June 2016 Moms
Options

Ack! Horror flick baby name?!

Hi Ladies! I need your opinions on our baby name. DH and I are having a hard time agreeing on any thing. Its been such a struggle, and so far, the only name we have compromised on is Emily Rose; after my grandma and my great grandma. I did a quick a google search and discovered that there is a horror movie with the same name – about an exorcism! Do you think its okay to use this name? I don’t want people to think we named our daughter after a scary movie character, and I don’t want kids to make fun of her for this when she’s school aged. Maybe the movie will be old enough by then and kids won’t even really know about it? What do you all think? Should we keep looking for a new name? Any input would be greatly appreciated - I am really stressing out over this...  

Re: Ack! Horror flick baby name?!

• Options
    That was my girl name too! We are having a boy so it doesn't matter now. But I never had anyone comment about the exorcism. The only comment I got was from my sister that it sounded like a little old lady name. Lol. So I wouldn't worry too much. 

Also, like pp said, check out the name thread. You'll probably get more replies there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh no! I only vaguely remember that movie and wouldn't have thought of that when I saw the name.  I think you are fine to go with it.  It's beautiful! 
  • Options
    She probably would just go by Emily so I don't think kids would make the connection... And probably if they did, it probably wouldn't be til she's in high school.  

I know how you feel though...I like Eleanor May, which short could be "Ellie may" like from the Beverly hillbillies.  But I think the show is so old, maybe kids won't know.  If they do at least she was very sweet and pretty 
  • Options
    I wouldn't have made the connection at all, but I also don't watch horror films. Emily Rose is a beautiful name! Like PP said above, she will likely only use her first name most of the time so it shouldn't be an issue. 
  • Options
    Agreed that it's totally fine. Middle names rarely come up anyway, and that movie wasn't a huge hit or anything so I don't think it'll be well known by her peers. Also I'm biased towards the name Emily because it's my name :) and Rose is beautiful.
  • Options
    She probably would just go by Emily so I don't think kids would make the connection... And probably if they did, it probably wouldn't be til she's in high school.  

I know how you feel though...I like Eleanor May, which short could be "Ellie may" like from the Beverly hillbillies.  But I think the show is so old, maybe kids won't know.  If they do at least she was very sweet and pretty 
    My SIL just named her baby Eleanor Mae and my first thought was Ellie May. Not many others noticed it though and you are right, very few kids now a days would know the reference.
  • Options
    I've seen the movie multiple times and didn't make the connection.  Go for it, it's a cute name... And if it helps, it was not a terrible movie, for being a horror flick.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just so you know, that is not just a horror film. It's loosly based on a true story. It's not really what I would classify as horror, it's about a girl who died because she didn't receive medical care and the state pressed charges against the priest who performed her exorcism as being at fault for her death. The movie is "creepy" but it's about the trial of said priest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcism_of_Emily_Rose

I honestly wouldn't worry about this at all. Especially by the time she is older most people will not even know of this movie. Plus unless you call her by her full name all the time most people won't even know her name is Emily Rose. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    I didn't make the connection either! It's a pretty name
  • Options
    That movie was terrible! And that's OK. A lot of horror movie names are common. I think the reason for that is to make it like a "it could be anybody or happen to anybody"