May 2016 Moms

Deep clean of house - before or after baby?

My parents (who are awesome) offered to pay for a deep clean of our house as a baby gift.  We have a regular monthly cleaning service we use, who quoted us a reasonable price for a deep clean.  Our regular monthly cleaning date for May is the 16th, and I'm due the 23rd.  Question is, would you rather have the deep clean done a week or so before baby arrives (I am not expecting to be early at this point) or wait until after, or at least closer to due date?  Other factors are we have a dog, cat and toddler who between the three of them will probably get things messy again pretty quickly!  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Deep clean of house - before or after baby?

• I would say before. That way you (and baby) comes home to a clean house. And it's one thing less on your mind. 

• Loading the player...
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited February 2016
    Honestly, my ideal time would be while I'm in the hospital-- though I'm not sure how much notice you have to give to schedule it.

I have this concern that I'm going to deep clean the week before my due date (which I did last time) and then, since DH and DS will be there for 2-3 days, (rather than the house being empty like last time) I'm going to return to a freaking war zone. I know DH's primary concern will be keeping DS entertained and safe, which should be his main focus, but it means the house is likely to look like a tornado went through.

Considering you have a toddler at home too, I think that a deep clean afterwards may be better-- as long as you don't think it'll disrupt your daily activities.
  • Before. MIL is actually planning on watching the dog while we're not home and she said she would 'pick up' at the house while she was there. Honestly I feel like it's a way for her to get to snoop, but if she cleans the house at the same time I really don't think I'll care.
  • I'd definitely go with before. We personally got all the carpets steamed a few weeks ago before we put in the furniture in the nursery. We have regular cleaning every second week, so I'm just going to hope it falls just before I give birth. But otherwise, I'll be home for a few weeks before with nothing better to do, so I may just go crazy cleaning (who knows?)
  • What an awesome gift! 

I would do it before.  It will give you that sense of 'I'm ready'.  Plus the deep cleaning is what lasts longer than the everyday messes and clutter that animals and kids make.

• Definitely before. I can't wait to book ours. I schedule a deep cleaning twice a year since we also have a toddler and dog that sheds. We have a cleaning service once a week and 3 days later our apartment needs to be vacuumed again, so I feel your pain. 

Maybe see what their availability is and explain the situation, and just cancel/rebook closer to when your due date? I did that last time so I could have appointments as close to my delivery as possible. 
  • I would say before too. I agree that while you're in the hospital would be ideal if they could make that happen.

When we were in the hospital my MIL pretty much deep cleaned our entire house (I didn't ask her to do so) and I about bawled my eyes out when we got home with the baby....thanks hormones. It was so wonderful to have it so clean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FWIW - I work from home, and we have cleaners come twice a month. We never really get in each other's way. If they want to clean my office, they usually save it for last, and I take my laptop to another room.

I vote before, though. That way everything is nice and tidy, and you can really think about how best to organize things as you get into a rhythm/routine with a newborn. Easier to do with a clean house.
  • Before. Before. Before. I can't stress this enough. I had a deep clean done the week before DD came and OMG it was a huge relief when we came home from the hospital. Everything was clean, in order, and it helped too with newborn pics when the photographer got to the house bc I didn't have to clean up and she could easily set up.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Before! I wouldn't want it done while I'm home. If there's ever a reason I have to be home on our regularly scheduled cleaning day, I cancel it because I feel weird!