacks for DH last time and also will bring change for the vending machine for when he gets hungry or thirsty late at night and the cafe is closed. Pretty much everything you need for yourself and baby you can get there so it's not a huge deal if you forget it. DH isn't the best packer so I will probably double check his bag and add some things to keep him entertained and extra clothes :) Also packing big brother activities and snacks for when they visit. 

• Awesome idea...  
    Adding:
    1. notebook, pens
    2. a book
    3. a few adorable newborn outfits/hats/mittens... 

Ditching:
    1. iPod speakers/hypnobirthing sound track
    2. yoga ball
    3. bathrobe

Keeping: Boppy pillow
  • Loading the player...
  • There's already a pinned thread on this topic.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Yep, saw it in the long list of threads I regularly ignore (thanks mostly to TB clutter) not long after I posted it.  Oh well, still fun to see a condensed list of changes!  

Anniversary

• @J234 what makes you want to ditch your yoga ball? I was just saying to DH I wanted to bring it last night and he was trying to talk me out of it because it's one more thing to remember lol. I have been bouncing on it for a few days and I wish I had been doing it for weeks, it relieves my back pain better than anything else I've tried. When you were in the hospital did you just find you didn't use it? It would be the most awkward thing to bring so I'm just curious if I should skip it too!
  • @J234 what makes you want to ditch your yoga ball? I was just saying to DH I wanted to bring it last night and he was trying to talk me out of it because it's one more thing to remember lol. I have been bouncing on it for a few days and I wish I had been doing it for weeks, it relieves my back pain better than anything else I've tried. When you were in the hospital did you just find you didn't use it? It would be the most awkward thing to bring so I'm just curious if I should skip it too!

Elle - ask your OB or call L&D and ask them if they have the peanut balls at the hospital. Most do, and they do the same thing as the yoga ball without you having to lug it in. I can only assume the OP doesn't need it this time because the hospital actually has it. (BC I agree with you - very helpful to sit on rather than lay in bed.)

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

• I would ditch the Boppy pillow and massive amounts of clothing for me and LO. This time I'm seriously paring it down to going home clothes for both of us and snacks for me. Camera and iPad for electronics.

Between gifts that people brought to the hospital, flowers, and the stuff we didn't use it just felt like so much to unpack when we got home. i also lived in mesh undies and a pair of sweats/sweatshirt when I was there - absolutely no need for robe, matching pj set, etc. which I'm sure I packed b/c they were on all of the "you need this!" lists. 
  • @elledriver88 We never got to use it.  By the time I went to the hospital, things were so ramped up that we were past that stage.  The hospital I'm going to this time has one available and a "peanut," but I'm having a c-section this time.  
  • Thanks for the tip, I spoke with my OBs nurse today and I thought I would ask her, she told me they do have them available at the hospital! I'm glad we can avoid lugging ours back and forth :)
  • ceds07 said:
    I would ditch the Boppy pillow and massive amounts of clothing for me and LO. This time I'm seriously paring it down to going home clothes for both of us and snacks for me. Camera and iPad for electronics.

Between gifts that people brought to the hospital, flowers, and the stuff we didn't use it just felt like so much to unpack when we got home. i also lived in mesh undies and a pair of sweats/sweatshirt when I was there - absolutely no need for robe, matching pj set, etc. which I'm sure I packed b/c they were on all of the "you need this!" lists. 
    this is me too - we didn't even have visitors last two times but a few people sent stuff, and then we also "took the room" with us (all the mama/baby stuff that they give you (sposies and wipes, receiving blanket, bulb syringe, baby shampoo, all the potpartum care stuff - pads, tucks, dermaplast, peri bottle, ice packs, sitz bath, etc). 

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • FTM so this information helps.  We took the hospital tour last Sunday and the nurse literally told us just to bring our medical card, going home clothes for mom and baby, a car seat and camera/electronics wanted, so that's what I'm planning on taking, plus spare change for vending machines.
  • Our hospital tour last week said to 'pack like you're going away for the weekend' including all toiletries (except hairdryer).  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our hospital tour last week said to 'pack like you're going away for the weekend' including all toiletries (except hairdryer).  
    Yes, I make sure I bring my own shampoo, face wash, moisturizer, etc. I don't know if they supply anything and if they do, I'm pretty sure it won't be good quality. You're definitely going to want to take a shower before you leave.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Not a STM but just got out of the hospital with my babe. One thing we brought was cash, not just spare change for vending machines. My husband needed cash to keep replenishing the parking every 24 hours and also needed quite a bit for food as we were there 3 days. It was worth stopping at the bank and packing the money in the hospital bag, the one ATM we saw at the hospital would have charged us a banking fee.