May 2016 Moms

Entertainment Thread (February)

Thought since a lot of us are feeling sluggish lately and getting the sleepiness back (yay!) I would do a check in to see if anyone had some new books, shows, movies, articles, magazines, websites, etc. they have really started enjoying and want to share. God forbid anyone goes on bed rest but I've been off and on and sometimes get super bored. What's good ladies?

Movies
I watched The Longest Ride the other day which is your typical Sparks movie but it was cute. Creepy how much Scott Eastwood looks like his dad! I've been more drawn to Lifetime movies lately... Weird. They have some good ones generating right now though.

Books
I'm on the second book on Mrs Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. It's pretty good. I'm halfway through and ready for the solution to the story's problem to be solved.

Shows
Still loving the OJ Simpson show. The Goldbergs, Shades of Blue, and Life In Pieces have become regulars. I've let go of American Crime, Mom, Greys, How To Get Away With Murder...

Websites
I'm shamefully obsessed with Buzzfeed.

Been married since 2009.
Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
Several MCs
DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

Re: Entertainment Thread (February)

• I couldn't tell you the last movie I've watched. As I get older, my attention span is getting shorter and shorter so I don't think movies are for me anymore...

But give me a good reality show anytime. Obsessed with Rattled. Helps that DH likes to watch with me! I agree, the OJ special is good, but anyone else hate Cuba as oj? He just doesn't fit him and it's hard for me to buy him as oj. We also really like American Crime- great plot twist this week! Amazingly well written show and acted show. I've been wanting to get Ito Shades of Blue-maybe this weekend. 

cat fail animated GIF

• @yogahh I think Cuba is too small and John T is too big to play his character.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Loading the player...
  • Movies: SO and I went to see How To Be Single last weekend and it was very funny and super cute. Although I'm not sure he agreed but he did laugh a lot!

Shows: I started watching New Girl on Netflix and I binge watch Roseanne. Will never stop loving that show!

• Movies: Haven't watched a lot of new stuff lately. DH and I have been slowly going through the Harry Potter series on the nights he isn't working, but other than that I've mostly been watching a lot of documentaries and TED Talks. Thinking of binging my way through The Lizzie Bennet Diaries again, though...

Books: Am currently alternating between The Lake House (Kate Morton, not related to the movie) and The Cuckoo's Calling (Robert Galbraith). Enjoying both so far!

Shows: I've been watching a lot of MythHunters while folding laundry (I've been so focused on the nursery that I let that task slide, and its really built up lately). Probably shouldn't, though, because I just keep getting annoyed by some of the people the show is profiling. Am also planning on starting Fuller House since it's out now, which I'm very nervous about because I loved the original show as a kid. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• For shows, I *loved* Lilyhammer, which is available on Netflix. It's about a guy from the Italian mafia who enters the witness protection program and goes to Lillehammer, Norway because he watched '94 Olympics on TV and thought it looked beautiful. Very funny show, although the third (and final) season was just meh. 

I just started watching Angie Tribeca which is HILARIOUS. If you like Naked Gun/Airplane!, you'll love it. Lots and lots of stupid humor. 
  • Shows: Definitely currently obsessed with Rattled. DH hates reality TV though so I'm on my own there. We're big Walking Dead fans and that just started back up. Also, Better Call Saul. We were really big on Breaking Bad so we're really liking this... Then whatever I decide to binge watch on Netflix which is currently nothing. I am excited about Fuller House though so maybe I'll start watching that and hopefully not end up disappointed.

Websites
    I'm shamefully obsessed with Buzzfeed.

I feel like between here and Buzzfeed my entire day is gone so I completely understand. :wink: 
  • Movies
    I haven't seen anything lately! Does a Thomas the Tank Engine mini-movie count?

Shows
    DH and I have been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm after DS goes to bed. DH loves it; I'm not impressed. It has funny moments, but I just can't help but be annoyed at Larry's character for getting himself into most of the jams by being either sort of-- or very much-- a jerk.

Books
    I've started The House of Silk but I know it's going to take me forever to finish it since I try to use most of my alone time/down time to clean/do everyday chore stuff, spend time with DS or DH, work on nesting projects, or of course, mindlessly bump!

Websites
    Pinterest! I've been stockpiling freezer/crockpot meals and freezer/fridge organization ideas lately.
  • @yogahh I think Cuba is too small and John T is too big to play his character.
    AGREE and Schwimmer is too big to play Kardash
  • Movies
    Recently watched Mad Max: Fury Road on HBO Go and it was really good. Violent and intense, but good. Also watched Love, The Coopers and thought it was really bad.

Shows
    DH and I watched the entire first season of Love on Netflix last weekend and really enjoyed it. I'm really excited that Girls and Walking Dead are back. I am also still into The Fosters, Fixer Upper, and Top Chef.

Books
    Still reading The Happiest Baby on the Block which is really great. Ever since I got pregnant I just can't get into fiction which is sad because I used to read all the time.

Websites
    I love Bored Panda! I also find myself reading more parenting blogs like Babble and Scary Mommy.
  • Books: I just started Winter of the World by Ken Follett and I'm loving it.

Movies:  We watched Sisters, Black Mass and Steve Jobs last week. Sisters was kind of funny, Black Mass was crazy violent but I really liked Steve Jobs.

TV: We just started watching the second season of French version of "The Returned" on netflix. It is super spooky. If you don't mind subtitles (I love them--- I use them on English language programs too), I highly recommend it.  Also, did anyone else watch the Republican debate last night? Putting aside politics altogether, it was hilarious! So much squabbling and the Donald just insulting everyone, including the moderators... 

• KaKip said:
    Books: I just started Winter of the World by Ken Follett and I'm loving it.

Movies:  We watched Sisters, Black Mass and Steve Jobs last week. Sisters was kind of funny, Black Mass was crazy violent but I really liked Steve Jobs.

TV: We just started watching the second season of French version of "The Returned" on netflix. It is super spooky. If you don't mind subtitles (I love them--- I use them on English language programs too), I highly recommend it.  Also, did anyone else watch the Republican debate last night? Putting aside politics altogether, it was hilarious! So much squabbling and the Donald just insulting everyone, including the moderators... 

I had to go into another room to do something else... I was just getting so irritated with all the attacking. It was hilarious, but OMG you're adults trying to become the leader of this country... You should probably act like it.
  • dsmith211 said:
    KaKip said:
    Books: I just started Winter of the World by Ken Follett and I'm loving it.

I had to go into another room to do something else... I was just getting so irritated with all the attacking. It was hilarious, but OMG you're adults trying to become the leader of this country... You should probably act like it.
    It's a shit show. I am a Republican, and embarrassed that this is the best we got going for us. But I thoroughly enjoyed Rubio shitting all over Trump. The guy is a complete donkey butt, and has no idea what he is even talking about. Trump is bashing Rubio for not being a "businessman". Um hello moron. You are running for PRESIDENT. Not for a new job as a businessman. How he is ahead in the polls is mind blowing. He should be careful who he calls a "loser". The guy is the biggest loser POS I have ever seen. But he does make for entertaining debates!

cat fail animated GIF

• I liked when Rubio kept saying to Donald "We're not talking about real estate deals" when Donald suggested he might have a very good chance of bringing peace to the Middle East... 

The Donald sure thinks highly of himself... 
  • @LadySamLady  did you watch Top Chef last night?  :(
  • I just went to see Deadpool last weekend.  I really liked the movie, but am I the only one that gets annoyed with unnecessary nudity?  Also some of the jokes were really really dirty which I felt was unnecessary.  But overall very funny. 
  • VS2016 said:
    I just went to see Deadpool last weekend.  I really liked the movie, but am I the only one that gets annoyed with unnecessary nudity?  Also some of the jokes were really really dirty which I felt was unnecessary.  But overall very funny. 
    Unnecessary nudity bugs me, but it's Deadpool! It's supposed to be dirty and offensive :)
  • @VS2016 I get annoyed at unnecessary nudity also. It makes me feel like they've chosen objectification/box office money over character development.
  • Movies: The last movie I saw was Sisters. It was pretty funny, yet not as funny as I was hoping it would be.

Books: Confession: I'm a librarian and haven't picked up a book in 2-3 months. I'm just so sleepy at the end of the day. I do read a lot of articles and blogs online though - see below.

TV: Currently watching Better Call Saul and Downton Abbey. I just finished re-watching The Sopranos in its entirety. That took me about 6 months. Honestly, even watching TV is challenging. I usually doze off in my La-Z-Boy recliner (which BTW is also a rocking chair and totally amazing to sit in with your nursing or sleeping baby).

Websites: avclub.com - I'm a big dork and love to read a critical analyses of episodes of tv shows I watch. xojane.com, slate.com

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• As for the Republican debate, I am so glad that we are finally acknowledging that Donald Trump has no idea what he is doing. He has no clue how politics work and is completely unqualified for the job. Every time he speaks, I just end up scratching my head and getting frustrated that he is leading in the polls. WTF America?! As an Independent, I really like to make informed decisions based on the platform and not the party, but I can't find a single Republican nominee that doesn't make my skin crawl. And that is too bad because I can't see either Democratic nominee really doing the job that needs to be done. Ugh, it is stressing me out!

The last movie I saw was The Good Dinosaur. Can we talk about this for a second? Those who have seen it (either STMs or people who just like animated films), were you absolutely disturbed or am I being too sensitive? My poor son (who loves dinosaurs BTW) was not enjoying it, but I kept holding out hope that it would get better. No such luck. Another mom and I kept looking at each other in shock and disgust. Regardless of it not being a good kids movie, it just wasn't a good movie in general. I was so disappointed. Thankfully, we only paid $5 and it was for a local cinema restoration fundraiser so no big loss, but it was only the 2nd movie my son has seen in theaters and I felt bad he had such an unpleasant experience. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • As for the Republican debate, I am so glad that we are finally acknowledging that Donald Trump has no idea what he is doing. He has no clue how politics work and is completely unqualified for the job. Every time he speaks, I just end up scratching my head and getting frustrated that he is leading in the polls. WTF America?! As an Independent, I really like to make informed decisions based on the platform and not the party, but I can't find a single Republican nominee that doesn't make my skin crawl. And that is too bad because I can't see either Democratic nominee really doing the job that needs to be done. Ugh, it is stressing me out!

The last movie I saw was The Good Dinosaur. Can we talk about this for a second? Those who have seen it (either STMs or people who just like animated films), were you absolutely disturbed or am I being too sensitive? My poor son (who loves dinosaurs BTW) was not enjoying it, but I kept holding out hope that it would get better. No such luck. Another mom and I kept looking at each other in shock and disgust. Regardless of it not being a good kids movie, it just wasn't a good movie in general. I was so disappointed. Thankfully, we only paid $5 and it was for a local cinema restoration fundraiser so no big loss, but it was only the 2nd movie my son has seen in theaters and I felt bad he had such an unpleasant experience. 
    Not even Sexy Rubio ;) Look at these boyish good looks!

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    As for the Republican debate, I am so glad that we are finally acknowledging that Donald Trump has no idea what he is doing. He has no clue how politics work and is completely unqualified for the job. Every time he speaks, I just end up scratching my head and getting frustrated that he is leading in the polls. WTF America?! As an Independent, I really like to make informed decisions based on the platform and not the party, but I can't find a single Republican nominee that doesn't make my skin crawl. And that is too bad because I can't see either Democratic nominee really doing the job that needs to be done. Ugh, it is stressing me out!

Not even Sexy Rubio ;) Look at these boyish good looks!

Eh...sometimes he seems a little too slick for me. He did gain major points for really giving it to Trump and not backing down though.

BabyFruit Ticker

YES to this entire opinion. I'm legitimately getting nervous for what's going to happen.
  • kami09 said:
    @LadySamLady  did you watch Top Chef last night?  :(
    I did! It was surprising, I thought he would go to the finale! 

I'm with you.  I have no interest in Hilary or Bernie whatsoever.  I don't see Congress working with either of them.  Especially Hilary...but if the choice is her or Trump...I may have to just write in my dog.
  • Movies
    I just watched The Witch - it's supposed to be a horror movie, and as a self-admitted horror movie junkie, i will warn you, it's not your traditional horror movie. It's more like a Puritan fairy tale - a very very dark Puritan Fairy Tale. That being said, I liked it. I have to mull it over for a bit more, but my initial reaction is that I liked it. 

Books
    I am currently getting around to both The Black Rabbit Literary Society (recommended by a friend) and Gloria Steinam's My Life on the Road. I just finished my friend's newest book (that I helped edit) Her Wicked Proposal, and I read on and off the big book of Pregnancy/Childbirth/Newborn Care book. 

Shows
    I watched all of the new series on Netflix, Cooked. It was ... interesting. Lots of info, but also I just can't with Michael Pollan. The second season of the French Les Revenant (The Returned) just got uploaded to Netflix as well, so ... that will be my weekend (after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Sequel). And I am annoyed at the end of the x-Files, open-mouthed at this week's ending off HTGAWM and looking forward to my guilty icecream and cuddling under the blanket watch of Dateline tonight. 

Websites
    Wonkette is my new politics primer. Or at least, where I go for the lolz. Also Buzzfeed and Pinterest - we're starting to do the whole nursery thing. Lastly, PBS SoCal, because I keep missing their docs when they air due to passing out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Movies:
    Err... last one I saw was Star Wars.  DH went with his friends to go see Deadpool, but I've never really been into the character so I'm fine with waiting until it comes out on DVD (sidenote: apparently at the showing DH was at, someone had brought their first grader to it - and it wasn't a mistake, i.e. didn't realize about the R rating, because they didn't leave and after the movie the dad asked the kid how he liked it.  WTF.)

Books:
    I fiiiiinally finished Bringing Up Bébé, which I enjoyed.  I have a lot of books out from the library, but I usually just can't find the motivation to read them.

Shows:
    I'm on hold at the library for the first seasons of Community and Brooklyn 99, which I'm looking forward to!  I watched the first two episodes of Rattled online, but it looks like they aren't going to release the last for public consumption and that makes me sad.

Games (anyone else?):
    I'm playing Fallout 4 with DH's help, because I'm terrible at shooters.  DH always makes his characters the most bad ass around, amazing fighter blah blah blah, and I'm just looking forward to romancing everyone and building up settlements around the Commonwealth.
    Anniversary

• @arj14 I'm not into games. However, when I was younger I played Nintendo, Mario Bros stuff, Wii games, etc. DH loves Fallout, Batman Arkam-something?, Black Ops, etc. I know he would appreciate my effort at least if I showed some interest in occasionally playing with him. What games would you recommend based off of my repertoire I listed? Haha. I don't want to say hey yeah I'm going to play and TOTALLY suck so much that I drag the game down, you know?
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Movies: I saw 2 movies this week! (That never happens!) "Risen" is well made and done from a cool perspective. The scenes of Jesus on the cross are amazingly moving and while hard to watch are extremely realistic. I like that it doesn't romanticize or sugar coat it like other Jesus films. Go see it before Easter!
    I went to a pre-screening of "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" which comes out next week. Love Tina Fey!!! I wish I had known it was based on a book by Kim Barker, "The Taliban Shuffle", I am planning to read that next. Really interesting, funny, and a tiny pinch romantic comedy. My husband found it pretty nostalgic as he has done a tour in Afghanistan. 
    Books: Reading "We Bought a Zoo", please pass the tissues...
    Shows: Watching Cupcake Wars on Netflix with my daughter (9) and making our own gourmet cupcakes every weekend! Also watching About a Boy on Netflix - really cute and Minnie Driver steals the show imo!

• Does anyone here watch Married at First Sight?? I actually find it very interesting.
  • @kami09 A friend of mine does and I always forget to watch!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• @kami09 I do and I love it! The first season was great, the second was a disaster, and I'm liking this season. I'm really rooting for tres and Vanessa. 
  • babyfmama said:
    @kami09 I do and I love it! The first season was great, the second was a disaster, and I'm liking this season. I'm really rooting for tres and Vanessa. 
    This is the first season I've watched & I love it! I do like Vanessa and Tres...but I LOVE Neil and Sam. Sam I hated at first, but Neil is such a sweetheart...I'm rooting for them.
    On the other hand, I did not like Ashley..but David seemed so sketchy to me at the same time.
  • @doozer1345 I will pick DH's brain for you!  Fallout isn't my usual fare for what I play, but I will get some suggestions for you :)
    Anniversary

• @doozer1345 My DH is a gamer and I am not. But sometimes he will get something that we could play together - fighting games is fun cause you can just press buttons furiously and still win (haha). So Mortal Kombat and such works great for us. And even the racing games like Forza. Injustice is also a good one if you like superheroes. 
  • @doozer1345 I'm not very skilled at shooter games either, but I did like Borderlands, and Resident Evil 5 and 6. The RE games are actually my preference because they are both played in third person (where you can see your character's body) instead of first person (where you only see what your character sees). Once you figure out what you're doing in those, it's easy to fall into a good pattern of team work as you go through the storyline. Borderlands is a first person shooter, but I don't struggle with it the way I do with games like Call of Duty and whatnot. 

DH and I aren't big fans of two player games otherwise...most of the time we play single player RPGs (role playing games) like the games in the Final Fantasy series or Assassin's Creed or Dragon Age (my favorite!) or Mass Effect or even the more recent Tomb Raider titles. Sometimes we'll play alone and sometimes we'll alternate playing when the other person's character dies, with one person playing and the other person providing snarky commentary/occasionally looking up stuff when we get stuck. It's like watching an interactive movie together - games like these tend to have a good storyline and lots of character development. 

I'll keep an eye out for more suggestions, but in the meantime check these out and see if any of them might be up your alley. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I watched Room today and it was a very intense, well done movie. I wouldn't recommend it unless you need a good cry but it was very moving. 

Also saw Trumbo this weekend, it was also very good but a little boring.