Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Switching LO into his own room.

My son is 2 and half months and is out-growing his bassinet.... I can't help but feel super sad that I won't be able to have him right beside me at night! Any other mommys feeling sad about the transition from their bedroom to the babies room?

Re: Switching LO into his own room.

• I did the switch when LO was about 14weeks (I think?). I did experience some separation anxiety - I felt like I was sending him off to college! But I seem to sleep better with him not there. Disclaimer: He is still a terrible sleeper, in his crib now, as he was in our room, because he wakes up every 2-4 hours but if I can squeeze in 3 hours of a cat nap myself with him in the other room, it seems to be a deeper sleep for me since I'm not hearing every one of his sniffs. 
  • I had a little separation anxiety when we did the transition this week.  However, my little guy turned 6 months yesterday which I think helped my anxiety a little because I feel more comfortable with him being older and knowing that the risk of SIDS is reduced.  He is still in his bassinet though for NT but naps in his crib. Hoping to make that transition soon as we want to start sleep training.  He wakes about every 1.5 to 2 hours at night.  Trying to figure out if I do crib first then sleep train or do them simultaneously.  
  • Loading the player...
  • We are going to shift back to our own bedroom after Easter. (We have a bed in her room.)  By then the LO will be almost 4 months old. We're going out of town, so it seems like a good time to make the transition, since she'll already be out-of-sync.  I am very nervous- she isn't particularly demanding when she needs something and already sleeps 7-9 hours overnight.  Meanwhile I wake up every 3-4 hours b/c I'm nervous about her. I suppose being in different rooms won't change that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my first I had that guilt. When DD turns 3 months we plan on transitioning her into her own room and laying her down in the crib with the mobile on to help her fall asleep. Hopefully it all works out. If not we will keep trying. DD would do no good sleeping in bed with us. Too scared to SIDS and my husband possibly rolling on top of her. 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• Im so happy I found this thread. My LO just turned 6 months...I have this anxiety about moving him into his own room in his crib. I think its more of a ME problem and not so much he isn't ready for it.  He is currently sleeping well (please knock on wood)...so part of me doesn't want to move him to ruin both of our nights sleep. However, I have been putting it off for a VERY long time! He is 6 months but is in the 98th percentile for height and weight -- and well outgrew the rock N play so I got a bassinet...now he is in the bassinet and I had to move him twice last night because he is starting to try and basically move in a circle when he sleeps ha (his feet are currently touching the bottom of the bassinet and my fear is he is outgrowing my last final try to keep him in our room.  I don't know if its more of an anxiety of not seeing him next to me, me realizing he is going to be so grown up in there all alone, or if Im worried about something else. It just makes me so sad... I really don't want to do it. :(  just really as he is growing I am running out of options. Co-sleeping works sometimes with us but when I do I don't sleep well and I don't think he does either seems to fidget a lot (maybe because I don't let him out of my arms due to my DH in bed with us and my fear of rolling).

I think I just need to read/hear/be told it is going to be ok and that (only if necessary) it is best for him. :( I don't know. I just don't want to do it ha

• Im so happy I found this thread. My LO just turned 6 months...I have this anxiety about moving him into his own room in his crib. I think its more of a ME problem and not so much he isn't ready for it.  He is currently sleeping well (please knock on wood)...so part of me doesn't want to move him to ruin both of our nights sleep. However, I have been putting it off for a VERY long time! He is 6 months but is in the 98th percentile for height and weight -- and well outgrew the rock N play so I got a bassinet...now he is in the bassinet and I had to move him twice last night because he is starting to try and basically move in a circle when he sleeps ha (his feet are currently touching the bottom of the bassinet and my fear is he is outgrowing my last final try to keep him in our room.  I don't know if its more of an anxiety of not seeing him next to me, me realizing he is going to be so grown up in there all alone, or if Im worried about something else. It just makes me so sad... I really don't want to do it. :(  just really as he is growing I am running out of options. Co-sleeping works sometimes with us but when I do I don't sleep well and I don't think he does either seems to fidget a lot (maybe because I don't let him out of my arms due to my DH in bed with us and my fear of rolling).

I think I just need to read/hear/be told it is going to be ok and that (only if necessary) it is best for him. :( I don't know. I just don't want to do it ha

Due to his size, it seems like a safety reason to move him to his crib. Do you have a baby monitor? Or can you sleep in his room the first few nights to smooth out the transition?
  • That is what I had to tell myself with the rock and play too... I just need to bite the bullet and do it for his sake. We are going to start with naps this weekend and possibly one night in the crib.. (just in case his sleeping through the night changes with the new sleeping area I don't have to get up for work in the morning).  I do have a baby monitor and know I can hook it up to look at him when I want.... and my DH already joked when we spoke about this weekend he will make sure to bring a sleeping bag in his room for me ha
  • My baby is 4 months and sleeps in my room. I let her nap in her crib during the day but I'm not ready to put her in her room yet !! I'm hoping I feel a little more at ease when she turns 6 months. Luckily she sleeps through the night. Every once in a while she will wake up once in the night but I can't complain. She has been easy from the start