1st Trimester

supplement drink to gain weight?

Okay so throughout this pregnancy (12wks today) I've lost 8lbs....I have no morning sickness and I eat more than I used to....often....I'm always hungry. ...and I just keep eating. Yet every time I've been to the OB I've lost weight. They keep chaulking it up to "morning sickness" which I keep telling them I don't have. But so far baby is healthy.

Losing weight is concerning me and I'd at least like to be maintaining weight. I snack all day at work then still eat my meals. Sometimes when work is busy I won't be able to step out back for a minute to chew my food for like half an hour (i get hungry in that half an hour :P ) but I'm always able to have a drink on hand.

What are some supplement/nutrition drinks I could try?

My mom said Pediasure....not sure if she was kidding. 

Re: supplement drink to gain weight?

• I drank Carnation Breakfast Essentials just prior to and during the first few weeks after getting my BFP. I've heard other women doing it through their first tri. when they had bad MS. Just make sure you drink it between meals as a snack that way you're not replacing a meal with the drink.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • noelani42noelani42 member
    edited February 2016
    If your doctor isn't concerned, I'd wait on it...I lost 10 pounds in my first trimester with my first, but more than made up for it in my 2nd and 3rd trimesters ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with @noelani42  If your doctor isn't concered, and baby is healthy, wait it out a bit. If you're eating a lot, and taking prenatal vitamins, you should be okay. 

If you really feel that you have to gain weight, you can always add in protein shakes. I'd just run it by your doc first to be sure the brand you use is baby safe.
  • Weight loss is common in first tri, but I would run it by your doctor. Maybe it's water loss....are you drinking enough liquids? I'm not sure about health shakes, but keep us posted on what works:)
  • if you've been eating healthier than you were before that could be what's causing the weightloss. cutting out things like wine/alcohol, pop, etc. really helps the pounds shed off. so that could be it.

honestly, if your doctor's aren't concerned with your weight loss & your child is healthy, i dont think you should be trying to force yourself to gain weight bt chugging back supplement drinks. 12 weeks is still really early.. i didn't start gaining any weight until almost 20 weeks. maybe just have a talk with your doctor about your concerns before doing this..?
  • I'm 23 weeks and am still gaining back the weight I lost during my first tri.  My doctor wasn't concerned with my weight loss then and the baby was measuring right on target at my 20 week anatomy scan.  Eat when you're hungry and let your body do the rest.  The only time I added in any supplement drinks was when I wasn't able to keep much food down and I knew I needed more protein but it sounds like you don't have that issue.  

• Walmart had SlimFast high protein shake powder on clearance so I bought one! Has 5g of fiber too. From what i can tell they seem safe to drink while pregnant? 
    I feel like a supplement drink will help me just because when we get busy at work I don't have a second to step out back & chew my snacks but I can keep a drink with me.

I doubt it'll make me gain weight but at least maintaining would make me happy. My clothes fit so weird right now.
  • FemShep said:
    Walmart had SlimFast high protein shake powder on clearance so I bought one! Has 5g of fiber too. From what i can tell they seem safe to drink while pregnant? 
    I feel like a supplement drink will help me just because when we get busy at work I don't have a second to step out back & chew my snacks but I can keep a drink with me.

I doubt it'll make me gain weight but at least maintaining would make me happy. My clothes fit so weird right now.
    I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me.  If you're looking purely to gain weight, why would you drink a diet shake that's full,of chemicals?  Grab some drinkable yogurt or a smoothie, but skip the artificially-sweetened diet crap. 
    I've got to agree here, there are some great options like Boost and Ensure that are designed to give you lots of nutrients and to help you gain weight.  Slim fast, on the other hand, is designed as a weight LOSS tool, not a weight gain tool (although I think part of the "loss" effect is from using it to replace meals).  I would personally stay away from things like SlimFast and go more to the adult versions of pedialyte (to me, things like Boost or Ensure).
  • Boost or ensure are what I have had to live off of because I have HG but you really shouldn't be forcing yourself to gain weight. Your body will gain the weight it needs to as long as you are eating right. Like pp's have said if your doctor isn't concerned I wouldn't be either. 
  • Honestly, if your doctor isn't worried about your weight loss then I wouldn't be doing anything other than trying to eat as well as you can. Weight loss during the first trimester is common enough and doesn't necessarily mean anything is "wrong". It could just be your body adjusting, a higher motabolism, eating differently. 

I didn't have bad morning sickness or nausea and I lost weight during my first Tri and I haven't gained that much for a twin pregnancy so far. I was really worried initially but the babies are growing fine and the doctors are happy. 
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• FemShep said:
    Walmart had SlimFast high protein shake powder on clearance so I bought one! Has 5g of fiber too. From what i can tell they seem safe to drink while pregnant? 

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me.  If you're looking purely to gain weight, why would you drink a diet shake that's full,of chemicals?  Grab some drinkable yogurt or a smoothie, but skip the artificially-sweetened diet crap. 
    Have you read the nutrient label? There's 220calories, 20g protein & 5g fiber. It's a meal replacement shake.....if most people drank it & ate their regular meals, they would gain weight. It reduces your appetite by replacing a normal meal. My boss drinks them as a snack & she has by no means lost weight.

My doctor wasn't concerned because she kept assuming I have morning sickness....which I don't. Im actually starving all the time & have been eating so much I'm tired of having to eat. Especially out with friends, they get annoyed when you ask to stop at a gas station every half hour to grab a snack.

Thank you all for the responses! I had it at work this morning & it was a big help, when I got busy I could just sip on it as I was grilling sausage. ..my boss liked it too because I didn't have to go out back so much.
  • There is no harm in losing weight, especially in your first trimester.  If your Dr isn't concerned I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. 
    But if you're still anxious and looking for supplements, I'd drink a Carnation Instant Breakfast or a protein shake in between meals and see if that helps.
    Good luck!