October 2016 Moms

Hair color?

cmjaureguicmjauregui member
edited February 2016 in October 2016 Moms
very conflicting information, what have you heard?

Re: Hair color?

• My OB told me yesterday that it's recommended to hold off on coloring your hair until after the first trimester. After that, it's fairly safe, but she said if you want to be extra cautious just stick to highlights. 
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• I was told it was fine by my doctor. They said if I was still concerned to not get hair bleached and not to saturate the scalp.   I just held off as long as i could.   I've waited since November and am finally going next week when I'll be 9w2d. Cannot wait to get the silver glitter out of my hair. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My pregnancy book (The Panic Free Pregnancy) says that studies have "found absolutely no risk involved in using hair dye while pregnant" and that bleaching also appears to be safe. It says the only study that found an association between hair care and miscarriages was done on cosmetologists who spend more than 40 hours a week around the stuff. The book's final thoughts on this "There is absolutely no reason to believe that hair treatments can hurt your pregnancy."
    My only change will be asking my stylist not to put me under the chair dryer that helps my highlights process faster. The fumes blowing down into my face already bother me so why breathe it in while pregnant.
    Side note- my father and some of my good friends are stylists. None of the girls working for my dad have ever had issues with their pregnancies, nor have any of my friends. Not that it means it's safe bc they didn't, just a little something extra to ease your mind 

• I use John Frieda Go Blonder spray but am holding off until 2nd tri just to be safe. Its a very minimal amount and really just a spritz but it goes right on my roots and doesn't get washed off until the next day's shower
    BabyGaga
  • Both OBs for my two pregnancies have said hair color is absolutely safe, and I have two beautiful healthy girls.  (With the pregnancy I lost, I did not color my hair.)
  • My OB told me not to do it at all (I wrote a thread about this early on).  My roots are horribly grey and it is so obvious because my hair is otherwise dark brown.  I am super self conscious about it.  I am 31 and it makes me look 51.  I use Rita Hazan root stay to cover it but it's kinda gross.  My tentative plan is to wait until the second tri and get my roots done then see if I can make it through with the spray until after baby comes, or maybe get them done one additional time.  I can't just leave it.  Well see.  Definitely not doing it in the first tri
  • As a former hair stylist that worked through two full pregnancies, using color daily and having my own hair colored every 4-6 weeks for all 3 pregnancies you will be fine. The color is not entering your blood stream and doesn't have as harsh of chemicals as a long long time ago. 
    I have had 4 different OB's and not one of them has ever been concerned.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My salon offers a Goldwell dye that is ammonia free. That is what I'll be using to avoid looking scary during pregnancy. 
  • As a surrogate, I am contractually not allowed to color my hair until the second trimester. It stinks. My appointment will be on day 1 of my second tri.

I colored my hair through both pregnancies with my girls without issue. Hair dye is much more gentle than it was even 20 years ago, and I only highlight anyway so nothing directly on the skin.