November 2015 Moms

Overnight diapers

I know another mom posted about leaking through diapers at nighttime, but I was wondering what brand of diaper everyone prefers for nighttime. LO has leaked a couple of times in size one Pampers Baby Dry, but he's also just over 12 lbs and the size limit is 14 lbs, so it may just be time to size up, at least for overnight. However, if there is a better brand for overnight, I'd love to hear about it! Tonight I'm trying Huggies Snug and Dry in size one, so we'll see how that goes.

Re: Overnight diapers

• I use pampers swaddlers step 1 and have never had any issues with leaks. Good luck!
  • LO is in size 1 and I've only tried Pampers and Luvs in this size. So far he's leaked in both but I think that's more user error. I change him on my bed which he kind of sinks into the memory foam.
  • Loading the player...
  • LO is in size 1 and I've only tried Pampers and Luvs in this size. So far he's leaked in both but I think that's more user error. I change him on my bed which he kind of sinks into the memory foam.

I realized that I was not making the diapers tight enough for a while. As a FTM, I wasn't aware I was supposed to be trying to make the tabs meet...I figured that was way too tight! Now I try to make them tight, but I'm still having leak problems. He just soaked up a size one Swaddler in just over two hours, so now I'm leaning toward needing to size up. I can't believe my almost 7 week old will already be in size twos! Tears!

• I was doing the same thing! Thought I was making them tight but they were loose. FTM worry is an SOB! I cried when he went to size 1, I'm going to be a mess when he hits size 2!
  • We upped DS to size 2's at 12 1/2 lbs. He had few diapers that nearly leaked out the back so we upped the size to avoid messes.
  • With DS we always had to go up to the next size as soon as he hit the minimum weight for the new size or we had leaks and blow outs all the time. We used Pampers baby dry.
    This LO is a magic baby that yet to have one leak or blow out. (I just jinxed it and she is going to have a massive blow out tonigjt.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Reviving this thread now that more of our LOs may be STTN. Hudson is STILL leaking at night. He is in the same diaper for about 11 hours. The leaks actually don't even seem to wake or bother him, but I hate him having to lie in that mess, AND I won't have time to change his sheets every morning once I go back to work on Monday. Does anyone have an overnight diaper that they love? We just moved to size 3s (Hudson is prob 17-18 lbs), so sizing up won't help. I've also tried putting two diapers on him, and that's not helping. We use Pampers Baby Dry or Huggies Snug and Dry. I'm considering both Huggies Overnights and Pampers Baby Dry Extra Protection, but I can only find the giant packs and don't want to invest in something that may still not work. 
  • 11 hours is a LONG time to expect a diaper to hold up...
  • Our toddler has usually sleeps 11 hours overnight and does not pee thru his diapers, he used to sleep 12 to 13 hours in the same diaper when he wad about a year.  We do have to move him up to the next size as soon as he hits the minimum or he leaks.

Maybe try a size 4 over the size 3, instead of using two the same size. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • queenwog said:
    11 hours is a LONG time to expect a diaper to hold up...
    Maybe, but when babies or toddlers STTN, there should be a solution to leaky diapers. Many older babies/toddlers will sleep even longer than 11 hrs at night. 

• Our toddler has usually sleeps 11 hours overnight and does not pee thru his diapers, he used to sleep 12 to 13 hours in the same diaper when he wad about a year.  We do have to move him up to the next size as soon as he hits the minimum or he leaks.

Maybe try a size 4 over the size 3, instead of using two the same size. 
    Oooh, I like that idea...a larger one over the one his size. May have to try that...thanks! 
  • If you can't find small packs and end up having the buy a big box you can sell your unopened packs at a consignment store. We ended up not using almost an entire box of newborn diapers. The consignment store told me they will buy the other two packs I have that we never used. You won't get retail price for them but better than nothing! 
  • @SJFTCA Huggies Overnights have worked great for us ... My daughter will sleep 11-12 hours as well and I've never had an issue with them! :smile: 

I was using Pampers Baby Dry through the night but once she was almost out of size 2 they werent absorbent enough. 
  • So I've got a question on overnight potty habits. Clearly it seems to be pretty normal to soak up thoroughly or even soak through a diaper for babies sleeping through the night. But my son is very much the opposite. He sleeps 11-12 hours and has almost no pee in his diaper in the morning. He's not dehydrated and has tons of wets and poopies, but he just really doesn't go at night. Is this super abnormal? Anyone else's baby do the same thing?
  • Maybe try getting a reuseable diaper cover to put over disposable diapers?  We use thirsties covers and I am always impressed how well they hold in poop.  The only poop blowout she's ever had was in a disposable.  
  • kmd91 said:
    So I've got a question on overnight potty habits. Clearly it seems to be pretty normal to soak up thoroughly or even soak through a diaper for babies sleeping through the night. But my son is very much the opposite. He sleeps 11-12 hours and has almost no pee in his diaper in the morning. He's not dehydrated and has tons of wets and poopies, but he just really doesn't go at night. Is this super abnormal? Anyone else's baby do the same thing?
    My LO does this too. She sleeps around 12 hours every night and then has a huge pee when she's been up for 10 minutes or so. Plenty of wet diapers through the day, her morning one is jusr the heaviest/most soaked, which makes sense. (No leaks though.) Guess our babies don't like lying around in wet diapers so they hold it!
  • mrsaragonmrsaragon member
    edited February 2016
    My LO does tend to pee through diapers from just one pee at night, even during the day. He hates being wet so I'm constantly changing his diapers, which is fine by me. I'd rather him not get a rash. And I'd prefer to not change his outfits once a night. I've sized up too, pointed it down, you name it. Doesn't really help. He just pees a lot lol. BUT Honest Company just came out with overnight diapers that start at a size 3. So I plan on giving those a try when he grows into them so he's not soaking through an outfit each time. Maybe give those a try? 

edited because getting sentences from my brain to here is hard this morning. 
  • My LO always leaks through LUVs and Pampers, we use Huggies little snugglers and she has never leaked at night...and she goes about 10-11 hours at night
  • Pampers swaddlers haven't leaked once overnight for us. 
  • SJFTCA said:
    LO is in size 1 and I've only tried Pampers and Luvs in this size. So far he's leaked in both but I think that's more user error. I change him on my bed which he kind of sinks into the memory foam.
    I realized that I was not making the diapers tight enough for a while. As a FTM, I wasn't aware I was supposed to be trying to make the tabs meet...I figured that was way too tight! Now I try to make them tight, but I'm still having leak problems. He just soaked up a size one Swaddler in just over two hours, so now I'm leaning toward needing to size up. I can't believe my almost 7 week old will already be in size twos! Tears!
    Wow big boy. My girl is 16 weeks and 1 is still a little big on her!! Lol
  • I am reviving this thread....
    LO wore Huggies Overnites with no issues...for a while.  We got 2 boxes of size 3 and by the end of box #2, he started leaking.  We tried Honest Company size 4 and Huggies Overnites size 4 and he's still leaking.  LO is about 20 lbs, so technically, he should be in size 3.  We just bought diaper boosters and will give them a try. 
    Do you ladies recommend any other brands?  LO sleeps 11 to 12 hours at night.  He gets a diaper change right before he falls asleep. 

• LimieLimie member
    My son is 20 lbs and we use huggies overnights size 5. He goes to sleep at 7. I change him around 11 when I go to sleep.  And then he last until 7 am.  I can't really imagine a diaper lasting 11 hours. 
  • My LO is 17lbs, we use a size 4 pampers stay dry from about 7p to 6a, two nursing sessions per night, no leaks.  But it's pretty much at its limit, it'll leak or blow out if kiddo isn't changed as soon as she gets up.  I don't remember where I heard it, but you're supposed to size up for overnights, so if your LO wears size 3 normally, use size 4 overnights.
  • My LO is 16 pounds and we use Pampers Stay Dry size 3. She's in a size 3 in her regular diapers as well, just due to her shape. She only ever leaks at night if I forget to pull out the ruffles or if she's squirming and I don't realize I haven't pulled the diaper as high as it can go. I do change her once during the night and her diaper is still VERY full in the morning. I agree with PP to try sizing up.
  • wimamaof2wimamaof2 member
    edited June 2016
    We are trying the booster diaper pads tonight.  We're looking around for new brands in the next size up.

Ok, I've had it with Huggies.  I was about to go to bed and went to check in DS and he was wet again!  The diaper booster pads are a joke.  The pads and diaper were full.  DS was asleep for 3.5 hours.  He got a diaper, wardrobe change and new sheets...oh and he's fully awake.
     I will be buying Pampers Swaddlers size 5.

Thank you ladies for your suggestions.

Edit to add more.
  • We also use the pampers extra dry and size up. We have had no leaks and LO sleeps from 7pm-6am
  • I use the Honest Co overnight diapers and haven't had a problem.  She's 18lbs and 28in and we use a size 3.  She doesn't need a change overnight.  All kids are different though and it sounds like your LO has an extremely efficient digestive system.  :smile:
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• @lialetellier that's a shame to hear about Huggies.  I was about to order some more swaddlers off amazon, and the reviews indictate that they changed to a new style that really sucks, I was thinking of trying Huggies since they're so easy to find in stores.  Guess I'll have to look elsewhere....
  • My son is also 20 lbs (well, as of a month ago, so he's probably porked up a bit since then) and is in size 3. He sleeps 11-12 hours at night and we've never had a leak using Pampers Swaddlers. In the morning, his diaper weighs about 40 lbs, but I've been very impressed with the lack of leaks! 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• @lialetellier that's a shame to hear about Huggies.  I was about to order some more swaddlers off amazon, and the reviews indictate that they changed to a new style that really sucks, I was thinking of trying Huggies since they're so easy to find in stores.  Guess I'll have to look elsewhere....
    You may want to give Huggies a try.  It did not work for us, but they may work for you.

• Update-  were on night #2 with Pampers Swaddlers size 5 and so far, there are no leaks!! :)

Also, Target has a coupon (expires today) that if you buy  $100 worth of formula and diapers, you get a $25.00 Target gift card. 
  • Diapers are like jeans or styles of underwear.  Some just fit better on different shaped bums and you just need to try a few brands until you know what works best for your individual child.  What worked for big brother or sister may not work for this LO.  Your bff's kid might have a different butt shape than your child so the diapers she raves about are horrible for you little one.  Unfortunately, it's trial and error.  May the odds be ever in your favor. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Target has an n overnight diaper, and we've been using those. No problems with leaking since we put him in those at night!