September 2015 Moms
Options

Started solids....feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

Tonight we started LO with solids (6 months old) and we started with avocado. I used breastmilk to thin it to a liquid and gave him little spoonfuls until he showed signs of being finished. Now I don't know what the process is. Should I have heated up the avocado first then add breast milk that was warmed? Do I not need to heat up the veggies Bc the breast milk is warmed up? How much veggie do you use before adding the breastmilk?  Can anyone kind of like throw me some instructions ha I know i will get on a good groove sooner or later but just need a little direction. 

Re: Started solids....feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

• Options
    I haven't offered avocado but what I do is add enough breastmilk to create a smooth consistency. If I've just pumped and the milk is warm I don't heat it up but if the milk is coming out of the fridge I mix it and then warm the entire mixture up in the microwave (ours is about 7secs) until it's room temp or just slightly warmer. My little guy only eats about 2big tablespoons at a sitting so I measure those out first then add the milk like I mentioned earlier. 
  • Options
    I have only done avocados, fresh green beans, butternut squash and sweet potatoes so far. And then put everything into silicone containers, about 2-3 tbs in each serving, in thinned.  With avocados, i throw it in the food processor and then add a little cold pumped breast milk when done. Everything else goes in my baby brezza that streams and purees it,breast milk added when getting ready to serve it. If I pull the food out of the fridge, I don't heat it at all and he takes it just fine as is. If it's from the freezer, I just let it thaw in the fridge. But he also take cold milk straight from the fridge do not sure if a pickier baby would want anything heated up or not. Im just kinda of figuring things out as I go. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So when you all started did you feed your LO one "meal" every day? 
  • Options
    @ABombard12 yeah, it's pretty normal to start at one "meal" per day, at dinnertime-ish or later in the evening.  There really isn't a perfectly right or wrong way to do it.  I've found that room temp works fine, no need to heat anything up unless it's been in the fridge or something.  We also usually start out with the food very, very liquidy (mostly breastmilk, formula, or water, and add a little bit of mushed-up food).

It usually doesn't seem like it's going well the first several times you try it.  Eventually your little one will get into it.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    We do in the morning before the sitter and then she does a "meal" around lunchtime. I read that you want to do it early in the day to be able to watch for a reaction. To late in the day and the reaction could be when they are asleep. And the solids don't replace any milk/formula so you give them either well before or way after a normal feeding. So we give them about an hour afterwards. 
  • Options

Last night went pretty well. At first he didn't get it and then after a couple spoon fulls got the hang of it.  Feel like he maybe had about 2 tablespoons worth (solids that made thinned with breast milk).  Now I made the avocado and have it in the little baby bullet containers in the fridge to try it for a couple days... I put in like about a tablespoon or so worth in each one... then I plan on thinning it out to like breast milk consistency with breast milk before I give it to him... I can give him the whole amount right? or part of me wants to just kind of give him it until he shows me he doesn't want anymore (i.e. fussing, losing interest or turning his head). 

Guess I just need to really start "going with the flow" and just kind of taking it one step at a time realizing there isn't a wrong way... just hard ha So thank you ladies for your input! Its great to have a place to go and bounce ideas off of and be reassured we are all kind of just winging it and we all make it!

• Options
    We were encouraged to just spoon some out on a tray and let baby play with it. Maybe he'll stick his fingers in his mouth, maybe not. At this age its all about trying something new, not about actually eating. We've done apple, avocado, carrot, and pear so far. He hated the first three but last night loved the pear. I was stirring it around on the tray with a spoon and kept grabbing my hand and pulling the spoon into his mouth.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Options
    @lizlann that's a great idea. I may try that tonight too let him feel the texture etc.  The texture last night was more on the watery/breast milk consistency and I think I was just worried ha I am going to try to make it with less milk to keep it a little more mushy instead of runny.